ADVERTISEMENT

*** Thursday 3/25 MBB update...

W

Wes Mitchell

QUICK THURSDAY UPDATE:

I'm fully aware that at this point some of you are getting tired of the "there will be a resolution here" soon updates, but we are told that it's not lost on anyone involved that regardless of what the next step is for the program, something needs to happen soon, one way or the other.

There's only so long that it can drag out before it becomes an issue for a variety of reasons and we don't expect it to drag out much longer.

We continue to hear that Frank Martin's name is in the mix for some other openings that are worth keeping an eye on.

Based on everything we've been told, this appears to be trending towards a change with a resolution in the pretty near future.

QUICK FRIDAY UPDATE:

Very quick update here as I just wanted to keep yall in the loop.

There have been multiple meetings at various points this week involving Frank Martin and various South Carolina higherups starting at the beginning of the week and going into Thursday.

From what I've been told, these have been in-depth, lengthy conversations about the program.

While there was still no resolution, publicly or privately, as of last night, I do believe there will be some type of resolution in the next couple of days.

QUICK THURSDAY UPDATE:

It's worth noting that Frank Martin conducted end-of-year meetings with each member of the basketball team on Wednesday and the word after those visits is that there are no players who expressed that they are currently 100 percent set on leaving if Martin is back.

There are some who are considering leaving, for various individual reasons, but I wouldn't expect some mass exodus if Martin is back. There are currently no players in the transfer portal.

Again, the outcome of the entire situation remains fluid as discussions involving USC officials and Martin have continued through the week.

-----

TUESDAY UPDATE:

** Frank Martin and Ray Tanner met yesterday as planned but as of last night there is still no resolution regarding the future of the men's basketball program publicly or privately (that is to say, this is NOT a situation where things have been finalized privately but the word just hasn't come out yet).

Discussions are ongoing and actually could go into the middle of the week from what we are told.

** Martin's preference has been to stay at South Carolina but it's worth noting that multiple programs have expressed interest in Martin as the men's basketball coaching carousel has now started spinning.

That could obviously play a factor in how things will play out here at South Carolina if he ultimately has options elsewhere.

** It's been no secret that Martin, who has two years left on his contract, has wanted an extension to four years for recruiting purposes.

Martin is well-liked by the administration but there are also concerns about the future of the program (including next year's team) and the perceived apathy from the fanbase. Martin, on the other hand, believes it can be fixed.

** As for the multiple ways it could actually play out, this remains a fluid situation with multiple variables at play.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News