ADVERTISEMENT

Who watched Halftime- Thoughts?

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
I normally use halftime to check out the Puppy Bowl or Kitten Bowl but I did half way watch it.

I am not a Rap fan at all but I thought it was pretty good and I can see how those that like those artists could like it.

I thought it was fairly family friendly compared to what I sort of anticipated.

The entertainment value seemed pretty high.

Neither my wife or I recognized the one guy with the Dre Day guys but other than that an interesting bit of nostalgia. I used to listen to a lot of Dre, Snoop and Eminem so it was nice they didn’t try to do anything “new”. My wife loves Snoop and his track suits after seeing him with Martha Stewart but her main comments were about 50 and MJB and how time has not been kind to them.

I still wish the push to get Weird Al to perform would come through but it’s unlikely.

I thought it was pretty good with the dancing and props and all. I’m not particularly a rap/hip hop fan. But I listened to those artist and particular songs back high school when they were new. Everyone liked Snoop Dog. I didn’t expect Eminem to pop out there at the end which was pretty cool. It’s was late GenX stuff.

Having the The Rock give a speech at the beginning of the game added a nice touch. Huge ROCK fan here.

Last edited:
I looked it up, their ages are:
Dre 56
MJ Blige 51
Snoop 50
Eminem 49
50 Cent 46

the other guy is a lot younger but I’d say for a group of basically 50 year old they put on a damn good show, whether you like the genre or not.
I enjoyed it for sure having grown up listening to most of them

It's not my jam, and I don't listen to that genre in my house or car, but with that said, I watched the show for what it was. A halftime show. Nothing more, nothing less.

It was solid. Perfect timing to have them perform (old enough that most adults know who they are and music that the kids could begrudgingly admit was cool).

It appears to have have really upset the usual suspects - the ones you could have predicted beforehand.

(I'm leaving out the obvious racist takes that were showing up on twitter last night)

Reactions: funktavious
I haven’t watched a full SB halftime show this century. Just small pieces of them. Too much hype, gyrations, over the top, disappointing, rushed, etc.. could say the same for commercials.

Even thou
It appears to have have really upset the usual suspects - the ones you could have predicted beforehand.

(I'm leaving out the obvious racist takes that were showing up on twitter last night)

So I really enjoy, Lenny Kravitz, Prince, Isley Brothers, Spinners, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, and many more black artists. But really did not care for last nights halftime show at all. Does that make me a racist in your eyes ??

Reactions: Jbouton2

haha. When Charlie Kirk finally has sex he'll loosen up.

I thought it was by far the best half-time show since, the one I consider the best, Prince. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I am older than anyone who was on the stage last night.

Watched a few minutes and could tell it was the worst half time show since the beginning of the Super Bowl so I quit watching it.

I could do without Lamar. He doesn't fit there at all. He's just produced by Dre. Impala's have always been their thing. They drove one onto the stage in 1993 Chronic Tour. Not counting Eminem I saw 1 white person. Their music is great. The 90's is by far the best music genre and Dre sent hip hop into the stratosphere with The Chronic

Neither my wife or I recognized the one guy with the Dre Day guys but other than that an interesting bit of nostalgia. I used to listen to a lot of Dre, Snoop and Eminem so it was nice they didn’t try to do anything “new”. My wife loves Snoop and his track suits after seeing him with Martha Stewart but her main comments were about 50 and MJB and how time has not been kind to them.

I still wish the push to get Weird Al to perform would come through but it’s unlikely.
Kendrick Lamar who is a popular artist today. I think the overall theme was Dr Dre and the biggest artists that are associated with him and his label once he left Deathrow records.

I was thinking it would have been cool to have Ice Cube and maybe some of the other remaining NWA guys but I'm sure **** the police would not be as well received as the family friendly versions Snoops songs were.

Even thou

So I really enjoy, Lenny Kravitz, Prince, Isley Brothers, Spinners, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, and many more black artists. But really did not care for last nights halftime show at all. Does that make me a racist in your eyes ??

Ha

No. The ones that were showing their racism last night were using the N word on twitter directed at the halftime show.

There did seem to be an awful lot of people mad that it was a rap half time show. But I'm not sure the source of their anger. I mean I don't like Rap either, but I don't get angry that it was on the halftime show.

Reactions: rogue cock
Kendrick Lamar who is a popular artist today. I think the overall theme was Dr Dre and the biggest artists that are associated with him and his label once he left Deathrow records.

I was thinking it would have been cool to have Ice Cube and maybe some of the other remaining NWA guys but I'm sure **** the police would not be as well received as the family friendly versions Snoops songs were.
I saw who that was afterwards and while I recognized the name and some of his music he just wasn’t a face that I knew. No different than last year with The Weekend. Knew a lot of the songs but I think that was the first time I had actually seen him.

Ice Cube would have been a good choice and I think he might have fit in well there. You’re probably right about the overall take on the NWA song but I would have lost it if they even started playing the music to that and switched to something else. Would have been hilarious.

I could do without Lamar. He doesn't fit there at all. He's just produced by Dre. Impala's have always been their thing. They drove one onto the stage in 1993 Chronic Tour. Not counting Eminem I saw 1 white person. Their music is great. The 90's is by far the best music genre and Dre sent hip hop into the stratosphere with The Chronic
You do realize that everyone on that stage was produced by Dr. Dre right?

The younger guy was Kendrick Lamar. Probably considered a Top 3 current Rap artist, but has mysteriously disappeared from the scene since doing the Black Panther soundtrack in 2018. Has worked with Dr. Dre some so that connection was there to get a recent artist in the set. Rumors are that Lamar's performance is a sign that a new album is coming out.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Ha

No. The ones that were showing their racism last night were using the N word on twitter directed at the halftime show.

There did seem to be an awful lot of people mad that it was a rap half time show. But I'm not sure the source of their anger. I mean I don't like Rap either, but I don't get angry that it was on the halftime show.
Older people need to prepare to get mad then, because rap has been the most listened to genre on music platforms for a while. Entities like the Super Bowl are just looking for ways to incorporate while making it family friendly. With guys like Dr. Dre and Snoop getting older, they were a perfect choice. ....and heck, who doesn't like Snoop. He is that older, cool uncle that everyone loves. Just a likeable guy. If you have ever seen the crowds for newer rap artists like Playboi Carti and Lil Uzi Vert, it is usually dominated by white teenagers.

While I do find Snoop likable and amusing. I understand that most all of hip-hop / rap must be entertaining to their many fans, but probably not to people like myself that enjoy listening to artist's that actually have true musical talent.

Glad Snoop didn’t bring in the poles and pole dancers like he did at the Kansas midnight madness, which em was supposedly a family atmosphere. They must have cleaned it up last night. I like good artists of all races and nationalities and cultures that have musical talent (which rap does not). I prefer Charlie Pride. But if I don’t like it I don’t cry foul, it’s easy to change the channel.

While I do find Snoop likable and amusing. I understand that most all of hip-hop / rap must be entertaining to their many fans, but probably not to people like myself that enjoy listening to artist's that actually have true musical talent.
How in the hell can you say Dr. Dre doesn’t have musical talent.

Glad Snoop didn’t bring in the poles and pole dancers like he did at the Kansas midnight madness, which em was supposedly a family atmosphere. They must have cleaned it up last night. I like good artists of all races and nationalities and cultures that have musical talent (which rap does not). I prefer Charlie Pride. But if I don’t like it I don’t cry foul, it’s easy to change the channel.
People, depending on their generation, like different things. You may like country or rock and roll because that was the music of your time. However, this is the computer generation. Many young kids will say, "what is that", if you pull out a guitar now. Even if they recognize it, they are not into a guitar-based or acoustic music like that. The funny thing is that a lot of the rap now sounds eerily similar to country music just with heavy bass over the top of it. So, just like David Chappelle showed in one of his skits, every generation or group of people has their instrument.

Last edited:
Older people need to prepare to get mad then, because rap has been the most listened to genre on music platforms for a while. Entities like the Super Bowl are just looking for ways to incorporate while making it family friendly. With guys like Dr. Dre and Snoop getting older, they were a perfect choice. ....and heck, who doesn't like Snoop. He is that older, cool uncle that everyone loves. Just a likeable guy. If you have ever seen the crowds for newer rap artists like Playboi Carti and Lil Uzi Vert, it is usually dominated by white teenagers.
I've always liked Mary J Blige who I would guess is about as mainstream as you can get. Have a couple of her CDs....very good R&B singer also.

I recognized Snoop and knew Eminem's song mainly because Weird Al did a parody of it but, other than a few exceptions, I'm not a big fan of rap. That being said, the halftime show was energetic and fun. As I said to my wife, "At least it's not country music."

I listen to The Beastie Boys. Snoop and Coolio and Ice Cube seem to have a good sense of humor and can be fun when they're not over-the-top dirty. A lot of rap has a great beat and clever lyrics. Same can be said for Lin-Manuel Miranda. I'm not a big fan of his either but can respect the talent.

As for country, I used to listen to classics like Glen Campbell and Eddy Arnold. Dolly Parton can do no wrong. Most country music, though, makes me want to throw up. Again, talent is obvious, just not something I want to listen to.

Most people are arrogant when it comes to the music of their generation. I try to avoid being that way myself sometimes.
While putting together a bunch of rhymes to some canned scratchy beat with sometimes very vulgar lyrics has proven to be great entertainment and is the overwhelming choice of music listened to by todays youth. But by No means confuse it with the talent it takes to read music, actually sing ( not talk ) a song with a skilled band behind you. Lets see
Michale Buble vs Lil Baby
Aretha Franklin vs Nicki Minaj
Nat King Cole vs Kendick Lamar
Barbara Streisand vs Cardi B
Frank Sinatra vs Lil Wayne
Whitney Houston vs Megan thee Stallion
John Legend vs Young Thug
Adele vs Doja Cat
While these and many more rap/ hip hop artists are great performers and entertainers. They do not have the complete musical talent, knowledge and vocal ability to truly sing and deliver a song like those in the left column.
I do think that Drake, Beyonce and some other of todays popular artists have great vocal talent and entertaining ability, but I would not call them strictly Hip-Hop / Rappers

It was great if you are a 14-year old who identifies as living in the 90s.

A 14 year old wouldn’t know who those people are. The age demographic they would have known a lot and enjoyed it were 28-45. I’m 33 and those were the hits when I was in high school.

Not to mention those artist can play more instruments than you give them credit. Bruno Mars records all the instruments on his albums. Most people don’t know that. Adele is a hell of a drummer. Granted they don’t rap but my point is some rappers play instruments you don’t know about. Just like Dre playing the piano last night.
While putting together a bunch of rhymes to some canned scratchy beat with sometimes very vulgar lyrics has proven to be great entertainment and is the overwhelming choice of music listened to by todays youth. But by No means confuse it with the talent it takes to read music, actually sing ( not talk ) a song with a skilled band behind you. Lets see
Adele vs Doja Cat
While these and many more rap/ hip hop artists are great performers and entertainers. They do not have the complete musical talent, knowledge and vocal ability to truly sing and deliver a song like those in the left column.
I do think that Drake, Beyonce and some other of todays popular artists have great vocal talent and entertaining ability, but I would not call them strictly Hip-Hop / Rappers
Musical talent comes in many forms not just vocals and reading music. Many great pianist can’t read music. Billy Joel is one of them. You don’t produce 10+ Grammy award winning artist and creat beats without having talent in dr. Dre’s case.

Last edited:
Reactions: funktavious
Adele vs Doja Cat
You can go on about this all day, but we all can recognize that most band programs are dying and most kids today want to just be entertained by music. They don't care where it comes or care how much work was put into it. They just want it to sound good to them. My brother is a band director and he goes through this frustration every day. So, we can go all go on about musical talent, but most people under 40 just don't care. Most concerts that you go to today will not have one musical instrument on the stage. The people with the musical talent may be appreciated but bore the younger generation to death. So, there are pros and cons to both.

I'm not mad.
I'm not angry.
I'm a classic rock fan meaning most of the groups I like are gone lol.
With that said, I'm not a rap fan.
So to me it was just noise.
Didn't enjoy it at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT