ADVERTISEMENT

We seem to be at a huge Pivot Point ......

Gbocock

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2002
Hickory NC
for USC Athletics. What's changed and what's remained the same.

things that have changed:
- we have a new University President
- we fired Muschamp

what's remained the same:
- same MBB coach. After 9 yrs can we do better than this or not?
- same baseball coach. we seem to be a much better team than last year. Will this be the year
we go back to Omaha and start being a powerhouse program again?
- same WBB coach. Thank God. She is the Gold Standard for USC sports. I'm only addressing the big 4.

what needs to change:
- football needs to start the long climb back to respectability. I think Beamer will get us there. We do
need to have realistic expectations. I want to see progress every year. SB seems to be building it the
right way. He seems to be hiring the right types of coaches and not overlooking the fine details. That's
what it takes. Now we need to remember we play in the SEC. Our climb back will take time and be
somewhat painful. But these steps must be taken if we are ever to approach being a consistent winner.
- WBB. change nothing. Do whatever it takes to keep Dawn Staley.
- MBB. I am beginning to thing FM2 is doing his best right now. He's a great man to mentor kids. He's a
good coach. His sideline outbursts have lessened so it's really time to measure results. We need to take a
very hard look at where we are, where we appear to be headed and the type teams he fields. FM2 is paid
handsomely to win games. I am not sure he will ever win as many as he needs to so the "dump Frank"
bunch leave the scene. 1st we'd have to i.d. someone who'd do better. Failing that we simply need to be
happy with where we are because we can't find a better HC.
- Baseball. I am very hopeful this can be Kingston's breakout year. our offense looks better. Our pitching
seems to be much better and even our defense looks better. Time to seize the moment and and have
that breakout year.

So what will Caslen & Tanner choose. Are we content with 1 (WBB) elite athletics team or do we demand more. Football may well be in the process of righting it's self as I type this. Beamer s the son of a Hall of Fame football coach. He was born into P5 football and knows what winning looks like from the inside. I have great hopes for USC football. MBB is at a pivot point in my mind. FM2 needs to start winning games and get us back in the NCAA's. we have the support system, the facilities, really everything besides tradition a winning basketball needs to succeed. We are even in a talent rich area. If we lack anything it's only the HC to pull all the assets together and do it. I hope Frank is the one to do it. But how many years is enough to judge him a success or failure at USC?? Baseball looks to me to be on the diving board about to dive into success. But are they? I don't know and I don't know enough about coaching baseball to tell. I'd love to see Kingston roll off 8 to 10 years of wildly successful teams. The makings are all hear. Kingston just needs to make the right moves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News