ADVERTISEMENT

The Premiere League explained to an SEC Football fan

R

Reddfoxx1

@Wes Mitchell @kluafymmot2
If you decide start watching the best league in the world, I will do my best to introduce the clubs
This comparison is mostly historical.

European soccer has so many parallels to American College football. These are my 2 favorite sports.
Most of these clubs are “the only thing in town”. Most are in average to small towns. The fan base is incredibly passionate and the club often defines the town or city itself. Rivalries (or Derby’s) are incredibly intense. In the South, it’s only college football for us. It’s a way of life. Allegiances are passed down from generation to generation. You really don’t choose your club. The club chooses you.
So welcome to the Prem.
Soccer is a slow burn. There is a lot to grapple with the international game. Cups. Tournaments. History. Money. Relegation. Promotion.

once it takes hold, it’s hard to get it out of your system.

One thing to know about Soccer. It really doesn’t stop. This 3 month break is the longest break in the sport in decades. The season runs from early August to late May. The Champions League final is in early June. The Summers are for International tourneys like the World Cup, The Euros, Copa America, AFCON. This is where go represent their country. .....Anywho

Who is everyone’s SEC counterpart. This isn’t perfect, but should give you a frame of reference.
@jbmont help me out

1. Manchester United is Alabama
Even though Man U has been down a bit the last few years, they are the elite team of the premiere league. Most Championships. Richest. They wear Red. Both had legendary coaches.
Current best players. Paul Pogba, Marcus Rashford, and Harry McGuire.

2. Manchester City is Auburn
Man City was recently purchased by Sheik Mansour, who pumped unlimited money into the club. They have been the best team over the last 5 years, but maybe some cracks in the arm our are emerging. Like Auburn, they have historically been the little brother to Their rival. Man U and like Auburn, they have bought a couple of titles. They have the 2nd best coach in the world, Pep Guardiola.
Current best players. Kevin De Bruyne, Sergio Aguero, Raheem Sterling

3. Liverpool is LSU
I struggled with this one. Liverpool is really in a different class, but LSU is close. The Passion is insane on both ends, LSU to Alabama is close to Liverpool to Man U. Elite rivals. Lot of of history with the Reds, but they haven’t won the league in 30 years!. That will change in a couple of weeks.
I became a Liverpool fan because of the manager, Juergen Klopp (it’s my avatar). He’s the king. More than just a manager. I’ve been to Baton Rouge a couple of times and watching the LSU fan base in NOLA this past January was epic. They are just different in the Bayou, like they are in Liverpool.
watch this. After Liverpool’s dramatic comeback over Barcelona to make last years Champions League Final.

best current Players. Mo Salah, Sadie Mane, Virgil Van Dyke

4. Chelsea is Florida
Both have had a lot of success in the last 15-20 years, but really were an afterthought before that. Chelsea’s savior was Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich, who bought the club after being turned down by Man U. Stamford Bridge was close to his London home. Florida was saved by Steve Spurrier. Both have geographical advantages. Both feel kind of phony. Chelsea does have American starlet Christian Pulisic.
Current best players. N’Golo Kante, Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham

5. Arsenal is Georgia
Both have history. Both have had legendary players. Both should be awesome every year. Both often fail to live up to expectations. Arsenal is located in north London. Have rich owners. Like Georgia, they held to a coach for too long. Arsenal is VERY frustrating. Can look amazing one week. Then average the next. Support at your own risk.
Current best players. Pierre Aubuymayang, Pepe, Hector Bellerin.

6. Tottenham Hotspur is South Carolina
This one was hard. Both are represented by a chicken. Both have huge fan bases, both have never really won anything. Spurs historically have been a middling club with a few good seasons mixed in. They made the Champions League final last season (A MASSIVE accomplishment). They have England best striker. They just hired Jose Mourinho, one of the more famous coaches in history (like we have done). Spurs have been close, but never have held any trophy.
They are a good team, with some very players. I don’t like them, but it might be the perfect team to support as a Gamecock Fan.
Current best players. Harry Kane, Deli Alli, Heung -Min Son

7. Everton is Texas A&M
Should be better. Always hyped. Have gone through many coaches. Always let you down in the biggest games. Always seem to be one year away. Have had great players leave the club to be better somewhere else. A doormat for the big clubs. Never have an awful season. Never have a great one.
Best player. Richarlison

8. West Ham is Tennessee
Big club. Some history. Rugged fan base. Huge stadium. Hired big coaches, but often struggle. West Ham had a nice heyday, much like the Peyton Manning led years in Knoxville. Located in East London, Let’s just say its not where I’d live (much like Knoxville) Hammers should be better. Not a bad club to root for.
Best player. Anderson. Antonio

9. Leicester City is Mississippi State.
Small town. Overachieving. Have had great unheralded superstars. Have had great coaches. But often overlooked. really fun team. Currently very good. Won the title in 2016 in probably the biggest Upset in sports history. Have also been close to relegation several years. Rough around the edges.
best players. James Maddison. Jamie Vardy. Youri Tielimens

10. Burnley is Kentucky
Defense Defense Defense. Underated coach. Never easy to play. Never really challenges for the title, but never really faces relegation. Always overachieves.
No great players. Just a good team.

I can do more if you guys are interested.
Also love Wolverhampton, who have 10 Portuguese players and a Portuguese coach. Very love able. Maybe they would Ole Miss if Ole Miss were good.

Like others have said, without fans, it isn’t the same, but maybe this will prime you for seasons to come. It’s a great league. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News