ADVERTISEMENT

The portal is now open!

southflcock

Nov 6, 2001
Going out:
Satterfield
All the QB’s
Some of the offensive and defensive lines(2*)

coming in:
QB
QB
QB
Receivers
OL
OL
OL
OL
OL
OL

we aren’t going to make a difference with 3* players in the SEC. We must aim for the top from now on and never settle on a player just because he’s from SC. We need to broaden out of state more. Concentrate on the 4.5-5* in state only. With Beamer’s history he can do this.

Going out:
Satterfield
All the QB’s

coming in:
QB
QB
QB
Receivers
OL
OL
OL
OL
OL
OL

we aren’t going to make a difference with 3* players in the SEC. We must aim for the top from now on and never settle on a player just because he’s from SC. We need to broaden out of state more. Concentrate on the 4.5-5* in state only. With Beamer’s history he can do this.
Good luck with that!

Some of you think getting great players from the portal is like filling a shopping cart at Publix. It isn’t that easy.

Guys go into the portal for different reasons. Some aren’t good enough to play where they’re at, some are clubhouse cancers, some are late developers and some are good to play at most places but are stuck behind a very good player.

The latter two are what we want, and they’re in high demand.

Some people bitch about who we got from the portal last time, but the vast majority contributed. I think CSB and the staff did a pretty good job filling needs.

The flip side, I don’t think the guys we lost to the portal really shined where they went.

CSB needs to mine the portal carefully, getting good players with the right attitude who can be coached up.

Coach Beamer needs to hit the Powerball with the portal. If not, the team could appear to regress next year. Lastly, the portal works both ways. I’m concerned with the RB’s. If Lloyd / Harris enter the portal, not good.

Some of you think getting great players from the portal is like filling a shopping cart at Publix. It isn’t that easy.

Guys go into the portal for different reasons. Some aren’t good enough to play where they’re at, some are clubhouse cancers, some are late developers and some are good to play at most places but are stuck behind a very good player.

Some people bitch about who we got from the portal last time, but the vast majority contributed. I think CSB and the staff did a pretty good job filling needs.

The flip side, I don’t think the guys we lost to the portal really shined where they went.

CSB needs to mine the portal carefully, getting good players with the right attitude who can be coached up.
Yeah, I’m not optimistic about turning things around by shopping the portal. I just don’t see it.
i realize this was year zero, but CSB has to recruit better than 2* and 3* guys if he’s going to win here (spare me the “but so-and-so was a 2* crap). It’s tough to recruit here - Spurrier drew talent with his name, AND was able to ‘coach ‘em up’.

Yeah, I’m not optimistic about turning things around by shopping the portal. I just don’t see it.
i realize this was year zero, but CSB has to recruit better than 2* and 3* guys if he’s going to win here (spare me the “but so-and-so was a 2* crap). It’s tough to recruit here - Spurrier drew talent with his name, AND was able to ‘coach ‘em up
We are currently 21st nationally in recruiting and 9th in the SEC. Beamer was supposed to be some super duper recruiter. That's what his supporters were telling us when they were pushing for him. Thus far, it looks like we were sold a bill of goods. Muschamp recruited better.

Reactions: uscwatson21
We are currently 21st nationally in recruiting and 9th in the SEC. Beamer was supposed to be some super duper recruiter. That's what his supporters were telling us when they were pushing for him. Thus far, it looks like we were sold a bill of goods. Muschamp recruited better.
I’m not big on giving long, long leashes, but you gotta admit; he came in and in short time had to cobble together his initial class - hence my ‘year zero’ qualifier above. If his ‘22 and ‘23 classes don’t improve, then I’ll be in agreement with you.

Muschamp’s problem was not recruiting. Player development and coaching were his primary problems.

Did the fan portal open, too? If so, some FGF posters may want to put their names in and see if another team is interested.

I am disappointed in last night's score, but this year's team exceeded my expectations. It won six games and qualified for a bowl game, yet many fans still aren't pleased.
Because deep down people know we would have been 7-5 or 8-4 with Muschamp this year

Not an easy job recruiting great players to a team that won two games the previous season, and four the year before that. Great players aren’t flocking to play for a historically mediocre team that won six games in two years.

