ADVERTISEMENT

***Weekend official visit scoop (Sunday 3:30 p.m.)

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
We'll provide updates on this weekend's crop of official visitors in the space below as new information comes in to us.

***Sunday 3:30 p.m update (from Chris):

We have not spoken personally with Hamsah Nasirildeen, but the indications I've received is that things seemed to go very well with him and his family during the official visit. Everyone's saying all the right things about him sticking with the Gamecocks.

I think there will always be some consternation until he signs on the dotted line simply because of FSU being out there and the Jay Graham connection, etc, but I think this weekend helped USC a great deal.

***Sunday 12:40 p.m. update (from Chris):

LB Sherrod Greene has completed his official visit and is en route home, but resting right now. We'll work to get a reaction from him later. I'm told that visit went great, as expected.

*** Sunday 12:30 p.m. update (From Wes):

Most of the committed guys have completed their official visits. We're still working to get a reaction from Hamsah Nasirildeen.

Tavyn Jackson enjoyed the trip along with his entire family and says his recruitment is over and he completely locked on South Carolina. He's set to arrive in June and says that most of the visit was about getting to know how teammates and talking about what happens when he arrives in Columbia. Jackson says the staff talked to him about starting out at cornerback but he's going to be crosstrained to play nickel and safety as well in case he's needed. Jackson says the togetherness of the program is what stood out the most.

Damani Staley enjoyed his trip and continuing to get to know the coaches. Staley says the staff stays in touch with him all the time. Staley says the staff talked to him about using him in space but also continuing to use his pass-rush ability.

TE commit Will Register says the highlight of the trip was putting on a Carolina jersey for the first time. He spent a lot of time with his player host Jacob August and had a great time.

Caught up with Brad Johnson. Here's a story on his visit: Brad Johnson takes detailed look at South Carolina

*** Sunday 11:45 a.m. update (from Chris):

Couple of story links here, first of all.
Devonte Wyatt: USC is 'like home'
Jordan Rhodes talks Gamecock commitment

Spoke with Georgia OL Tony Gray following his visit. He said it was a good official visit and discussed enjoying his time speaking with the USC coaches, players, and other prospects. He liked Will Muschamp and said that new OL coach Eric Wolford was a "good man."

Right now, Gray has two more official visits scheduled: Florida next weekend and Ole Miss the weekend prior to signing day. I haven't heard anything new from what we've said recently, and that's that the expectation is he'll end up elsewhere despite USC bringing him in on the visit. If we hear something indicating that has changed, we'll let everyone know, but I'm doubtful. Probably will not run a full story with Gray's quotes at this time.

*** Sunday 11 a.m. update (From Wes): The group of visitors had a catered breakfast at Will Muschamp's house this morning. I hear shrimp and grits were on the menu. The prospects will start to leave soon and we hope to have some feedback on the trips as they leave.

One uncommitted prospect who has been singled out as having a great time is OL Jordan Rhodes. I would put him heavily on the commit watch list.

Muschamp has Tweeted out a Spurs Up, but we're still trying to confirm who that may be.

The rest of the player/host combos are as follows: Sadarius Hutcherson/Eric Douglas, Jamarcus King/Tavyn Jackson, Jacob August/Will Register, TJ Brunson/Damani Staley.

*** Saturday 8:10 p.m. update (from Chris): Georgia DT commitment Devonte Wyatt's parents are both on the trip to South Carolina with him, and I've heard positive returns regarding their experience thus far. If you'll recall, Wyatt's parents had a high comfort level with the program and area even prior to Wyatt flipping to UGA, and it appears that USC is doing a good job with both again this weekend. This has been a close one between USC and Georgia and should continue as such until Wyatt renders a final decision. Making Wyatt and his parents as comfortable as possible with the out of state program is a big factor in terms of USC's chances with him. We'll see what happens here.

Speaking of parents, a popular feature for that group is the parent session that takes place on Saturday. The players have an opportunity to ask questions of current student athletes as well as the academic support staff at the school. It's something that's very informative for the parents, and I'm told that many of them exchanged numbers as well during the weekend.

*** Saturday 4:30 p.m. update (From Wes):
After all of the stuff at the stadium, the prospects are given some time to relax before heading to a catered dinner at a private hosting facility in the Vista.

The prospects will then head to Colonial Life Arena where they'll take in the basketball game as the football team is honored at halftime. They'll have dessert at the arena as well before the prospects and their hosts split off from their parents and the coaches.

One common theme has been how hard that the staff has been working Hamsah Nasirildeen and his family. There's been no question how much of a priority he is. Muschamp has put his personal touch on Nasirildeen's recruitment throughout.

Here are a few more of the player hosts: Donell Stanley/Jordan Rhodes, D.J. Wonnum/Brad Johnson, Keir Thomas/Jaylen Twyman, Antoine Wilder/Tony Gray, Randrecous Davis/Devonte Wyatt.

As I mentioned before, Steven Montac is hosting Hamsah Nasirildeen, Jake Bentley is hosting Jay Urich and Bryson Allen-Williams is hosting Sherrod Greene.

*** Quick note: Saturday 3 p.m.: Looks like commitment Damani Staley also ended up visiting this weekend.

*** Saturday 12 p.m. update (From Wes): So far, so good on the official visit weekend. I'm told prospects are enjoying themselves. Saturday is when the real meat of the visit experience takes place and it's a long, packed day for all that starts around 8 in the morning.

Prospects toured the Dodie Academic Center this morning and had breakfast there. They were also set to meet with Maria Hickman about their academics and also meet with their academic advisers individually.

I believe lunch was at the 650 Lincoln dorms where the players stay and catered by the Ultimate Tailgaters.

There's also a Beyond Football presentation and a player panel that allows the prospects to split off from their recruiters and get any real questions they may have answered by the players who live and breathe the program every day. That's been a hit with prospects in the past.

After lunch is a trip to the weight room to tour that facility and meet with the team doctors and physical trainers, etc. Early afternoon is the photo shoot where prospects will have the chance to take photos in Carolina jerseys, etc. That's also a big hit.

We'll update this post with more as we have it, but that's a quick look at what the prospects have been up to.

*** Friday late night update (From Wes): I'm told that all of the visitors made it in and that everything has gone well so far.

Both of Hamsah Nasirildeen's parents made it in with him, which was a big deal, since his mom hasn't visited before.

The prospects began arriving around 5:00 this evening and after getting checked in the hotel, everyone was bused over to Williams-Brice Stadium for dinner in The Zone.

After dinner, the prospects are free to go off with their player hosts, while the parents stick around and hang out with each other and the coaches.

I've not heard much on the player hosts, but I did hear that Steven Montac is hosting Hamsah Nasirildeen, Jake Bentley is hosting Jay Urich and Bryson Allen-Williams is hosting Sherrod Greene.

Tomorrow is a busy, busy day for all and when the meat of the visit takes place. We're sure to have some more updates then.

*** Friday 5:00 update: Hamsah Nasirildeen is en route to Columbia.

Tony Gray said via social media he was still planning on heading to Columbia today.

Brad Johnson has arrived in Columbia.

*** Friday 2:30 p.m update: Commitments and targets are beginning to hit the road to get to South Carolina. Upstate DL Brad Johnson is currently en route. DL Devonte Wyatt is due in around 6:00 p.m., and OL Jordan Rhodes was leaving Georgia around 3:00 p.m. to make his way to USC.

We'll pass along further confirmations of arrivals and such once we get them.

***Weekend visitor list***
***Carolina Confidential - Weekend recruiting visitor analysis***
*** The Insider Report - more on weekend targets***

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News