ADVERTISEMENT

[UVa's] Tony [Bennett] vs. The Changing College [Basketball] Landscape

While watching the Miami vs Duke BB game the other night one the announcers stated that Miami's Charlie More (G) was now playing for this 4th program. Previous DePual, Kansas, and Cal.
I don't see how any coach can manage a roster with this system from year to year.
No wonder Coach K is leaving.

EDIT: Quote from Jim Laranga - Miami HC.

Larranaga made a point of mentioning that 872 players are in the transfer portal. The Hurricanes head coach also discussed the transfer portal has changed the culture of college basketball and not allowed programs to develop players for a couple of seasons before they get significant playing time.

While watching the Miami vs Duke BB game the other night one the announcers stated that Miami's Charlie More (G) was now playing for this 4th program. Previous DePual, Kansas, and Cal.
I don't see how any coach can manage a roster with this system from year to year.
No wonder Coach K is leaving.

EDIT: Quote from Jim Laranga - Miami HC.

Larranaga made a point of mentioning that 872 players are in the transfer portal. The Hurricanes head coach also discussed the transfer portal has changed the culture of college basketball and not allowed programs to develop players for a couple of seasons before they get significant playing time.
Coach K jumped head-first into the current culture of college basketball when he decided to embrace the AAU/One-and-done scene. Since Duke's last NCAA Championship in 2014-15, he's had 17 freshmen and 1 sophomore leave for the NBA draft.
I'm not saying 'don't recruit these high-5 star athletes.' I'm saying that when you change everything you've done for decades, decide to build around kids who will be on campus for one year, and may or may not be truly invested in doing things 'Duke's way', you'll see different results. Granted, we'd LOVE to have made the NCAA 4 of 5 years, with a Sweet 16 and 2 Elite Eights, but I doubt those results were what Coach K was expecting when, for example, he signed RJ Barret, Cam Reddish and Zion Williamson.

Coach K jumped head-first into the current culture of college basketball when he decided to embrace the AAU/One-and-done scene. Since Duke's last NCAA Championship in 2014-15, he's had 17 freshmen and 1 sophomore leave for the NBA draft.
I'm not saying 'don't recruit these high-5 star athletes.' I'm saying that when you change everything you've done for decades, decide to build around kids who will be on campus for one year, and may or may not be truly invested in doing things 'Duke's way', you'll see different results. Granted, we'd LOVE to have made the NCAA 4 of 5 years, with a Sweet 16 and 2 Elite Eights, but I doubt those results were what Coach K was expecting when, for example, he signed RJ Barret, Cam Reddish and Zion Williamson.
Very incisive comments.

Just don’t call Duke players student/athletes any more than any other school who plays the one-and-done game. They go to class (probably the easy ones) for one semester and that’s it. I thought they started the G league for those that didn’t want to be a student.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT