ADVERTISEMENT

Williams-Brice without the ramp advertising

F

FGF Supercock

williamsbrice1.jpg

williamsbrice2.jpg

Looks more 'collegiate' I suppose without the ads. Kinda liked the Gamecock painted across the walls of the access ramps. The whole plaza project presents a great 'Campus Feel' to the stadium area and, along with the Gamecock Park (old Farmers Market) and fairgrounds parking area redo, we now have a game day stadium area environment second to none.

Reactions: Tigerof66
Looks more 'collegiate' I suppose without the ads. Kinda liked the Gamecock painted across the walls of the access ramps. The whole plaza project presents a great 'Campus Feel' to the stadium area and, along with the Gamecock Park (old Farmers Market) and fairgrounds parking area redo, we now have a game day stadium area environment second to none.

I,too, kind of like them painted garnet.

Rode by the stadium last week and thought the ads didn't look right next to the brick on the gates. I think this is a good move.

Rode by the stadium last week and thought the ads didn't look right next to the brick on the gates. I think this is a good move.

You're probably right about that. We need to keep the 'classic' look that's been developed in the stadium area over the past 3 years or so. I can't imagine any other 'sacred football temple' in the SEC painting up their stadium exterior. Banners - that's something else, but I'm not overly fond of the SOS banner - garnet w/black letters (USC) banners would look great in between the exterior support columns. JMO.

It was fine before but with the new layout it would have just cheapened the look. I would think something is planned but it needs to fit what's becoming a beautiful scene around the stadium. I remember walking through the fair ground and dust getting all over you from the dirt parking. It's night and day....wonderful....

I've been saying for years that the sides of the ramps (especially sides of North East/West ramps, facing Fairgrounds) would make a nice place to put signage about our bowl games, etc. We obviously don't have the tradition of a lot of our SEC counterparts, but we should emphasize the accomplishments we do have. Go Cocks!

I just got back from the stadium and it looks much better without the ads or the "color" on the OUTSIDE. You can see color from the outside on the upper levels of the east side concession areas, and the endzone which is enough. Stadium has a clean and classy look now. Looks like the paint inside has been touched up. Looks great.

Looks better- but too much of a concrete look.

The next thing up - the university should add a large brick and glass type entrance to the north side of the stadium - and create a market-square or lobby area - to make a grand entrance area into the stadium from that side.

Great idea, now that you mentioned the idea.

Almost 30-years ago (opening in '86) the Rouse Company, which was responsible for some BEAUTIFUL 'themed' resort AND urban developments throughout America (Sea Pines Plantation, Amelia Island Plantation, Fanuiel Hall Marketplace, Brandermill, Jacksonville's Riverwalk - among many others) attempted a 'festival marketplace' in downtown Richmond.
Involving both sides of "Broad Street" they constructed a magnificent ENCLOSED overhead walkway of primarily wrought iron (wide enough for pedestrian walking AND for several dozen 'shopping kiosks') and that sucker was BEAUTIFUL. It spanned the equivalent-width of six traffic lanes (with a 'center isle' landscaped support-divider at a height sufficient for the largest emergency vehicle to clear-under traveling east or west) - the whole thing was topped in the middle of the street by an awesome 4-sided clock cupola.
At it's terminus on either end were steps, escalators and elevators designed to move a WHOLE BUNCH of people.
I don't remember how MUCH it cost then but my guess in today's dollars would be at least $20 million - AT LEAST.
When the marketplace failed (100-year old retail anchor-tenants moved from downtown to the suburbs, closing their 'flagship' downtown stores - which started the stampede) in < 10-years 'round the mid-90's the City of Richmond took 'bids' on that walkway ... originally NOBODY bid - then finally SOMEBODY (I don't know who) acquired it for the cost of dismantlement and moving, including the caveat they didn't have to 'pay' for any building or demolition permits!
I heard the entire 'removal' project (essentially reverse construction , transportation and storage of materials) was a < $3 million job ... heck, those four (4) 5-foot diameter Verdin clocks were probably worth $75,000 each ... it was an absolute STEAL.
I can still see that elevated walkway in my mind's eye and that sucker would be truly AWESOME leading from the fairgrounds over to Williams-Brice ... as would something 'like it'.

I think you guys are on to something ... but given the 'quality' of what's coming on-board now any such 'walkway' would need to be much more than an open-air (even covered) flyover, chain-link enclosed concrete footpath. There are some stunning-such 'pedestrian pathways/walkways' in lots of locales that could fit the bill.

I think the Gamecock Club 'ought send you guys to 'Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston and Chicago to start with so you can begin to 'scope out' our options. Do us proud!

Almost 30-years ago (opening in '86) the Rouse Company, which was responsible for some BEAUTIFUL 'themed' resort AND urban developments throughout America (Sea Pines Plantation, Amelia Island Plantation, Fanuiel Hall Marketplace, Brandermill, Jacksonville's Riverwalk - among many others) attempted a 'festival marketplace' in downtown Richmond.
Involving both sides of "Broad Street" they constructed a magnificent ENCLOSED overhead walkway of primarily wrought iron (wide enough for pedestrian walking AND for several dozen 'shopping kiosks') and that sucker was BEAUTIFUL. It spanned the equivalent-width of six traffic lanes (with a 'center isle' landscaped support-divider at a height sufficient for the largest emergency vehicle to clear-under traveling east or west) - the whole thing was topped in the middle of the street by an awesome 4-sided clock cupola.
At it's terminus on either end were steps, escalators and elevators designed to move a WHOLE BUNCH of people.
I don't remember how MUCH it cost then but my guess in today's dollars would be at least $20 million - AT LEAST.
When the marketplace failed (100-year old retail anchor-tenants moved from downtown to the suburbs, closing their 'flagship' downtown stores - which started the stampede) in < 10-years 'round the mid-90's the City of Richmond took 'bids' on that walkway ... originally NOBODY bid - then finally SOMEBODY (I don't know who) acquired it for the cost of dismantlement and moving, including the caveat they didn't have to 'pay' for any building or demolition permits!
I heard the entire 'removal' project (essentially reverse construction , transportation and storage of materials) was a < $3 million job ... heck, those four (4) 5-foot diameter Verdin clocks were probably worth $75,000 each ... it was an absolute STEAL.
I can still see that elevated walkway in my mind's eye and that sucker would be truly AWESOME leading from the fairgrounds over to Williams-Brice ... as would something 'like it'.

I think you guys are on to something ... but given the 'quality' of what's coming on-board now any such 'walkway' would need to be much more than an open-air (even covered) flyover, chain-link enclosed concrete footpath. There are some stunning-such 'pedestrian pathways/walkways' in lots of locales that could fit the bill.

I think the Gamecock Club 'ought send you guys to 'Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston and Chicago to start with so you can begin to 'scope out' our options. Do us proud!
You put more 'unneeded' quotation marks around your 'words' than anyone I've 'noticed.'

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT