ADVERTISEMENT

USC's East, South, and West Quads (images/links)

uscbeckham

Staff
Oct 22, 2001
Chapin, SC
All three of these dorms are award-winning dorms with the West Quad getting the most publicity as the first LEED certified dorm in the Southeast.

All three have pre-WW2 Southern architecture and match perfectly with the Horseshoe and Gibbes Green. Until 650 Lincoln was constructed, most USC athletes lived in the East and South Quadrangles.

Each quadrangle has 4-person suites with study space and common areas with capacities of South (400 beds), West (499 beds), and East (443 beds).

East Quad 2000
South Quad 1996
West Quad 2004 (Green Quad)

East Quad:

109874331.jpg

2098589.jpg

2098607.jpg

South Quad:

2234520507_6120e56802_b.jpg

4.jpg

08_south-patio_0116.jpg

West Quad:

USC_GreenQuad_Exterior.jpg

USC_GreenQuad_LearningCente.jpg

USC_GreenQuad_Classroom.jpg

USC_GreenQuad_Hallway.jpg

USC_ExteriorVert_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: uscgamecock-1
Perpetual marijuana smell, bottle rocket wars, cussing out Moore from Douglas with no consequences, elevators that took 5 minutes to get to the second floor, toking on the balconies in total anonymity, mini-fridges, using plywood to flood the shower room, and the list goes on.

Good times.
The elevators- unreal how bad they were- how did they ever pass ANY kind of inspection??

The elevators- unreal how bad they were- how did they ever pass ANY kind of inspection??
LOL. They probably had not been serviced since the 60's. Holy crap they sucked. I could run the stairs all the way up and back down by the time one of those lifts could hit the second floor. It was like watching paint dry.

I lived in Preston with no AC. Can you imagine today's students living in either situation? We couldn't wait for winter, thinking it would finally cool down, and the damn radiator heat would kick on! Window cracked open in January. Good times though.

One drunken night we spelled out a nasty phrase with beer cans at Moore. It turned out, those honeycombs made a perfect place for beer cans to sit and spell words. We had a knock on our door 10 mins after sun up. How we didnt get a harsher penalty I will never know.

Reactions: uscbeckham
One drunken night we spelled out a nasty phrase with beer cans at Moore. It turned out, those honeycombs made a perfect place for beer cans to sit and spell words. We had a knock on our door 10 mins after sun up. How we didnt get a harsher penalty I will never know.

Remember when the university actually allocated money to each hall for parties!

I lived in Preston with no AC. Can you imagine today's students living in either situation? We couldn't wait for winter, thinking it would finally cool down, and the damn radiator heat would kick on! Window cracked open in January. Good times though.
Good times. Good times. Even without AC, Preston was better than the Honeycombs.

In honor of your post, my next post will be on the Honors College Residence.

usc-honors-residence-halls.jpg
I was in the Honor's College and got placed in whatever Honeycomb they used in my Sophomore year ('90). By my senior year I moved up to the Horseshoe - but not the nice side of the Horseshoe.

Perpetual marijuana smell, bottle rocket wars, cussing out Moore from Douglas with no consequences, elevators that took 5 minutes to get to the second floor, toking on the balconies in total anonymity, mini-fridges, using plywood to flood the shower room, and the list goes on.

Good times.
Keg parties. In a dorm. Oh yeah and the "Girls Only" dorm. Even dads weren't allowed past the lobby.

The new quads seem to partially pay homage to the revered Robert Mills.

All three of these dorms are award-winning dorms with the West Quad getting the most publicity as the first LEED certified dorm in the Southeast.

All three have pre-WW2 Southern architecture and match perfectly with the Horseshoe and Gibbes Green. Until 650 Lincoln was constructed, most USC athletes lived in the East and South Quadrangles.

Each quadrangle has 4-person suites with study space and common areas with capacities of South (400 beds), West (499 beds), and East (443 beds).

East Quad 2000
South Quad 1996
West Quad 2004 (Green Quad)

East Quad:

109874331.jpg

2098589.jpg

2098607.jpg

South Quad:

2234520507_6120e56802_b.jpg

50701.jpg

50713.jpg

West Quad:

USC_GreenQuad_Exterior.jpg

USC_GreenQuad_LearningCente.jpg

USC_GreenQuad_Classroom.jpg

USC_GreenQuad_Hallway.jpg

USC_ExteriorVert_1.jpg

I was referring more toward his public structures. Typically, the triple arches under dual stairs, either straight or curved, up to a columnaded raised porch with gable roof. The main roof gable or hip with symmetrical chimneys.

