ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we so often do facilities upgrades "on the cheap"

Maybe I am dreaming but there has been chatter about the building possibly missing some of the bells and whistles seen at other places like Clempson. Of course, its not even open yet and we shoudl wait and see.

Many schools are doing some type of impressive end zone upgrade. Moving the offices from the Floyd Building to the new ops center gives us the opportunity to do that but our AD doesn't seem to be thinking that way.

Do a little Google image serarcing for renovations at Missouri, Arkansas, Auburn to see what is goign on in the conference. Arkansas under contstruction on an impressive end zone upgrade and many are spending in the $75-125 million range.
The north end zone is substandard and it will still be substandard after they turn the outdated Floyd building into a bar.

If you're concerned about improving the fan experience, I try think they should improve concessions. The best stadiums have great concessions, just this here little ol fan's humble point of view.

My word, this is nuts! We’ve got nice facilities, and they’re going to continue to improve. I remember what The Brice was like in the 70’s. We’ve come A LONG way since then! And I’m sure we will keep on making changes along and along. Be thankful for what we DO have instead of whining about what we don’t have.

Reactions: cocky4
My word, this is nuts! We’ve got nice facilities, and they’re going to continue to improve. I remember what The Brice was like in the 70’s. We’ve come A LONG way since then! And I’m sure we will keep on making changes along and along. Be thankful for what we DO have instead of whining about what we don’t have.
The North End Zone, which is exactly as it was years before I went to the University in 1968, save having the undistinguished Floyd building sitting atop it, is a monstrosity, I don't care who you are.

Reactions: Cybercock
The North End Zone, which is exactly as it was years before I went to the University in 1968, save having the undistinguished Floyd building sitting atop it, is a monstrosity, I don't care who you are.
Sure. As I said, there will be more changes to come. My word, do you not see all the changes we HAVE made?

While I was glad to see this week the announcemnt about continued work at Williams-Brice, I have to say I am underwhelmed with the plans. With the new football facility opening this fall, the AD has the chance to do something dramatic and impressive with the north stands now that the staff offices are moving from the Floyd Building to the new space. I am not really advocating for more seats and 100% understand the need for more premium fan space to generate revenue. Just seems we should be thinking bolder. I mean Forbes did just list us as one of the most valuable college programs in the country. Cleary the national trend is towards facilities with more bells and whistles, more premium amenities and projects geared toward fan experience and comfort.

That a look at Bama's new plans, look at what A&M did. Auburn also has major renovation plans. All are spending or have spent big bucks on projects far more impressive than what we heard from our AD last week.

Think about it.....Colonial Life Arena, impressive but built on the cheap....the Floyd Building work at WB was totally built on the cheap....some are already complaining that the new football operations building lacks some of the wow factor we need in today's recruiting environment.

Tanner needs to think bolder. He seems to be treading water. We need a visionary AD.

GO COCKS!!! BEAT VANDY!!!

Tanner does not do bold, he does "safe". Boring.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Winning at what? Alienating the rest of the world? Except Russia, of course.

Well the argument could be made it was the world that alienated the US. With billion dollar trade deficits with every swinging dick country....we should be a little alienated. Maybe you enjoyed being the world doormat but for the rest of us we think we have a right to stand up for our interest.

Speaking of cheap, we are chartering from National Airlines for our football charters. Every other SEC team is chartering from one of the big boys (Delta, American, United). National Airlines only owns 4 aircraft and they don’t have the greatest safety record either. Are we that cheap that we would put our team on a rag tag charter outfit.

Well, not sure what concerned voters being upset that the country had just elected a racist President has to do with Gamecock athletics, but we joined the SEC in 1992...... 26 years ago. Of course there have been upgrades since then....mostly put in place and started by Eric Hyman. I dont think the state of Carolina facilities in 1992 have anything to do with expectations for today.

I was simply pointing out that if you look around the SEC (again Arkansas, Missouri) other schools are pouring major money into nice end zone upgrades that aren't just about adding seats. With the move of the coaches offices, South Carolina has the opportunity to do the same thing. So far we have not.
Trump is a racist? 83% of Democrats say Trump is a racist. 83% of Republicans say Trump is not. It is a fact that any white male republican voted in after Obama was going to be called a racist to help feed the Democrats train. Many articles about this phenomenon. Saying that if a female would have won there would not be gender or race arguments brought forward.

So, you made the statement, please enlighten us on what racist facts that can be verified that you know about Trump? Wanting reduce illegal migration into the US is not racism.

Trump is the first President in a long time, I would suggest since Reagan, that has had the US's best interest at heart. And that is with conviction, it isn't because he is making more money as president and he obviously isnt making a re-election a priority like all the recent presidents that just campaigned for 6 yrs and only tried to accomplish 1 noteworthy bill in their last two yrs.

So, give me some racists facts off the top of your head without Googling his entire history!

Trump is a racist? 83% of Democrats say Trump is a racist. 83% of Republicans say Trump is not. It is a fact that any white male republican voted in after Obama was going to be called a racist to help feed the Democrats train. Many articles about this phenomenon. Saying that if a female would have won there would not be gender or race arguments brought forward.

So, you made the statement, please enlighten us on what racist facts that can be verified that you know about Trump? Wanting reduce illegal migration into the US is not racism.

Trump is the first President in a long time, I would suggest since Reagan, that has had the US's best interest at heart. And that is with conviction, it isn't because he is making more money as president and he obviously isnt making a re-election a priority like all the recent presidents that just campaigned for 6 yrs and only tried to accomplish 1 noteworthy bill in their last two yrs.

So, give me some racists facts off the top of your head without Googling his entire history!
Trump is Trump's only interest. That you Trumpsters can't see that is just sad.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
How come every sports related thread manages to get turned into something political on here? If you ask me democrats and republicans are being played by both parties.

Sometimes I wonder if there wasn’t a D or R by these people’s names would we be a more united nation. There is rasicism on both sides but not everybody on both sides is a racist. If one person is bad then the whole party gets painted with a broad brush that way and its the same way with different races.

Just say, "Think State Pension Plan".
Just say that, when you aver certain opinions, you need to be ready to contend with those who disagree. I've been through the wars many times and doubtless will again. Today wasn't one of the days I was willing to be engaged in certain discussions.

Last edited:
Tanner does not do bold, he does "safe". Boring.
Simply because we are a "safe" program. And we will remain boring in football, losing regularly to UGA and the taters, beating Vandy and UK (this would actually be something new if we do this), and kicking the crap out of Coastal and Wofford.

Maybe our leaders recognize how stupidly expensive college has gotten to be and don't wanna add to the tuition burden.

Speaking of cheap, we are chartering from National Airlines for our football charters. Every other SEC team is chartering from one of the big boys (Delta, American, United). National Airlines only owns 4 aircraft and they don’t have the greatest safety record either. Are we that cheap that we would put our team on a rag tag charter outfit.
You'd think with Delta being the main airline flying into CAE that they could strike a deal with them on charter flights.

Maybe our leaders recognize how stupidly expensive college has gotten to be and don't wanna add to the tuition burden.
If that's the case, then just come right out and admit it so we can stop wasting our time and money supporting a program that isn't even going to try to be competitive.

The following quote is from an Aug 2018 article in the Charleston Post and Courier

USC has competed in the college arms race, building an academic center, then an indoor practice field, then the Long Center while “prettying up” existing facilities. Perhaps there aren’t as many bells and whistles as Clemson’s opulent Reeves Football Complex — which cost $5 million more, has 30,000 more square feet and offers a nine-hole mini-golf course, a golf simulator, a wiffle ball field and a giant slide, each as admired as they are mocked — but as Muschamp said, this isn’t just a place for players to be when they’re not on the field, in their room or in class.

Now I know USC it seems intetionally took a different approach. Time will tell if it was the right one.
Oh, it wasn't.

If you're concerned about improving the fan experience, I try think they should improve concessions. The best stadiums have great concessions, just this here little ol fan's humble point of view.

As a visiting fan (attended the Coastal game and sat in sec 101) I was amazed at how long and slow the lines were at multiple concession stands. They weren't even fully staffed (more cash registers than workers). It took me 20 minutes to get water in the middle of a quarter, not during a break. I read about the same issues with water (but worse) last year. Other stadiums I've been to don't have this problem, at least not to this degree.

As an outsider, I'll say Williams Brice looks better than it ever has. The improvements with parking at the fairgrounds and farmers market have been big. The new plaza around the stadium is a real improvement too. There's more that can be done, but take care of the basics first.

Also, maybe a huge sunshade supported by helium balloons covering the entire stadium and surrounding areas would be nice.

I mock the Taters all the time, but I can’t say I’ve seen an article mocking their complex. Out of jealousy maybe. Or the idea that it’s wayyyyy too fancy, and the one from 1982 is still fine.

We (no Ray, the BOT, and USC) whiffed on this big time. There are kids that will go there because of theirs. We will want and need some of them.

Two separate questions here.

Why do we do stuff on the cheap historically? Because we don't have the money some schools do.

Why doesn't our football facility have a wiffle ball field? Because it's ridiculous

This thread has now officially gon off the rails... Tiger fan here somebody throw something this way! Get back to the sports world!

I mock the Taters all the time, but I can’t say I’ve seen an article mocking their complex. Out of jealousy maybe. Or the idea that it’s wayyyyy too fancy, and the one from 1982 is still fine.

We (no Ray, the BOT, and USC) whiffed on this big time. There are kids that will go there because of theirs. We will want and need some of them.

Afraid this right.

I guess we should put a lazy river around the new football center so everyone can get along RollLaugh

That is not a bad idea. Do you guys mind if I pass that one on to Dabo? That would be a good project after the Trophy room expansion is complete. (Note to self, help these guys pull conversation back to sports and off of politics, take one for the team)

I wish there was a message pinned to the top of all "POWER 5" football message boards that explained that tuition money and STATE funding does NOT pay for Football and Football Facilities. How many times does this have to be covered? The SC and Clemson athletic departments actually contribute large amounts of money to the academic endeavors of their respective universities.

You'd think with Delta being the main airline flying into CAE that they could strike a deal with them on charter flights.

No, no. Not Delta, please! Their female stewards whack you on your head if you complain about the peanuts, kick your foot if it's one inch into the aisle and they love to come roaring down the aisle when they see you sipping your Coke so they can jam your elbow and then laugh about it.

We have quite the split coming in from the SEC, and enough to build a Zone Part II to the tune of $20 million for the every day fan, so the money argument is tired. It was true years ago. Now the WB outside improvements were a great start, and look really good, the scoreboard still looks really good, and we built ours after other schools and it was better because of that imo, but the complex is just another building if it isn’t completely lit, like kids say nowadays.

Anyway, it’s not just the complex, it’s an overall vision for where USC truly wants football to be. That’s how you overcome your history, and the recent success of your rivals, doing just enough isn’t it. The lazy river, or hopefully some kind of pool ain’t half bad. Makes the 180 degree summers that much better. That’s the vision we need.

Well, not sure what concerned voters being upset that the country had just elected a racist President has to do with Gamecock athletics, but we joined the SEC in 1992...... 26 years ago. Of course there have been upgrades since then....mostly put in place and started by Eric Hyman. I dont think the state of Carolina facilities in 1992 have anything to do with expectations for today.

I was simply pointing out that if you look around the SEC (again Arkansas, Missouri) other schools are pouring major money into nice end zone upgrades that aren't just about adding seats. With the move of the coaches offices, South Carolina has the opportunity to do the same thing. So far we have not.
Not sure about Arky, but Mizzou didn't have a choice. They are very far behind everyone else in the SEC.

Well the argument could be made it was the world that alienated the US. With billion dollar trade deficits with every swinging dick country....we should be a little alienated. Maybe you enjoyed being the world doormat but for the rest of us we think we have a right to stand up for our interest.
You need to study macroeconomics...and what does and DOES NOT factor into trade deficits.

Trump's view of trade is very mercantilistic...a zero-sum game, but that thought process on trade pretty much ended with Adam Smith. Here is a good article from a fiscally conservative group.

https://www.cato.org/publications/congressional-testimony/americas-misunderstood-trade-deficit

Trump is a populist, not a conservative by any stretch of the imagination....which is why I don't support him. He is the antithesis of a conservative.

Reactions: USC2USC
I've never seen a thread get off and back on the rails this much. Kudos to those trying to discuss the OP. And stay strong those that want to discuss politics.

You need to study macroeconomics...and what does and DOES NOT factor into trade deficits.

Trump's view of trade is very mercantilistic...a zero-sum game, but that thought process on trade pretty much ended with Adam Smith. Here is a good article from a fiscally conservative group.

https://www.cato.org/publications/congressional-testimony/americas-misunderstood-trade-deficit

Trump is a populist, not a conservative by any stretch of the imagination....which is why I don't support him. He is the antithesis of a conservative.

I am not a conservative either. The whole idea of money and investment flowing to the lowest point is a crock of crap that will end up with the entire world racing to the bottom. Even so the free trade principals of having a fair playing field has not been adhered to by the rest of the world who have all implemented protectionist hurdles to give advantage to their domestic manufacturing base. Whatever game we are playing...it is foolish to play by the rules that nobody else adheres to. The only advantage the system as it was set up gives is to the big cats that have taken advantage of our open markets with investment outside of the states. Whatever the world wishes to do....it will hurt them more than us..but us voluntarily laying down and practically handing our wealth over..that time is gone.

Reactions: Gaimcock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT