ADVERTISEMENT

USC - General viewpoints

rgamecock1

Apr 19, 2003
I am sorta leary about posting my viewpoint on USC softball. I attended the USC-Mississipi State game on Saturday. Never have I seen a team that is so poorly coached in fundamentals, the apathy on that team is so noticeable and from what I can tell the coaches on that team have lost control of that team. Beverly Smith is not the answer for our once and proud softball team, look at her overall SEC record, it is abysmall. And to think Ray Tanner just extended her contract. Unbelievable! On another issue it finally took a long time for Mark Berson to retire as our mens soccer coach. Look at the last 10 years at how the program has gone down. I wish nothing but the best for Mark Berson in his retirement, but I say good riddance. I wished Ray Tanner would do the graceful thing and retire as well. I mean the ayatollah komenis's son could do better than Tanner. We all know the decisions he has made. No other university would tollerate how Ray Tanner has operated the athletic department in all areas. If I offend anyone with this post please accept my apologies.

I am sorta leary about posting my viewpoint on USC softball. I attended the USC-Mississipi State game on Saturday. Never have I seen a team that is so poorly coached in fundamentals, the apathy on that team is so noticeable and from what I can tell the coaches on that team have lost control of that team. Beverly Smith is not the answer for our once and proud softball team, look at her overall SEC record, it is abysmall. And to think Ray Tanner just extended her contract. Unbelievable! On another issue it finally took a long time for Mark Berson to retire as our mens soccer coach. Look at the last 10 years at how the program has gone down. I wish nothing but the best for Mark Berson in his retirement, but I say good riddance. I wished Ray Tanner would do the graceful thing and retire as well. I mean the ayatollah komenis's son could do better than Tanner. We all know the decisions he has made. No other university would tollerate how Ray Tanner has operated the athletic department in all areas. If I offend anyone with this post please accept my apologies.
I keep thinking the entire athletic program went to crap because I dropped out of the Gamecock Club 6 years ago. My $20,000 per year must have made a big difference in the quality of the program. That money is now making a big difference for Samaritan’s Purse and Thornwell Home.

Apathy sums it up well.
Watching them play clemson was all I needed to see. Night and day difference between the two teams.
Changes need to be made in the softball program.

What did Harris say when he called?

uApathy sums it up well.
Watching them play clemson was all I needed to see. Night and day difference between the two teams.
Changes need to be made in the softball program.
I am glad to see that someone else can see what I see. I talked with a parent of one of the players and she told me that when the season is over there is going to be a mass exodus of players tranferring out. Not going to name the players name or her parent but it is from one of the current players on the team.

Clemmon’s brand new softball program. Another team with the sole purpose of “Kill Carolina”....everything else takes care of itself
Trust me Clemson's softball program will go through the transfer portal like a lot of schools have. They will go through their ups and downs as well. Unless you are Florida, Alabama, or Oklahoma players leaving for greener pastures continues to happen. As far as kill carolina one game does not mean a lot. Like baseball it is only one game. Carolina has been playing softball longer than all those girls on the Clemson team. Not a softball team in the world who has not lost a game or two or has not gone through hard times. Trust me with todays environment it will happen.

Trust me Clemson's softball program will go through the transfer portal like a lot of schools have. They will go through their ups and downs as well. Unless you are Florida, Alabama, or Oklahoma players leaving for greener pastures continues to happen. As far as kill carolina one game does not mean a lot. Like baseball it is only one game. Carolina has been playing softball longer than all those girls on the Clemson team. Not a softball team in the world who has not lost a game or two or has not gone through hard times. Trust me with todays environment it will happen.
How many of clemson’s football players enter the transfer portal?
Women’s sports have particular opportunities for programs to become powerhouses when the right elements are in place.
Take our women’s basketball program for example. No relevant history of successful women’s basketball at USC prior to Dawn Staley in my opinion (I know Pam Parsons had some success back in the day, but USC and women’s bball did not go in the same sentence for the 30 years before Staley). Nevertheless, we are now a top 10 team in the nation every year seriously competing for a title every year.
I hope you’re right about clem going through the same ups and downs that the rest of us do, but they have the potential to create a very successful program up there. Especially if there’s no other legitimate in state competition or recruiting threat

I mean we made the tournament the last 7 years. Maybe a little early to fire a coach for one bad year.

I mean we made the tournament the last 7 years. Maybe a little early to fire a coach for one bad year.
You make a good point, and I admittedly couldn't tell you much of anything when it comes to USC softball. While I'm not calling for the coach to be canned, I would say this is a spot where the AD needs to do his job by thoroughly reviewing the program. Is this just a "down" year for the program, with injuries, bad-luck, etc.? Or, is there a problem within the program, a lack of discipline from the top-down, a deteriorated culture, etc.?

I don't know the answer, but whatever it is...Ray probably won't figure it out for a while.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
You make a good point, and I admittedly couldn't tell you much of anything when it comes to USC softball. While I'm not calling for the coach to be canned, I would say this is a spot where the AD needs to do his job by thoroughly reviewing the program. Is this just a "down" year for the program, with injuries, bad-luck, etc.? Or, is there a problem within the program, a lack of discipline from the top-down, a deteriorated culture, etc.?

I don't know the answer, but whatever it is...Ray probably won't figure it out for a while.

Last sentence ^^^^ says it all.

I wonder. Does Tanner ever check in on the status of 'minor' sports . . . other than to harass spirited USC baseball fans?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT