ADVERTISEMENT

Un-Carolina finally got their notice of allegations. 'Bout time.

A part of the article below says it could affect the 2005 and 2009 men's basketball championship.

North Carolina announced last June that the NCAA had reopened an investigation into what some have described as the worst case of academic fraud in college sports history. A report authored by Kenneth Wanstein has determined UNC had bogus African-American Studies classes for approximately 1,500 athletes over an 18-year span. Possible penalties for the alleged transgressions include postseason bans, fines, scholarship reductions and vacating victories -- including the 2005 and 2009 men's basketball titles.

Reactions: CaliCock
Possible penalties for the alleged transgressions include postseason bans, fines, scholarship reductions and vacating victories -- including the 2005 and 2009 men's basketball titles.

Man, would I love to be a photographer for a newspaper when the NCAA showed up to take their trophies back. That would be sublime...

Reactions: chick75
Man, would I love to be a photographer for a newspaper when the NCAA showed up to take their trophies back. That would be sublime...

Man, it would be worth a lot for me to be present if and when that happened. I would pay good money to have a front row seat for that event. Living and working in NC for the last 42 years, so many UNC fans that I worked with were so arrogant it was pathetic. They always believed they were above reproach and they were among the social elite.

Last edited:
Reactions: chick75
I can't think of any school making up a bogus class vs. taking a real class and push them through with a passing grade...

Plus, with the NCAA pushing for higher GPA and keeping players from dropping out of school just to make sure they don't lose scholarships each year...

Maybe this is why it's taken this long to come to light...

A part of the article below says it could affect the 2005 and 2009 men's basketball championship.

North Carolina announced last June that the NCAA had reopened an investigation into what some have described as the worst case of academic fraud in college sports history. A report authored by Kenneth Wanstein has determined UNC had bogus African-American Studies classes for approximately 1,500 athletes over an 18-year span. Possible penalties for the alleged transgressions include postseason bans, fines, scholarship reductions and vacating victories -- including the 2005 and 2009 men's basketball titles.
Post season bans and scholly reductions will be what I am looking to see happen. This is the key to how much the NCAA wants to make it hurt. I have my doubts since they are UNC.......

Aww you know the holes are like the big-time SEC schools, the NCAA will not hit them hard due to the loss of $$$ it would mean for the NCAA....

Aww you know the holes are like the big-time SEC schools, the NCAA will not hit them hard due to the loss of $$$ it would mean for the NCAA....
How would the NCAA lose money ? They don't get to take their money and run, and there will always be another team to fill any voids created by them not participating.....the NCAA wouldn't lose a dime. Now UNC would lose tons....

http://chapelboro.com/news/unc/chansky-unc-happy-with-notice-of-allegations/

And as predicted, nothing will happen to them. Time for every major university to set up an "Athletics" major, where practices are your classes. Door is open now, the sham of the "student-athlete" is dead.

Chansky is a mouth breather for UNC. IF the NCAA lets UNC skate, they will get crushed in the lawsuit against them. There entire defense is these student-athletes are getting an education in exchange for not compensating them. Allowing UNC to create fake classes and even change grades, would be throwing out there only defense in that multi million dollar lawsuit against them.

And I'm sure Heelz made that comment in jest, but its that type of arrogance that opponents of UNC have had to deal with for so long. They deserve LOIC in at least five sports - m/w basketball, baseball, w soccer, and football. All five deserve at least 2 yrs post season probation and the 05 and 09 banners should come down.

The NCAA is certainly in no better position than the NFL right now to do whatever they want in regards to showing favoritism relative to which institution receives disciplinary action and which ones don't. It is obvious the NFL is trying to right their ship after some of the domestic violence charges as is evident by the Tom Brady charges as well as the fines imposed on the Patriots. So, if the NCAA turns a blind eye to the uncarolina thing, then SHAME on them. And if that were to happen, I think there will be serious repercussions from all institutional members of the NCAA.

Last edited:
And in reference to my own comment above. Didn't we receive almost as much punishment for some clerical error as did UNC and the U?

The NCAA is a dead man walking, it's only a matter of time before the power-5 conferences give the NCAA the collective finger and form their own regulatory body, to deal with all the big issues today like pay-for-play, academics, etc. The NCAA has gotten to be so corrupt it's worse than any government agency, and THAT my friends is saying something.

Lets keep this one at are near the top, I hate all things UNC. Not as badly as I hate quempsum but I hate the holes nonetheless.

I'm wondering about how this will affect accreditation as well. That would be devastating. Feel bad for the honest, hard-working students who did the right things for the right reasons.

1. The ACC should have done something.

2. Can you say "lack of institutional control"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_(NCAA)

The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests; we did. (winks) But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few sick, perverted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? (the other Deltas cheer; Otter addresses the Student Council President directly) I put it to you, Greg! Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? (the Deltas cheer again) Well, you can do what you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you bad-mouth the United States of America! Gentlemen!

(Otter packs his briefcase and leaves the room; the other Deltas follow, humming "The Star-Spangled Banner")

1. The ACC should have done something.

2. Can you say "lack of institutional control"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_(NCAA)

The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests; we did. (winks) But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few sick, perverted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? (the other Deltas cheer; Otter addresses the Student Council President directly) I put it to you, Greg! Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? (the Deltas cheer again) Well, you can do what you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you bad-mouth the United States of America! Gentlemen!

(Otter packs his briefcase and leaves the room; the other Deltas follow, humming "The Star-Spangled Banner")

The scenario above is probably how it's going to play out. If it does, then every school in the country should just start doing whatever they want.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT