ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson Injured In Summer League With Pelicans

USC75Grad

Sep 8, 2015
My apologies if this has already been posted.

Doesn't sound like it is a real serious injury.

"The Zion Williamson Show is taking a summer hiatus. The Pelicans’ No. 1-overall pick in this year’s NBA draft will sit out the rest of NBA Summer League after bruising his left knee on Friday against the Knicks. “Zion will move forward from this incident without issue,” Pelicans Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations David Griffin said in a statement. “However, in an abundance of caution, we have made the determination that he will not appear in game action for the remainder of NBA Summer League. He will continue to take part in training and conditioning with our performance team.”

https://nypost.com/2019/07/06/zion-williamsons-nba-summer-league-comes-to-a-sad-end/

At 6'7" 285, he'll get injured every other week! I would never have drafted him with the top overall pick.

I'm not predicting anything, but it is worth noting that Zion is the second heaviest player in the NBA at 285 lbs. Marjanovic with the Clippers is 290. The difference is that he's 7'3" while Zion sits at 6'6". Shaq was 290s out of college but he was 7'1". That's just a lot of weight on a comparatively small frame.

That much weight on Zion's frame over the course of an 82 game season is certainly a concern.

Reactions: robertcock
I'm not predicting anything, but it is worth noting that Zion is the second heaviest player in the NBA at 285 lbs. Marjanovic with the Clippers is 290. The difference is that he's 7'3" while Zion sits at 6'6". Shaq was 290s out of college but he was 7'1". That's just a lot of weight on a comparatively small frame.

That much weight on Zion's frame over the course of an 82 game season is certainly a concern.

The point every one is choosing to ignore is all that bulk at such a young age. By the time he is 25 he'll be toting 320. Obviously diet and conditioning is not a priority at this time. Maybe he'll mature and work on it. But I doubt it. He showed up for summer league out of shape.

wow yall really bashing this 19 year old kid eh? He is an SC product and we should be supporting him no matter what. Shame on yall
Predicting what an athlete will do is bashing him?
Listen, at his size, he's a tweener with great athleticism but no jumper to speak of. You have to be able to shoot it in the NBA. I think being skeptical of his pro prospects is only logical. If he develops a jumper, he reminds me of Larry "Gramama" Johnson, but if not, he could easily bust.

Reactions: lawcalcock
Predicting what an athlete will do is bashing him?
Listen, at his size, he's a tweener with great athleticism but no jumper to speak of. You have to be able to shoot it in the NBA. I think being skeptical of his pro prospects is only logical. If he develops a jumper, he reminds me of Larry "Gramama" Johnson, but if not, he could easily bust.

By most analyst's accounts, his jumper has greatly improved, which makes him downright scary.

He's an absolute freak and it shouldn't be possible for someone of his size to jump like he does. I've got no qualms whatsoever about his game and I think anyone is really just grasping at straws to try finding a genuine weakness.

It's just a matter of whether his body (specifically his knees) can take the grind of an NBA season at his size. He's an athletic freak, so it may not be an issue.

By most analyst's accounts, his jumper has greatly improved, which makes him downright scary.

He's an absolute freak and it shouldn't be possible for someone of his size to jump like he does. I've got no qualms whatsoever about his game and I think anyone is really just grasping at straws to try finding a genuine weakness.

It's just a matter of whether his body (specifically his knees) can take the grind of an NBA season at his size. He's an athletic freak, so it may not be an issue.
At 6'7" he's undersized at the 4, especially with the number of athletic 7-footers rim protecting in the league. He may make an all-star team or 2 in his career, but I don't see him being this generational MVP caliber talent. I've been wrong before, and I certainly could be again, but guys who are undersized at their positions in the NBA scare me off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT