ADVERTISEMENT

The refs and Silva....

tngamecock#

Sep 10, 2000
Martin needs to talk to the league cause this has gotten to be a joke. Within 3 minutes the Arkansas player elbows Silva in the face as Silva standing straight up and they call foul on Silva. 2nd foul a few minutes later is a bs call on a screen. A call they never call but did tonight on Silva. Our starting 5 can play with anyone......our bench is weak. Without Silva, it's a game changer and the refs do this every single night now.

Reactions: mavcock
Silva goes out and it's all Razorbacks. He's killing us with dumb fouls. We were wearing them out before he went out.

Silva goes out and it's all Razorbacks. He's killing us with dumb fouls. We were wearing them out before he went out.

Go watch the last 10 games............out of every 5 fouls on him, 2-3 are calls that would never be called on anyone else, and many where he never touches a guy. If Silva tries to take a charge he's always called for the block. He can't even play defense now...........it's not about dumb fouls. They hit him with several bs calls, so his 5th foul always looks dumb.

Reactions: Lakecock1
the college rule of disqualification for five fouls is ridiculous

instituted in the 1944-1945 season

two hand set shots, hook shots, underhanded free throws, etc.

scores in the thirties and forties; games were played below the rim

zebras cannot keep up with the speed of today's games

officiating ineptitude should not be game changers

needs to go to six

the college rule of disqualification for five fouls is ridiculous

instituted in the 1944-1945 season

two hand set shots, hook shots, underhanded free throws, etc.

scores in the thirties and forties; games were played below the rim

zebras cannot keep up with the speed of today's games

officiating ineptitude should not be game changers

needs to go to six

You are probably right. Did you see the 2nd foul they called on Kotsar............he simply whiffed his arm by the AR player and never touched anything but air. Ref called what they thought was going to happen.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Some players get horrible treatment by the refs. Silva is like the complete opposite of Tom Brady, Brady get nearly every "roughing" call he wants while Silva cannot breathe without the zebras penalizing him.

Reactions: jeff2001
My thought : Keita transfers at year end.. ESPN 85th ranked H.S. player barely plays any more.. not blaming Martin

My theory, especially after watching KY game, is our team practices hard and doesn't flop; smart opponents know they'll be rewarded when they flop. KY flops were obvious to me, maybe because they're mostly freshmen. Other opponents are less conspicuous.

Regardless, that's part of the game and Silva has to learn from his experiences. I'm hopeful when tournament play starts that different refs will give him the benefit of doubt.

Silva is the nations foul king. Been that way forever. We lose this game, it's another step backwards.

My thought : Keita transfers at year end.. ESPN 85th ranked H.S. player barely plays any more.. not blaming Martin
then who's fault we have talent sitting? Can he shoot , dribble , pass and hit FT's if yes to any 2 of these play him.

These garbage teams like alabama and arkansas have dream games against us. Then Saturday reality takes hold and they are back to losing by 18-20 points against.500 teams. It makes no sense. Neither of these ho hum teams will even make it to #65 or #66 in the tourney. Yet they beat us in Columbia in one of these damned wednesday games. It's beyond me.

Reactions: tngamecock#
then who's fault we have talent sitting? Can he shoot , dribble , pass and hit FT's if yes to any 2 of these play him.

the answer to all is no... you hit on some players out of H.S. and you miss on some...many talent advisors thought he was very good

Change his number and get him an extreme makeover or a plastic mask. Then maybe the refs won't be able to identify him

Let me guess, #5 was a phantom foul? Another stupid foul.

His 5th is always dumb....but it usually should be his 2nd or 3rd. That's the issue. The 2 crap calls he gets per game magnify the 1 stupid one. Refs seem to go out of their way to try and take away home court these days. We get better calls on the road than we do at home. I guess it evens out.

