ADVERTISEMENT

Things to Do in Tampa

FlaglerGC15

Gold Member
Nov 30, 2007
I live in Tampa and I'm excited that the Gamecocks are playing in the Outback bowl this year. I thought I would share a few ideas on places to go eat and things to do around town. I live in the South Tampa area so most of my suggestions are close to this area. I hope that you all have fun while you are here and enjoy all that this area has to offer. I also hope our Gamecocks can come away with a big win. If you have any questions, I will do my best to respond as quickly as I can.

Places to Eat Lunch/Dinner

Bern's Steakhouse - great value for the quality and amount of food you get. This place is a fantastic experience. I recommend everyone at least give this place a shot. Especially if you enjoy drinking wine. Be sure to do the wine cellar and kitchen tour (both are free) and check out the desert room after dinner.

Yah Mon - if you enjoy Caribbean food and jerk chicken...it doesn't get any better than this place. The owner's are from Jamaica. If you don't enjoy spicy food order with caution because their jerk chicken is pretty darn spicy.

Wright's Deli - great lunch spot with excellent sandwiches.

Oxford Exchange - Another great lunch spot. If you enjoy iced tea then give this place a shot. They have an excellent selection.

Ulele - located right on the Hillsborough River near downtown. They have a big open field so the kids can run around and play. It is also right next to a nice park. Their oysters are excellent. They also brew their own beer.

Osteria Natalina - if you like authentic Italian food this is the place for you. It's a small place and seating is limited but a good romantic spot to try. Not a great place to bring kids. See next option if you have kids.

Pane Rustica - If you have a larger party and/or kids and want solid Italian food...Pane Rustica is the next best thing to Osteria.

Hula Bay - located on the Tampa Bay. Great views and good grouper sandwiches.

The Getaway - located across the Gandy bridge in St. Pete, this is a great bar and lunch/dinner option. Right on the water.

Fodder and Shine - Located in Seminole Heights (don't worry they caught the serial killer). Great southern food.

Roux - Cajun seafood spot. It's a little bit on the expensive side, but food is delicious.

American Social - it's a new spot right on Harbor Island. Good bar scene and pretty solid food. It is a little bit pricey for what you get though.

Hattrick's - Best bar food in Tampa (in my opinion). Avoid this place whenever the Lightning play (home or away). It's impossible to get a seat whenever the Lightning are playing.

Yeoman's - 2nd best bar food in Tampa (in my opinion). Good option if Hattrick's is too busy.

Places to go for Breakfast:

Datz - If you have a sweet tooth check out Datz. They change their menu up pretty frequently, but I've never gotten anything here I didn't enjoy.

Pinky's Diner - Classic breakfast joint. Great coffee. Get here early or else you'll be waiting.

Daily Eats - Another great breakfast option located in SoHo.

Buddy Brew - best coffee in the area (in my opinion). They also have a few limited breakfast options (poached egg biscuit with bacon is awesome; avocado toast is terrific too)

Places to Go:

Pass-a-Grille Beach (just south of St. Pete Beach) - This is a nice and quiet beach town. There is a lot of construction going on there now, but its a good way to spend the day. Check out the Don Cesar and Hotel Zamara if you want to stay out by the beach when you are here. 1200 Chophouse is a great restaurant to try if you do go out here.

SoHo - If you are older than 30 you probably want to avoid this place. But if you are younger than 30 this is a fun spot. College bar scene, but all the college kids will probably be on winter break.

Downtown Tampa - If you want to avoid the college bar scene, downtown Tampa have a few classier options. Franklin Manor is nice. They usually have a good band playing outside and some fire pits. Fly Bar is a good spot as well. They have an open bar on the 2nd floor or a nice bar downstairs. Taps is also a good hang out downtown.

Hyde Park - this area is great. There is some shopping and places to eat. I won't list all of the options, but every place here is good.

Bulla Gastrobar - this is technically located in SoHo, but it's not a college kid hangout. I haven't been here but I've heard great things. They are supposed to have a nice rooftop bar.

Ybor City - I don't recommend staying here after dark. This place gets a little rough. It's very nice during the day though.

Bayshore Boulevard - if you are into running, riding your bike or going on a long walk....Bayshore is an awesome place to go. Right on the Hillsborough River and connects to the Tampa River Walk which will take you along the river downtown.

Downtown St. Petersburg - there are a lot of good restaurants and bars over there. It's fun to walk around and check a few things out. Plus the Dali museum is here which is pretty cool.

Curtis Hixon Park - this is a park downtown Tampa across from Taps. I'm not sure if there are any events going on, but if there are you should check them out.

Hope this helps!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News