ADVERTISEMENT

The way I see it.. Assistant Coaches Edition

gijoe29138

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2010
Ok... with 2 games left against 2 very stout teams this season looks grim. So unless we are completely embarrassed in those 2 games Muschamp will be back. With that being said, here is my opinions on who must go and who we keep.
Offense: Bryan McClendon must go. I had high hopes after the Michigan bowl game but he is in over his head as a play caller. His offenses are really very vanilla. He is a great recruiter. That aspect will be sorely missed but hey.. you get one or the other. We need an innovative play caller (Kendall Briles is the man for the job). Thomas Brown was a great hire. Love the guy. The running backs as a whole improved a ton under his watch and is an excellent recruiter. Wolf has to go. The offensive line has underachieved this year and that is disappointing to me because I was so glad he came back. IF Matt Luke is let go from Mississippi he would be my obvious first choice. Dan Werner is eh...either way. If the offensive coordinator is not a QB coach by trade then you keep Werner. I thnk in the end you let him go and hire a wide receiver/tight ends coach. That brings me to Bobby Bentley. I think you keep him on staff in some form simply for his high school connections. He is a great recruiter and a pretty good coach (maybe).

Defense: I think you keep that staff intact. The only exception would be to make Mike Peterson the linebackers and coach and make Coleman Hutzler speciffically Special Teams coach. John Scott turned out to be a great hire. T-Rob has done a pretty good job as DC. The secondary needs to clean up their act though (way too many blown assignments and way too many penalties). Maybe shuffling a coaching slot from the offensive side of the ball to defense for a secondary coach might be an option.

I think in the end Muschamp has to change his philosophy in head coaching. As much as it pains me to say it.. he needs to follow the Dabo model. Play ra-ra guy and CEO and let his coordinators run the game. HE definitely has input on certain situations but let his coordinators run the game. There are several different ways to go with the OC hire. I think someone like Briles or Kerwin Bell from South Florida might be a good choice. Gotta think outside the box on this one. Just my 2 cents on the whole situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News