ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Game Thread: NC A&T

C

ChrisWellbaum

WBB: Five Things to Watch - North Carolina A&T

I got yesterday's Fowl Shot sandwich on the way here
Tip is at 7 on the SEC Network. The color analyst is a certain daughter-in-law of Huggy Bear, president of the Las Vegas Aces, and former LSU coach: Nikki Fargas. And yes, her shoes are on point as always.

All available players are here. LeLe Grissett is not in uniform, but is harassing everyone who tries a layup. Hand in the face, tackle, whatever it takes. I don't see Raven Johnson, which may mean she has had her surgery. I'll ask later.

LA dunked and hung on the rim. She's risking a T.

Another dunk, this one was cleaner. LA is jokingly mobbed.

Gamecock starters: Henny, Cooke, Beal, Saxton, Boston. Same as it ever was.

An amusing Covid protocol I just noticed: Instead of pregame handshakes/high fives between the officials and teams, the officials just walk along the scorers table giving a parade wave.

A&T wins the toss. Lee misses inside and Boston grabs the rebound. Henny finds Saxton for a wide open layup.

A&T's zone is giving South Carolina some trouble. Boston is spending most of her time outside the three point line. She finally posts and converts a three-point play. Gamecocks lead 7-0.

Gamecocks lead 9-5 at the media timeout.

Littleton and Hall sub in following the timeout.

Boston scores inside, and then Hall steals the inbounds. She's whistled for a charge, but it looked like a block from my angle. Next possession Breezy hits a three.

South Carolina leads 16-10 after 1Q. Boston has 9 points and 4 rebounds. USC has a 13-5 rebounding advantage, but A&T has hit some impossible shots. The Gamecocks are just 1-7 from three.

LA gets away with a travel, foul on A&T. The look of disbelief on the Aggie coach's face was priceless.

That second quarter lull hits again. The Aggies cut it to 18-15 before Cooke hits a couple FTs. She is 0-4 from three so far.

Boston swats Tucker's layup off the stanchion. Undeterred, or unwise, McNeill drives at Boston again. Same result. Gamecocks lead 20-15 at the media timeout.

Since the threes aren't falling, Cooke drives baseline for a reverse layup. Gamecocks had missed their previous seven shots.

Then Boston scores on a putback, then is left open for a three. USC has scored 7 in the last minute. Timeout Aggies.

Feagin checks in. Early minutes for her. South Carolina is on a 13-0 run. Nope... 15-0... Nope 16-0. Gamecocks lead 34-15. It was 20-15 three minutes ago.

Great pass from Feagin to Boston for a layup. Boston has 20 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Gamecocks lead 38-15.

LA had a dunk to end the half but laid it in to be safe. Gamecocks finish on a 22-0 run to lead 40-15. The score was 20-15 with 4:48 left. South Carolina was able to run off of defensive stops and keep A&T from setting its zone. The Gamecocks also got Boston in offensive rebounding position for some easy putbacks.

Aliyah Boston's first half: 20 points, 9-9 shooting, 1-1 3, 1-1 FTs, 9 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 steal, 0 turnovers.

Boston had the first 20-point half since A'ja Wilson had 29 in the second half against Notre Dame in 2017.

Boston scores the first five points of the third quarter.

Career-high 29 points for Boston. She also has 14 rebounds and leads A&T by 11 points.

I was here the night Jocelyn Penn outscored Stetson 51-39, but in that game they were forcing it, trying to get her the record. This is even more unbelievable.

Gamecocks lead 56-20 at the media timeout.

Gamecocks now lead 60-24. I think Boston is done for the night, meaning she put up that stat line in just 20 minutes. She also set the school record for baskets without a miss (13-13), breaking Brantley Southers' 10-10 game in 1984.

Rivers misses on a backdoor cut and A&T makes a transition layup. The Aggies now have 31 points. The Gamecocks have 69.

South Carolina beats NC A&T 79-42. Boston finished with 29 points and 14 rebounds in just 20 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News