ADVERTISEMENT

***Wednesday quick practice insights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
One thing I've noticed is that Deke Adams is really getting after his guys in practice. He's been quick to praise them, effusively, for doing things the right way. On the other hand, he's also been pretty demanding of them in terms of not taking shortcuts in drills, moving at the pace he wants, and the like.

The team has only been in pads for two days, but one thing I was anxious to see heading into preseason practice was whether or not this team looks like it may be better against the run than last season. For me, pass rush was a much bigger question going into 2014 because USC's linebackers will be better against the run that at the beginning of the 2013 season and I think despite USC's talent on the line last season that they sometimes didn't play the run as well as getting after the passer.

Based on what I've seen so far, I've liked the play of the front seven against the run. USC will be challenged in that department early in the season against Georgia, who should be really good running the ball yet again this season so it's a point of emphasis. I think with the linebackers a year bigger and stronger and (most importantly) more experienced, that they look more comfortable in their run fits and that despite not having a Jadeveon Clowney out there that the defensive line could benefit from the discipline of Gerald Dixon on the edge and the size of J.T. Surratt and Gerald Dixon Jr. inside.

I thought K.J. Brent and Dylan Thompson had a great connection today particularly early in practice. Twice during one-on-ones Brent ran perfect routes towards the sideline after faking an inside move and Thompson dropped it right over the defender into the waiting arms of Brent.

Shon Carson has received plenty of work in practice, and he once again stood out to me today. He's shown a nice burst and looks quicker and faster than he has to me before.

Connor Mitch didn't have as good a practice to me today. He made some nice throws, yes, but he had a questionable decision in forcing a short pass that was picked by Brison Williams and misfired on a few others as well.

Dylan Thompson made some beautiful throws, including the ones I mentioned earlier to Brent and another long ball to Brent that was on the far side of the field during some team drills. Every now and then, he forces one and he did that a time or two today but I thought overall he had a good practice.

I'll echo what Josh Low said a couple days ago in that it's been fun to watch Grady Brown coach this group of defensive backs. He gets after them at times, but he also slows things down and seems to relate to them well and explain things to them. I think some of the technique improvement in a lot of the guys that are trying to gain experience has been obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News