ADVERTISEMENT

***Tuesday night: More on the search process, names

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
I can verify for you that when Ray Tanner said that USC is going to conduct a nationwide and extensive search for the next head coach in Columbia, those words are not just hollow. Based on feedback that we’ve received on the process in the infant stages, there is a ton of research being done on multiple candidates from all around.

From that standpoint, I couldn’t give you a frontrunner or frontrunners right now. With this thing being so early, really most of what we can give you is what South Carolina is looking for and guys that fit that profile. The profile is as follows: someone that is going to be able to recruit at a high level, one capable of keeping South Carolina competitive year after year. That means a head coach that is a good recruiter himself but also one that will hire a strong staff around him that can hit high schools in the Carolinas, Florida, Georgia, and other areas of USC’s recruiting footprint and bring the personnel need to compete to USC. That’s a key aspect here. Of course, a guy that’s a strong football coach is also important and I’m not discounting that but personnel rules college football and provides the blueprint for winning.

Now, there are different guys that can fit that profile so it’s about finding someone that you can plug in to do it in Columbia. That means that there are many guys that are going to be a risk because let’s face it, guys that are head coaches at other places and winning big are often entrenched there. The likelihood that USC is going to have to find a coach that’s been successful at a smaller school or something like promote an assistant who is deemed ready (for example, Kirby Smart) is something that could very well happen. That’s not always a bad thing. You look at some of the most successful coaches in college football and not many of them are jumping from huge program to huge program; others had very pedestrian stops at other times in their career. It’s about fit, recruiting, and development. If I had to say, my educated guess is that USC leans in the direction of younger coach because of the energy and recruiting prowess factor, but that’s not a guarantee. It will be the coach deemed the best possible in the circumstances. There are many candidates.

The guy I mentioned here in Kirby Smart: I think he is someone that’s attainable for South Carolina and there’s no doubt that he remains interested in the job as he has been for a while. Smart is a guy that could plug in quickly because he’s from the Southeast and has spent his career in the region. Recruits generally know who he is, and he’s regarded as a strong coach that’s learned from one of the best around in Nick Saban for years.

Smart knows a lot of coaches and/or has worked with many coaches that have ties to the Southeast. It’s hard to speculate on a potential Smart staff at this point and what it would look like, but Shane Beamer and Ellis Johnson are two guys he’s familiar with that obviously have South Carolina ties and could be possibilities if he chose to go that direction. The possibility of retaining a G.A. Mangus (also knows Smart), Shawn Elliott (Alabama was interested in him for the OL job) would be at least on the table I would think. The overall point is: building a staff that can recruit and develop is key and will be important in the decision making process. There are risks with Smart just as there are risks with anyone, but his Southeast ties and coaching connections are a plus. We have reason to believe that South Carolina has already done research on Smart and would anticipate him being a candidate going forward.

I mentioned the young, energetic coach profile: While I haven’t confirmed that he would absolutely be in the mix for the job, I anticipate some research being done on Matt Campbell from Toledo is one that I’ve mentioned here as one that I’ve liked what I’ve seen from in his career. Super early of course, but he’s young, regarded as a hard worker and good offensive coach. He’s someone I anticipate USC doing research on going forward. That doesn’t mean he’s a top candidate or anything of that nature. Again, this is sort of a no stone left unturned approach. Guys like Campbell are likely to come up - doesn't mean they'll emerge as serious candidates.

I’ve gotten mixed feedback on Charlie Strong, but as of now I don’t think he’s as likely in continuing to dig on that one today.

I would get fairly close to crossing Mark Dantonio off the list. For multiple reasons, I do not see that one happening.

Speaking of that, Ray Tanner revealed that he would have an advisory committee from USC as well as utilize a search firm during the process. I would not get overly alarmed about the search firm deal; it’s not as if USC will take names that are suggested by the search firms and only concentrate on those figures. It’s simply another way to gather more research and perspective on potential hires. If a search firm can uncover something you weren’t aware of previously, then it’s a plus. For Ray Tanner, it’s all about doing as much research as possible before whittling down the pool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News