ADVERTISEMENT

We are going after a two star JUCO QB?!?

Jan 30, 2015
Per the P&C we are set to offer former Mauldin QB Dre Massey, a former ECU commit and academic non qualifier. He is a two star player and current Jr College player. Please tell me this is a joke. We have McIlwain coming.

Per the P&C we are set to offer former Mauldin QB Dre Massey, a former ECU commit and academic non qualifier. He is a two star player and current Jr College player. Please tell me this is a joke. We have McIlwain coming.
Ask any other coach in Mauldin's league who the best player in that division was that year, and it was Massey. He carried a crappy team on his shoulders. His numbers were eye-popping against defenses that keyed on him all game. I don't know why he was only a two-star, but he is a player and I would take his heart over anybody on this team.

We aren't recruiting him as a QB. Wide Receiver. He's got some wheels and good hands, but probably has no idea how to play WR.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4612737/highlights/200571379/v2
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4612737/highlights/287185375/v2

By the way, I slow-mo'd that catch in the second video. He definitely got a foot in.

I appreciate your opinions and insights, especially those that have seen him play. Still leaves me feeling very uneasy. It is not that difficult to qualify academically. That is a big red flag that speaks to lack of discipline or intelligence or both. I also do not think we need any more JUCOs at any position. Not the way to build and maintain a vibrant team.

I appreciate your opinions and insights, especially those that have seen him play. Still leaves me feeling very uneasy. It is not that difficult to qualify academically. That is a big red flag that speaks to lack of discipline or intelligence or both. I also do not think we need any more JUCOs at any position. Not the way to build and maintain a vibrant team.

You don't have to be intelligent to play college football and if you're behind in 9th and 10th grade it is very hard to get caught up in 11th and 12th. These kids are trudging along just trying to graduate high school and then all of a sudden college coaches start calling and want you to come to college. And you don't think we need JUCOs? You're going to see a ton of them in the 2017 class so get ready.

You don't have to be intelligent to play college football and if you're behind in 9th and 10th grade it is very hard to get caught up in 11th and 12th. These kids are trudging along just trying to graduate high school and then all of a sudden college coaches start calling and want you to come to college. And you don't think we need JUCOs? You're going to see a ton of them in the 2017 class so get ready.

If you are correct, then the program is done. JUCOs are a sign of a desperate, poorly run program. Look at any good program and you see very few, if any, JUCOs. And I respectfully disagree about the academics. There are tons of three, four and five star kids that qualify with no problem. That's what we need. You cannot build a sustainable program with JUCOs. Look at Clemson. Almost never see one there.

He has 2 stars in his back pocket so he really is a 4. Good lord take the kid we need playmakers!

I saw Dre Massey play in high school, he was unbelievable. Again he will not play QB. As for McIlwain, I am concerned about this recruit now. He once was going to be here in January, now it is July. MLB is getting in his head now, if he came here in Jan., he could not get drafted by MLB. Now I do believe if he goes to college for football, it will be at Carolina.

Would it be so bad to just try for a 5 star player? Our coaches act like every 5 star is the "it" girl and we are the 5 foot tall zit-faced fat kid.

Reactions: Tidal Creek Cock
If we ate trying to seriously compete for anything we don't need any more 2 star QB's, 2 star O lineman or juco guys. That should be the last resort. That is how other teams are passing us by. Do we feel like we can't land any better talent than that? I mean come on. We can't make a living going after these lower rated players.

It should be obvious even to the most ardent supporters that our current staff views recruiting as being vastly overrated....all that's needed is to convince whomever to come here, and our guys will "coach 'em up."

Only problem is he would likely be a 2 to play 2. WRs have a hard time picking up Spurrier's system in 2 years.

Relaaaaaaax. These coaches know how to evaluate talent. Wachu worreeeed bout?

That kid is awesome! I would love to have him! He dominated at the highest level in division 2, the toughest 4A region in the state.

We need to take what we can get this year. When we end up 3/9, and have a coaching change or a 70 year old coach who is rebuilding, kids are not going to be flocking here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT