ADVERTISEMENT

The staff does NOT want Doty to transfer, that's why he's named QB1

john8220

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2011
Charleston, SC
My opinion is based on some inside info I can't reveal (other than the source isn't on the staff), as well as what I've seen with my own eyes, so take that however you want. But the scenario is this:

* Doty helped hold the team together during the transition and is an important vocal leader for this team.
* Doty has struggled with quick decision making in regards to passing, especially down the field throws.
* Doty doesn't yet trust himself enough to throw guys open or to trust his receivers to make a play, probably because he was coached in HS to take off running if a guy wasn't wide open.
* Current staff saw these issues on film and knew they needed a QB that was a downfield threat, went after Brown hard.
* Brown's Yards Per Attempt was 7.65, Doty's 5.7.
* Brown spends at least as much time in the facility as Doty, including watching film with the offensive staff. Brown knows the playbook, but is still getting his timing down from under center.
* Brown has been the better decision maker and passer in practice, not just the Spring Game, and it hasn't really been close. Staff continues to praise Doty in public, calling him a "natural passer", but when Beamer has commented on issues the offense needs to improve on he often mentions decision-making and throwing the ball downfield - issues we know Doty has trouble with.
* Satterfield has said repeatedly his system is a "modified pro-style based system" that is heavily influenced by Joe Brady's offense. Joe Brady's offense does not utilize a true dual-threat QB, but relies heavily on a QB that can make quick decisions and throw the ball downfield, as well as scramble to throw (see Joe Burrow, see the pickup of Sam Darnold).
* Doty has been getting the overwhelming majority of reps in practice, Gauthier 2nd, Brown 3rd.
* The most popular time for a QB to transfer out is after Spring.
* Most of Doty's passes in the Spring Game were to backs or other short throws. His longest completion was to Joyner for 15 yards.

Based on all the above it's my opinion that the staff knows Brown is QB1, but doesn't want Doty to decide to transfer out over the next couple months. If they can keep him around "competing" until Brown "wins" the job in fall camp, then Doty would likely stick around through the season. There's a really good chance that if Brown has a pretty good season, he'd declare for the NFL Draft which frees up QB1 for Doty. Beamer has seen similar scenarios play out with QB's before (Eason/Fromm at UGA and Murray '18 and Hurts '19 at OK), so he's doing what he can to keep Doty in the fold to allow for multiple options in '22 season.

I see folks in here commenting about "it was just a Spring Game", or "it was only a couple throws". I understand that. But go back and look at when Brown is releasing the ball - most times it's right as the receiver is coming out of his break. Often there is a rusher free and headed right for him but the ball is gone before they're within a couple steps. Doty always seems to wait a second or more too long. Also watch their pocket presence and tell me you don't believe Brown looks as cool as can be back there.

Here is Doty's longest completion, which was 15 yards to Joyner. But you might notice that he had Vann open further down the field and it probably would have been a TD if he hits him in stride (and Vann catches it).

Now compare that to Brown. I believe this was his first play of the game, but it was definitely his first pass. Look how comfortable he is. He sees Mullins is going to be the best option before the route is completed and gets the ball out before the rusher can affect the throw.

You can go on about how it was 2nd string, 3rd string, etc., but it's not as if Doty was throwing against the Legions of Boom in the defensive backfield. He also had the benefit of 1st string receivers.

Anyway, this is my theory based on the info I was told and my own deductions. You don't have to believe it. We'll see how all this plays out over the summer and into fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News