Maybe a little. Love the symmetric style, the arcade underneath, and the columns up above. Beautiful house.

1331331748-RobertMillsHouse.jpg

park-robertmillshouse-photo-01.jpeg

I was referring more toward his public structures. Typically, the triple arches under dual stairs, either straight or curved, up to a columnaded raised porch with gable roof. The main roof gable or hip with symmetrical chimneys.
I'm going to have to look that up. Sounds like my kind of architecture.

LOL. They probably had not been serviced since the 60's. Holy crap they sucked. I could run the stairs all the way up and back down by the time one of those lifts could hit the second floor. It was like watching paint dry.
I always ran the stairs too. Much faster than those elevators. Identify with all that has been stated. Great times also on the roof.

I always ran the stairs too. Much faster than those elevators. Identify with all that has been stated. Great times also on the roof.

707 Moore heaven......at least that is what I promised the girls in 87.

I have said this 100 times since 1997.....I would come to USC more now than ever.

And it keeps getting better.

My son loves it. He can go wherever he wants grade wise.....we will see what he chooses. I am making him visit Stanford and UVA.....Honors College recruiting him though. I kind of want to see Stanford though!

Man If your son gets into Stanford, he must be very smart. I would be proud, as it has eclipsed Harvard, as the most difficult school in America to get into.

707 Moore heaven......at least that is what I promised the girls in 87.

I have said this 100 times since 1997.....I would come to USC more now than ever.

And it keeps getting better.

My son loves it. He can go wherever he wants grade wise.....we will see what he chooses. I am making him visit Stanford and UVA.....Honors College recruiting him though. I kind of want to see Stanford though!
Stanford's campus might be the most impressive in the country. Whether or not, he wants to attend LSJU, I would at least visit. Beautiful stucco buildings, ceramic tile roofs, palm trees, fountains, etc...

My son's freshman year he started out in the Roost on the first floor next to the laundry. Whoever was supposed to be his and his room mates other room mates never showed up for school so they had the entire place to themselves. Over the Thanksgiving break the residents had a meeting with the powers that be and they decided to turn his room and the one next to it into a game room, effectively moving them out. He and his room mate were furious, and I didn't blame him. He quickly got over it though when to appease us, they moved them into the West Quad. He thought he was living in "high cotton" the rest of that semester and they didn't raise the living expense either. He and his original; room mate at that time were the only freshmen living in the West Quad. The next year he moved to Stadium Suites for 2 years (major mistake) then finished off his senior year at party central "The Woodlands". Fortunately he was a straight A student in all of that party atmosphere.

I lived in East and South Quad for my Junior and Senior years, absolutely loved them. Prior to that it was Bates and Bates West all the way!

My son's freshman year he started out in the Roost on the first floor next to the laundry. Whoever was supposed to be his and his room mates other room mates never showed up for school so they had the entire place to themselves. Over the Thanksgiving break the residents had a meeting with the powers that be and they decided to turn his room and the one next to it into a game room, effectively moving them out. He and his room mate were furious, and I didn't blame him. He quickly got over it though when to appease us, they moved them into the West Quad. He thought he was living in "high cotton" the rest of that semester and they didn't raise the living expense either. He and his original; room mate at that time were the only freshmen living in the West Quad. The next year he moved to Stadium Suites for 2 years (major mistake) then finished off his senior year at party central "The Woodlands". Fortunately he was a straight A student in all of that party atmosphere.
My daughter is moving to Stadium Suites next year...what was the problem for your son, if you don't mind my asking?

My daughter is moving to Stadium Suites next year...what was the problem for your son, if you don't mind my asking?
I'm assuming that it is all of the student apartment complexes in general. Once he moved out for his senior year, they hit him and the other 3 students in the apartment with $900 worth of damage assessment, saying that they had to replace all the carpet throughout the commons area and all 4 bedrooms. It was cheap carpet and no way it would have cost $3600 to replace it. They had problems getting maintenance requests completed there as well. It may be under a new management by now. He left Stadium Suites in 2011.

Reactions: luv2hear2001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT