ADVERTISEMENT

Welp, every single game come down to a special teams play

CockandBoom

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2004
(TLDR cool)

yet so many programs, HS, College, and pro pay barely any attention to them.

In my final year of calling High School ST plays:

PR: 10/182 yards Avg. 18.2 2TDs
KOR: 24/661/Long 99/ Avg 28 1 TD (Avg HS K puts it to the 15 = starting field position 45)
TOTAL RETURN YARDS: 843
Punt 30/1109/Avg NET 37; 13 inside the 20 (3 downed at the 1) All 3 led to Def scores
KO: 50 TBs Avg 66 / 1 Onside (w Recovery)
Kick Scoring: 40 PATs; 9 FG (long 50) = 67 Points
1- 2 Pt Pass conversion
7 blocked punts / 4 blocked Xps
85 ST Points scored

Point is that ST can be a factor at every level of the game. 85 points is a good bit. 11 kick blocks... 37 Net on punt plays, and KO avg of 6 yards deep in HS (you know you are forcing the opposing team to go 80 yards).. most HS punters are lucky to get 30 yards and we're returning it almost 20 back (net of 12). ST = FIELD POSITION.

Perhaps coaches will begin to grasp how much it means to momentum and outcome based results and budget more than a cursory amount of time on the practice field. I spent Saturday watching our game film and scout film. On Sundays I sent the HC a list of practice schedule time I needed on each day. Monday (none) my guys train in Charlotte on Sundays. Tuesday 1. Evade drills and angle / leverage for the KO team. then 4 full team KO with 4 returners. I don't do like some coaches that have multiple balls in the air, because I want them acting as 1 unit communicating. 2 Squibs using my JV kicker. 2-3 on-sides. 2 to 3 team punts, then any formation adjustment punts such as a max protect and punting out the back of the EZ. I have 8 different FG locations set up for FG pre-planned. Live snap hold kicks with a rush based on the scout film. Grand total of 38 minutes.

I create a "group chat" type folder in HUDL where when I do my scout on Saturday it sends the film cut ups to all guys on both sides of the ball on ST. They have MDMs marked and who is assigned to those players. On Tuesday I do verbal call outs and have them point on the Ls (Ex L1, L3) they are assigned to.

Wed is 6 minutes of punt block / punt return. I have Coleman hit high balls and end over end punts to give more of a HS look. For Punt return, I have 2 - 3 balls in the air.

Thurs is walk through. 12 minutes. No balls kicked. Live snaps. More mental and assignment questions. Run through each scenario.

Friday before we leave for the game. Entire team in the gym, toes on the line. ST call outs. Personnel check. I then pick random guys as "out" for injury. to force the 2 deep guy to be JP (Johnny on sPot). * I post a 2- 3 deep of ALL ST on the locker room door on Sunday. 10 minutes.

38 + 6 + 12 + 10 = 64 minutes dedicated to ST.

For any newer coaches coming up or dads interested in ST guys, please feel free to hit me up. Today in Charlotte my guys went head to head with Jeter and the UNC and App St kickers. My rising Sr in at Cane Bay took Jeter out to 56 yards before Jeter finally beat him. In the punts, they battled Gill NC State until dark.

Something I learned from Grier, Call, Willie Offord and Lembo.. 1. I I start with Varsity upper classmen on the first teams. 2. I scout the backups for the hustle guys. I even pluck some "tooth shakers" from JV on my KO team. MAFs who knock teeth out and put them at the 1s and 4s.

Please cross your fingers, say a prayer for my dude, McKinley. Coach Lembo went another direction with the kid from Florida. THE OTHER USC is flying in to see him kick this week. I like what we're hearing as far as the money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News