IMHO he and the staff did a great job overall cobbling together a team with virtually unknown portal players, and changing a bad culture.

I’m not sold on the OC, I think he gets canned if CSB can get an upgrade.

Reactions: WingchunCock

Let me add one other point.
There has to be some kind of enticement for a player to select one school above all others. Not saying it can't be done, but Beamer is going to have a hard sell. If all things were equal maybe this wouldn't be the case, but all things are not equal.

Reactions: 92Pony
It's all about the money moving forward. If you can't afford to get your player's huge endorsement deals, they are going to gravitate toward the universities that will. In an interview with Paul Finebaum before the Alabama-UT game, one of the UT Seniors said the area businesses need to donate to a "common goal" fund so they could get the best players to come to Knoxville with huge, now legal, payouts.

The ones who saw what was coming last night. Not the ones who have been arguing we are well coached all year.
So, you’re the only one who thinks Muschamp would have a better record this year.

I disagree. IMHO we wouldn’t be bowl eligible with Muschamp.

I don’t think we were well coached this year, but I think we were better coached than the last couple years of Muschamp.

Reactions: stu1cocks
And we went out and made it worse...

There's no way to tell at this point. We're playing with the players Muschamp "coached up" and then left for dead. If the offense is this inept in a year from now, I'll jump on your horse and wagon if there's any room left.

Going out:
Satterfield
All the QB’s

coming in:
QB
QB
QB
Receivers
OL
OL
OL
OL
OL
OL

The OL allowed one sack on the day. We couldn't run against a loaded box when Clemson has as tough a front seven as it gets. We needed a passing game to loosen up their defense and hit their weaknesses the way they exploited ours, but we didn't because our QB was only willing to play small ball if a bubble screen was called. We need more development and depth at QB, more talent at WR and more size at DT but despite the OL struggles on the year, they did what could be expected of them last night. We needed to hit the underneath routes that were indeed there early to lighten the box.

The OL allowed one sack on the day. We couldn't run against a loaded box when Clemson has as tough a front seven as it gets. We needed a passing game to loosen up their defense and hit their weaknesses the way they exploited ours, but we didn't because our QB was only willing to play small ball if a bubble screen was called. We need more development and depth at QB, more talent at WR and more size at DT but despite the OL struggles on the year, they did what could be expected of them last night. We needed to hit the underneath routes that were indeed there early to lighten the box.
OL didn’t do crap, we ran for 43 yards on 20 attempts. I’m guessing we had the lowest rushing total of any Clemson opponent all year. Even with them stacking the box 43 yards is a joke, especially considering our RBs are supposedly our best position.

Reactions: uscalumni
OL didn’t do crap, we ran for 43 yards on 20 attempts. I’m guessing we had the lowest rushing total of any Clemson opponent all year. If our OL did what was expected then we are worse off than most realize.
Clemson was devoted to stopping the run, front seven against the run is there biggest strength and they loaded the box, we needed to exploit their weaknesses. We tried that and leaned on the pass and they had very little pass rush. They have maybe the second best LB core we fought. I'm also willing to bet they didn't have many opponents they felt they could give the minimum attention to the pass until it got to 3rd and long.

Clemson was devoted to stopping the run, front seven against the run is there biggest strength and they loaded the box, we needed to exploit their weaknesses. We tried that and leaned on the pass and they had very little pass rush. They have maybe the second best LB core we fought. I'm also willing to bet they didn't have many opponents they felt they could give the minimum attention to the pass until it got to 3rd and long.
You can frame it any way you want, our OL is weak, our players looked slow and our schemes are garbage. They had their way with us better than they did against all of their acc opponents, that speaks volumes!

Reactions: JGH 35
You can frame it any way you want, our OL is weak, our players looked slow and our schemes are garbage. They had their way with us better than they did against all of their acc opponents, that speaks volumes!
Counter point, we passed 43 times not including scrambles and got sacked once, QB play was the greatest weakness.