It ain't the refs, it ain't Silva, it's 8 minute droughts and missed 2 foot shots by big men, along with crap FT shooting that does us in. Not to mention Notice or Dozier seem to alternate tanking on us at crucial times. Felder has one 3, and 3 turnovers. That is not a good trade. (but the kid can shoot if wide open so there's hope he'll be good one day.

the answer to all is no... you hit on some players out of H.S. and you miss on some...many talent advisors thought he was very good

I still think Keita can be good down the road. Needs to get stronger, and work hard. He's got better hands that Gueye that's for sure. But neither one can hold onto a rebound or good pass. And two foot shots, forget about it. But other than that, we have hope. :rolleyes:

I still think Keita can be good down the road. Needs to get stronger, and work hard. He's got better hands that Gueye that's for sure. But neither one can hold onto a rebound or good pass. And two foot shots, forget about it. But other than that, we have hope. :rolleyes:

my guess he transfers out...SC won by 25 against LSU and he didn't play.

Why would Keita transfer when he was injured all summer and couldn't practice? He's lost on offense and defense because of lack of practice time. Besides his friend Beatty will be playing next season for USC.

Why would Keita transfer when he was injured all summer and couldn't practice? He's lost on offense and defense because of lack of practice time. Besides his friend Beatty will be playing next season for USC.

We will see.....He played no mins in 25pt blowout win at LSU....He played 1 min. in 30 pt win against Auburn

Football player walk on Hinson played 15 mins in LSU game

Silva is not a foul machine, he is a gotcha by the refs. Count me in on the conspiracy. I was there tonight and 4 of his fouls will never be called against anyone else. I think there is talk among the refs and they say, yeah you better ring this guy up, he is a bad man. I just wonder why our womens and mens teams hardly ever get any home cooking like the other schools, especially Florida and Kentucky.

Once you get a reputation of being a fouler, the refs are going to call anything that remotely looks like a foul.

SK's development was also hampered by not being able to practice or play until after the season started. He has potential. Not sure about KG.

SK's development was also hampered by not being able to practice or play until after the season started. He has potential. Not sure about KG.

Again I say...When you play SK no minutes in a 25 point win against LSU and in that same game a walk on football player plays 15 minutes and when SK plays 1 minute in a 30 point win against Auburn, something is amiss.

We've seen the same thing in football and you see the player transferring at seasons end

Reactions: Slapaliberal
My theory, especially after watching KY game, is our team practices hard and doesn't flop; smart opponents know they'll be rewarded when they flop. KY flops were obvious to me, maybe because they're mostly freshmen. Other opponents are less conspicuous.

Regardless, that's part of the game and Silva has to learn from his experiences. I'm hopeful when tournament play starts that different refs will give him the benefit of doubt.

I thought about this last night. Flopping is getting out of hand in basketball. It will not be long and basketball will be worse than soccer. I think there needs to be fouls called for flopping. Silva can make some dumb fouls but watching last night, teams know if they go near him and just act like they were fouled, they will get the call. Silva is a very good player but will never develop to be what he can be if he is not allowed to stay on the court. Even Derrick Scott commented on the radio last night that Silva is getting hacked by Arkansas and nothing getting called but those very plays are getting called on the other end against Silva every time. Really is not fair to him.

Maybe it's all payback for the pellet gun thing. The conspiracy is that Martin has told all the refs that this year is punishment for Silva's poor choices last year. Yep. It's Martin's conspiracy and Gregg Marshall would never do anything like that!

I love Silva but he has to get his fouls under control. He makes too many bad decisions that lead to dumb fouls. Without him in the game, we appear to be lost from a big man standpoint. Are the other two big guys really that bad?

Its hard to get fouls under control when you get called for little ticky tack fouls but get mugged on the other end. Yes he can do better but some of it is what refs perceive as a reputation that Silva has. that reputation has actually been formed by the refs. I would guess that probably 40% of the fouls on Silva would not have been called against many other players. They would not call them against a Duke or Kentucky or UNC player like that for sure. He is getting some bad breaks.

Reactions: jeff2001
I go to all the home BB games and see all the dumb fouls. Didn't Tues. night's game have the famous ref. Karl Hess who was kicked out of the ACC?
He is the one who kicked out Tom Gugliotta and Chris Corchiani who were sitting in the stands at a NC State game.

silva does foul alot (reputation), but the refs know this and they are looking for it, so they anticipate the foul, which is sometimes just not there.....silva gets a bad wrap.....imo he should slack off on the defensive end in the first half and not play so aggressive

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT