ADVERTISEMENT

What makes the Chiefs so good on offense? Their skill positions

Gamecock Lifer

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2008
I was watching the Chiefs play last night and got to thinking about the offensive skill pieces they have in place. Then I was like “hmm if we could emulate this at the college level, that would be fun to watch”… So I am going to run down some comps to next years offense.. Just for fun! Obviously not saying we are the KC Chiefs or anything, just wondering if we have the talent in place to be a college version maybe..

Start at the top! QB
Mahomes- one of the best in the league- top 3/4 for sure. 6’3”, athletic guy who “can run” but mostly uses his athleticism to escape pressure. Cannon for an arm, creative play maker.

Rattler- so many comps here TBH. Mahomes is probably the guy I think Rattler best compares to of top NFL QBs.. mobile but mostly uses it to escape pressure. Great arm, and a creative play maker.. They even have a similar swagger. Mahomes is a little more “aw shucks” kind of personality but there is something similar there. Obviously he has a ton of work to do to be the next Mahomes, but as a college comp I see it!

RB- by committee. Edwards-Helaire is probably their lead but Mckinnon has played well with him injured.

We likely will run another committee at that position with Lloyd, McDowell and Beal-Smith looking to be our top 3! That is a solid rotation and a good college comp IMO.

WR- We do not have a comp for Hill, not even gonna try to say we do! He is an athletic freak of nature! They also have Hardman which is a similar style of player TBH.. both smaller SPEED guys! Then a host of guys rotate behind those guys..

Again, no comp for Hill but Brown should have a similar skill set- smaller guy who is a burner! He certainly has not been a big play maker here so far… Maybe with a better QB?? Obviously Vann is our #1 coming back so have to line him up against Hill, but he is not that fast… Nobody is! Maybe we can get Hill-like production from these two COMBINED? Comp for Hardman? Nope.. but I will put Bell in with the WRs for this discussion so while his body style is drastically different than either of KC’s top two guys, he is a play maker for us on deep routs and short/run game extension routes like screens and quick outs.. He is a burner for his size and we do/can use him similar to how they use their guys! Add in the host of returning receivers we have and new comers from the portal and HS and it is hard to peg who will play the most but we have some really good options!

TE- Kelce is the best in the NFL, has been for a while! No comp for him… BUT

STOGNER has a similar build, has shown he can be an explosive weapon in high level CFB, and is one of the best TE transfers in this cycle! We have Bell rotating in and out of this position as well and a few young guys who can play but if we are looking for a college comp, gotta be Stogner.

So- again nobody is saying we are as good as Kc or something silly, just had a little fun with the idea of projecting our offensive potential next year. I am not gonna run it down beyond the skill positions, to the line, D or coaching.. but I see some similarities here that I found interesting. I will say that TALENT makes blocking and coaching look a whole lot better.. So we will see what we do with it but our offensive skill position talent level has been dramatically upgraded!

Reactions: blsinsc and USC9195
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News