There were lots of plays there to be made early, I didn't think Brown would consistently throw into double coverage down field and you probably thought he should've started game one.
Hell, that game was over after the first drive and they made it look easy running it right down our throat. If you still think we had a chance based on a few “early opportunities” then you watched a different game.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Counter point, we passed 43 times not including scrambles and got sacked once, QB play was the greatest weakness.
Because he threw it within 2 seconds or else he would have been sacked. You seriously watched a different game, they were better than us at every single position on the field. I didn’t see one player on our offense or defense who would bump a starter from their team. Do you agree?

Hell, that game was over after the first drive and they made it look easy running it right down our throat. If you still think we had a chance based on a few “early opportunities” then you watched a different game.
Nah, it was over after the second interception, which had a guy running wide open for first down yardage ok a crossing route plain as day. There were several early throws where Brown put the ball in danger with wide open guys for first down yardage. He threw a bad interception to an out route that wasn't being run with a receiver that was double covered and a perfectly clean pocket. If he made the throws that were there, Clemson would've had to change their defense and taken someone out of the box. White had 4 yards a carry with a loaded box, why semblance of a passing threat would've helped. Now I gotta ask, if your didn't see anything I just mentioned then what game were you watching

Nah, it was over after the second interception, which had a guy running wide open for first down yardage ok a crossing route plain as day. There were several early throws where Brown put the ball in danger with wide open guys for first down yardage. He threw a bad interception to an out route that wasn't being run with a receiver that was double covered and a perfectly clean pocket. If he made the throws that were there, Clemson would've had to change their defense and taken someone out of the box. White had 4 yards a carry with a loaded box, why semblance of a passing threat would've helped. Now I gotta ask, if your didn't see anything I just mentioned then what game were you watching
Just wow, “if this then that”, that’s your entire argument. We never challenged them, ever!! It’s called execution, good teams do it, we don’t. You have to play mental gymnastics to make yourself feel better about this game, sorry I watched it, it wasn’t even CLOSE, sorry you can’t see that.

Just wow, “if this then that”, that’s your entire argument. We never challenged them, ever!! It’s called execution, good teams do it, we don’t. You have to play mental gymnastics to make yourself feel better about this game, sorry I watched it, it wasn’t even CLOSE, sorry you can’t see that.
What I said is they wanted to force our QB to beat them and he didn't, that's not mental gymnastics, that's what happened. I didn't claim we didn't get beaten, I said it wasn't the OL for two reasons, they sold out against the run which is a fact and they only forced 1 sack, none of the INTs were thrown under pressure and the coverage left guys open underneath, no gymnastics just a list of things you didn't see.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Because he threw it within 2 seconds or else he would have been sacked. You seriously watched a different game, they were better than us at every single position on the field. I didn’t see one player on our offense or defense who would bump a starter from their team. Do you agree?
There were times when the routes could progress but the receivers couldn’t get separation. At the end of the game they shifted to the out routes which was the only way the receivers had any space. We have at best a guy who would be a complimentary receiver but no true number 1 guy that creates room or can fight for the ball. The reason teams stacked for the run is because they could easily play man on the receivers with no concern.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
BS, rewatch the first interception, everyone is blocked execute for I've got that was in position to have a guard pick up the block, he could've gotten a few more seconds by drifting left just a little. The big one where he forced into double coverage was very well blocked.

BS, rewatch the first interception, everyone is blocked execute for I've got that was in position to have a guard pick up the block, he could've gotten a few more seconds by drifting left just a little. The big one where he forced into double coverage was very well blocked.
Coherent much? Try shorter sentences..

Going out:
Satterfield
All the QB’s

coming in:
QB
QB
QB
Receivers
OL
OL
OL
OL
OL
OL

You do know portals are not strictly for players... I've seen fans enter in the transfer portals...

Reactions: southflcock
Not to make excuses but this team played a GA assistant at QB that wasn’t even in the roster until Doty’s foot injury. Then we played a kid from some ‘8 man football’ league in Delaware. The OC is terrible, and either the OL or the scheme are equally as bad. This team won six games, when the consensus was 3.5 to 4 wins. Last night certainly dampened the good vibes after beating Auburn...we looked inept to the worst Clempsun team in five or six years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT