ADVERTISEMENT

When was the first time you attended a Gamecock Football game at WB or Carolina Stadium?

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
I do this thread every year when the baseball season is over.

The first game I attended was 1971, which it just occurred to me it's been 50 years ago this upcoming season. It was the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf. I rode down from Greenville with a friend of mine that has passed away a number of years ago. After we got into our seats I just remember looking around and saying to myself "this is the prettiest stadium I've ever seen".

Dickie Harris was one of the, if not the biggest star of the team. If I remember correctly he lead the nation in yards per punt returns and maybe interceptions.

When was your first game at WB or Carolina Stadium?

EDIT: The game I'm referring to above was played against Maryland and while I can't remember the exact score the Gamecocks won handily.

Last edited:
I went to a couple of games with my dad at the old Carolina Stadium right after Dietzel got here. I'd say 66-68. I don't remember much about it because at the time I didn't care about college sports. I also went to a basketball game at the old Field House before it burned. McGuire got me excited about college sports the first few seasons after the new basketball arena opened. Then I started getting interested in football. I would have been 15-16 years old by then.

The first game I attended was 1971, which it just occurred to me it's been 50 years ago this upcoming season. It was the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf. I rode down from Greenville with a friend of mine that has passed away a number of years ago. After we got into our seats I just remember looking around and saying to myself "this is the prettiest stadium I've ever seen".

Dickie Harris was one of the, if not the biggest star of the team. If I remember correctly he lead the nation in yards per punt returns and maybe interceptions.

My first game was that EXACT same game, Fred. My freshman year. Sat in the student section in the south end zone, first row. Also admired the astro turf. Got to see a great punt return by Dickie Harris, who was my track teammate. I think we beat Georgia Tech that day.

'68 or '69 - TommySuggs, WarrenMuir, DickyHarris, FreddyZiegler and a packed house - 49,000 in the CarolinaStadium. what an atmosphere. Fans stomped on the steel constructed bowl and it would rumble. dark night games, usually constant rain (seemingly), THE Carolina memory for life, it hooked me instantly as a 12yo boy.

almost forgot, Vellas after the game or maybe pre-game, depending.

Last edited:

Don't remember the specific game but I was 14. 1984. My dad took me and we had end zone seats and Ellis threw a bomb to Sterling and he caught it right in front of us. I was hooked. Needless to say I wish my dad would have never subjected me to years of future heartbreak and despair. 😫

1963 - season opener vs. Maryland. Night game in the pouring RAIN! We won! It was my Freshman year, and I thought it was the start to a great season. It was not to be. We went 1-8-1, but I was hooked for life! Go 'Cocks!

2010 against Georgia. I happened to be Georgia fan at the time and went with a good friend of mine and his grandparents. Saw Marcus Lattimore run wild. I never imagined I would wind up a student at USC fall 2013 and switch allegiances like I have. From a football fan perspective I made a really bad choice, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

2010 against Georgia. I happened to be Georgia fan at the time and went with a good friend of mine and his grandparents. Saw Marcus Lattimore run wild. I never imagined I would wind up a student at USC fall 2013 and switch allegiances like I have. From a football fan perspective I made a really bad choice, but I wouldn't change it for anything.
That was also my first game at Williams-Brice (or seeing SC). I remember the pre-game atmosphere. It was crazy. Also remember that we couldn't tackle Lattimore.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I went to the App State game in 1985, I believe. A group of us from church went. I had the program for years after. I remember it was a boring game. We won 20-13.

My first game was that EXACT same game, Fred. My freshman year. Sat in the student section in the south end zone, first row. Also admired the astro turf. Got to see a great punt return by Dickie Harris, who was my track teammate. I think we beat Georgia Tech that day.
The game I saw was Maryland, it was about mid-season when I saw the game.

Reactions: F-86F
Wow! A lot of great Gamecock fans here. I don't go back as far as many of you fellows, but I suppose my first was somewhere around 1980. Dad was a fan and somehow got a couple of tickets. He wanted me to see George Rogers run. I was 16 and not a real big fan. But by 1982 Dad was a season ticket holder and we were going to all the games. I think I became a fan by 1983. Have been a diehard ever since. Dad's not with us anymore, but he sure did love the Gamecocks.

I was attending games as far back as I can remember. I’d say 1985/86 Carolina vs. Clemson is the earliest that I went and kind of remember.

EDIT: The game I'm referring to above was played against Maryland and while I can't remember the exact score the Gamecocks won handily.

Clemson game 2019.. I went to a friend's funeral at kick off and came to the 2nd half the game to catch another funeral.

1969. It was a driving rain in the rooster booster seats. I was five and my dad had just gotten out of the Army and started college. I think it was NC State. I remember being very cold but my dad wanted to stay until the end to support the team. Good memory.

1966 I think. Went with my Scout troop. It must have been Boy Scouts Day because there were numerous other troops In the end zone with us. I think Carolina won, but I don't remember the score or the opponent. I mostly remember that the bus ran hot on the way & we missed most of the first half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT