ADVERTISEMENT

This is obviously a long rebuild , here’s my biggest concern

We're gonna have to rely heavy on development until we make a name for ourselves imo. I'm not too worried about being vanilla or keeping things simple right now. I do have a problem with simple and still playing stupid tho. That said, when this week is over and we have played the whole spectrum of good, bad and great teams, id really like to see us evaluate who we really should be developing going forward. If an upperclassman isnt doing that much better than an underclassman could, let's ask ourselves who benifits us the most from a development standpoint. There is no better time to say play well or we try something else than right now.

Kevin Harris was the running game last year....not bobo.

He is clearly not the same after back surgery.

As much as I disliked Bozo for his unwavering loyalty to Colorado State transfers, he did create run gaps that just don’t exist this year.

We stink at every skill position not named Josh Vann. My biggest criticism is how is the RB that won the ECU game not given one carry this week? Juju seemed to find gaps to hit even in our weak offensive line.
The explanation I have heard is that Juju is not a good blocker so they played Harris, Lloyd and White. With the rush UGA was putting on we needed a body back there to help and at 177 Juju can't do it. (Harris, Lloyd and White are 215-220)

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Wouldn't it make sense to wait more than three games into a coach's tenure here before deciding he's a bum and can't call plays, especially when one of those games was against the best defense in the country? Sure, the first two games weren't great, but it takes time. He's not getting fired next week no matter what happens, so you might as well be patient.

Wait until at least after the season to really complain and worry about the play calling. Let's get a good sample size.

We're 3 games in with a shaky OL and unproven receivers and QB. Give it some time. Nobody knows anything.

I'm genuinely curious how many people that panic this early have ever played on a team. The team is not going to fold up the tent. Things rarely are smooth on any new team. I just don't get it. Criticism is fine, but any big takeaways are difficult to assess.

I'm glad some of you are coming around on the "we don't have a solid D1/P5 (whatever) SEC" group of players. Our skill guys on both sides in particular....very lacking. WR/TE and DB/LB....we have major, major issues. I'm not saying "all" of them....I'm just saying many of them don't need to be attempting to play in this conference, and maybe not in P5 football.
To reiterate what I (and some others) said back in Dec-Feb: Wolford wasn't the problem. C. Hill wasn't good and even Bobo wasn't great. I didn't want either...but we had them. Our bigger problem was skill recruitment and development under WM. He's never shown to be able to attract guys that turn out to be great skill guys (offensively). We see that in our roster now....and in the last 3-4 years. That's why we took TE/WR/QBs that walked in from much smaller places where they didn't dominate...into starting positions for the Univ. of South Carolina. It was/is embarrassing. That's also why some of us were so h#ll bent on getting a great X/O coach at least to bridge the talent problem and hopefully make it less of an issue. At this point - I just hope we make positive traction each week. I understand what our win total will be. Although everyone wants to put 100% of this on WM - it isn't. We had a coach hired in December and he hired a staff. Some of this will be reverberations from WM's tenure....but in about 3-4 months it's going to be 100% on Beamer and staff's head. Especially these days with the instant/easy transfers...people keep talking about 3-4 years turnaround. I expect NEXT year to be a major turnaround year given how quickly you can turn a roster over if you are a Coach/staff that attracts and improves talent. So - like we said in December to Shane...get to work; you need every minute focused on this program and season.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Hiring your buddy seldom goes well.

Apparently Beamer didn’t take notes while he was Assistant Head Coach of getting coffee during O meetings.

The offense and our approach is no better than it was under Roper or BMAC.

The oline is as bad as it’s ever been.

I love the lamentations over our talent. Every village idiot on here pumped up our recruiting classes under Chump sans the last one.

In reality, they were bottom tier in the SEC.

LOL at the “stars don’t matter”, “player is under rated”, “if a good school wanted him he’d be ranked higher”, “it’s not about talent but want to”, “coaches want him so that’s good enough for me”, “camp eval”, “look at his HUDL tape”….

Bleat, bleat, bleat.

Our current recruiting class is also bottom tier.

Average coaches plus average players equal the perpetual mediocrity that is UofSC.
I didn't promote those classes....knew what we had. 100% agree with you. At the end of the day.. Coaches take guys that they can get....who is available... not all who they want. Every coach would have Alabama's recruiting class otherwise.

Guys, We are 3 games in. We are 2-1. We have glaring issues on the OL which we thought would be a capable veteran group. With our run game last year, we thought we could line up and go with about anyone, however, crappy line play has hampered our running game. No time to throw means they stack the box and it kills our running game. I have been way under impressed with LLoyd this year, He looks tentative, slow and not elusive. Harris hasn't been the Harrris of last year. JuJu has been good but isn't enough. Doty was rusty against Ga but showed flashes. His footwork is better. He should improve.

I am going to be patient this year as both our team and our staff gel. Team chemistry is more important than some of you realize. It takes talent to begin with but team chemistry makes that talent better. Think back to our great baseball teams. They were a team od scrappers who just refused to lose. They developed that team chemistry.

Beamer has proven that he can build relationships with players, high school coaches and player parents. Our recruiting should make an upturn. Jimmies and Joes plus x's and o's will lead to wins which brings better players. We are not very good right now. We will be better. We just have to be a little ore patient than wanting to fire everybody after 3 games, one of which was against a national championship contender.

My biggest concern is it may get worse before it gets better. A lot of our best players are seniors.
Vann
Enagbare
Ellis
Sterling
Muse
Foster has played well also.

Reactions: Dizzy01 and cadcock
Guys, We are 3 games in. We are 2-1. We have glaring issues on the OL which we thought would be a capable veteran group. With our run game last year, we thought we could line up and go with about anyone, however, crappy line play has hampered our running game. No time to throw means they stack the box and it kills our running game. I have been way under impressed with LLoyd this year, He looks tentative, slow and not elusive. Harris hasn't been the Harrris of last year. JuJu has been good but isn't enough. Doty was rusty against Ga but showed flashes. His footwork is better. He should improve.

I am going to be patient this year as both our team and our staff gel. Team chemistry is more important than some of you realize. It takes talent to begin with but team chemistry makes that talent better. Think back to our great baseball teams. They were a team od scrappers who just refused to lose. They developed that team chemistry.

Beamer has proven that he can build relationships with players, high school coaches and player parents. Our recruiting should make an upturn. Jimmies and Joes plus x's and o's will lead to wins which brings better players. We are not very good right now. We will be better. We just have to be a little ore patient than wanting to fire everybody after 3 games, one of which was against a national championship contender.
I'm not saying fire everyone...or anyone. We have who was hired at HC, OC, DC, assistant coaches. We are rolling with them. They've been on the job for between 8-9 months now. With current transfer rules, and Beamers' "vision" to sell...I'm hoping that they can put a competitive team on the field this upcoming year. If we win 5-6 games in year two and are decently competitive against the top SEC teams, I would be very happy considering where the roster is and with our current schemes. I'm not saying the coaches don't know what to do...you can't do what you WANT to do if you don't have the type guys you need to do it. We don't have any edge talent on offense. We have very little back end talent on defense. This SHOULD open up all kinds of spots for transfers and incoming HS players. If immediate playing time didn't sell as well as hoped this year....I'm hoping it will sell better next year.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
The explanation I have heard is that Juju is not a good blocker so they played Harris, Lloyd and White. With the rush UGA was putting on we needed a body back there to help and at 177 Juju can't do it. (Harris, Lloyd and White are 215-220)
Yeah and that’s what I heard Muschamp say about TySon Williams and now I see him in the Ravens backfield. It’s not like anyone excelled at blocking

I evaluate the coaching staff on if we have improved under their watch.
Defense has improved in all areas in spite of losing key talent in the secondary and at linebacker.
Offense has regressed in every area except receiver even though our biggest loss from last year was our WR1.

The OL is a MAJOR red flag. The play calling is hard to evaluate with such bad OL play but it is definitely not an innovative fun and gun style that attracts 5 star recruits.

I evaluate the coaching staff on if we have improved under their watch.
Defense has improved in all areas in spite of losing key talent in the secondary and at linebacker.
Offense has regressed in every area except receiver even though our biggest loss from last year was our WR1.

The OL is a MAJOR red flag. The play calling is hard to evaluate with such bad OL play but it is definitely not an innovative fun and gun style that attracts 5 star recruits.
I think you are right. But we could judge the offensive scheme better if we had good blocking. I want to see progress this Saturday. Or some Saturday real soon.

Reactions: cadcock
Hiring your buddy seldom goes well.

Apparently Beamer didn’t take notes while he was Assistant Head Coach of getting coffee during O meetings.

The offense and our approach is no better than it was under Roper or BMAC.

The oline is as bad as it’s ever been.

I love the lamentations over our talent. Every village idiot on here pumped up our recruiting classes under Chump sans the last one.

In reality, they were bottom tier in the SEC.

LOL at the “stars don’t matter”, “player is under rated”, “if a good school wanted him he’d be ranked higher”, “it’s not about talent but want to”, “coaches want him so that’s good enough for me”, “camp eval”, “look at his HUDL tape”….

Bleat, bleat, bleat.

Our current recruiting class is also bottom tier.

Average coaches plus average players equal the perpetual mediocrity that is UofSC.
I’ve given up on ever beating any team other than an FCS team. We won’t even have the fluke win we’ve had the past two years. We’re the same piss-poor team we’ve been during my 55 years of being a fan.

So you're the reason.
Can’t pin it on me the past five years. I called the Gamecock Club the day Muschamp was announced as head coach and cancelled my 30-year Full Scholly membership, giving up my Zone seats in the process (yep — I was an original Zone donor). My yearly $25,000 donations to the university now goes to Samaritan’s Purse and Thornwell Home for children in Clinton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT