ADVERTISEMENT

“I have to say this, and I’m probably going to stir up some folks,”

Jan 2, 2020
Dawn Staley said last week in an interview on SportsCenter. “We ended the season as the number one team in the country with the best record in the country, the only team that won their regular season and conference tournament undefeated. I think if they’re going to pass out a national championship trophy, we’ve got our hands out at South Carolina.”

The Lady knows of what she speaks. Tell 'em like it is, Dawn!

I would refrain from going all UCF and proclaiming an NC, but they should come up with some banner and give those players rings for an undefeated SEC season and final ranked #1.
This isn't like UCF who finished undefeated and there was a consensus national champion that wasn't them. This is the NCAA refusing to name a champion and we are the consensus number 1. It makes world more sense than the silliness at UCF.

I would refrain from going all UCF and proclaiming an NC, but they should come up with some banner and give those players rings for an undefeated SEC season and final ranked #1.
Not the same thing at all. No one outside of UCF really thought of them as national title contenders. Anyone who is knowledgeable and honest with themselves considers USC women to be the favorite.

This isn't like UCF who finished undefeated and there was a consensus national champion that wasn't them. This is the NCAA refusing to name a champion and we are the consensus number 1. It makes world more sense than the silliness at UCF.

You are correct. Why would anyone compare our WBB program to UCF football program? We just won the NCAA tournament a couple of years ago. Plus, we beat the #3, 4 & 5 teams in the regular season.

Reactions: SCcocks4ever
The Oregon women’s coach was quoted on an ESPN article ( no surprise) that they had the strongest resume. ESPN didn’t dispute the claim. I’d like to see a comparison of us and them. The PAC 12 had more ranked teams than the SEC, I believe.

Bill Self of Kansas expressed similiar feelings yesterday. I say go for it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...tional-title-no-1-kansas-great-bill-self-says

He's right when one considers the unprecedented circumstances. With regards to us, look at all the Top 10 teams we beat. The resume is there for us to get that title by poll numbers.

Kansas national championship banners don't say "NCAA" because the 1922 & 1923 are not recognized by the NCAA. So I could see them putting one up for this season. What's anyone going to do about it? Sue them? lol

b07015ad764086609551c569c393a1b2.jpg

Reactions: ReadR00ster
The Oregon women’s coach was quoted on an ESPN article ( no surprise) that they had the strongest resume. ESPN didn’t dispute the claim. I’d like to see a comparison of us and them. The PAC 12 had more ranked teams than the SEC, I believe.

Nah, the ranked teams are pretty much the same in either conf. And we only played one more ranked team (14) to their (13). But, we lost to ranked Indiana when they lost to unranked (at the time) Arizona St

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28917254/south-carolina-finishes-no-1-season-final-poll-first

Reactions: ForeUSC
They ranked teams aren't the same and neither are the resumes. Oregon didn't beat Baylor and they didn't beat Maryland. The didn't finish their conference undefeated and they last loss doesn't go all the way back until November. The same reason South Carolina has been #1 all these weeks and not Oregon.

I definitely think USC should use this past season to illustrate it as being part of the Dawn Staley Dynasty she has build and continues to build.

We are every bit the National Champions this year in WBB as clemsux was in 1981 in football. We finished #1 in the polls just like they did. They had no playoff then either.

You word that as if the NCAA is obligated to do that for a team. When has that ever been the case.

As everyone has stated above, we beat more ranked teams than they did. Against ranked opponents:

Top 3-ranked: USC is 3-0, Oregon is 1-0
Top 5-ranked: USC is 5-0, Oregon is 5-1
Top 25-ranked: USC is 12-1, Oregon is 11-2

Against Q1 (Top 50 RPI) opponents:
Top 10 Q1 RPI: USC is 5-0, Oregon is 4-1
Top 25 Q1 RPI: USC is 8-1, Oregon is 7-1
Top 30 Q1 RPI: USC is 13-1, Oregon is 10-1*
Top 50 Q1 RPI: USC is 12-1, Oregon is 11-2

* I did the top 30 because it goes from 10 to 25 (15 spots), then from 25 to 50 (25 spots). So an opponent just outside of the top 25 is a tougher opponent than one just inside the top 50. As it was, USC was 3-0 versus 31-50 RPI Q1 opponents, while Oregon was 1-1 with the loss to Arizona State. 24-8 20th ranked and #14 RPI Indiana was South Carolina's "bad" loss, while 20-11 25th-ranked and #40 RPI Arizona State was Oregon's "bad" loss.

But by pretty much every possible metric, USC is better than Oregon. And remember, when USC earned the #1 AP poll ranking, it was Baylor - not Oregon - who was the #1 in the Coach's Poll for a couple weeks, and Baylor was #2 above Oregon in the AP Poll. And while USC stayed #1 in the AP poll, BOTH Oregon AND Baylor would lose their 2nd games of the season. USC wouldn't lose another game.

How Oregon - or even Baylor for that matter - warrants even being considered as co-champions would be beyond my understanding. That would be a total laughingstock and outrage if it was CFB doing that, which didn't have an official "playoff" until recently. You don't overtake teams in the rankings by losing and them by winning....

They should take the top 4 ranked teams in women and men and let the play for the NC at their respective Final Four Location in a empty coliseum but televised.

Although I would say this, there would be a pretty big asterisk next to a national championship if it was "given" to one team. Yes, South Carolina is the #1 team at the end of the season, and it was unprecedented as an achievement, but if they won't give an opportunity for teams to play for the title, then I wouldn't want the championship. Yes hang a banner for the #1 ranking if they want to do that, but this isn't CFB....

Reactions: okccock
but if they won't give an opportunity for teams to play for the title, then I wouldn't want the championship.

With all due respect for your opinion, that sounds like you're flat out saying, 'The Regular Season Doesn't Mean Anything and Conference Tournaments Are Just Another Income
Stream'.

I'm sorry but, I find that unacceptable.

If anything, it's the Dog & Pony Show called the NCAA Tournament that should be eliminated, simply because it is nothing more than a Media Carnival, preying off of giving hope to the Hopeless.

Although I would say this, there would be a pretty big asterisk next to a national championship if it was "given" to one team. Yes, South Carolina is the #1 team at the end of the season, and it was unprecedented as an achievement, but if they won't give an opportunity for teams to play for the title, then I wouldn't want the championship. Yes hang a banner for the #1 ranking if they want to do that, but this isn't CFB....
I commend your efforts on trying to defend the Gamecocks and Dawn Staley on the other forum.

Last edited:
i wonder how many #1’s won the whole thing in the past 10 years. wayyy to lazy to look it up mysef.

This was the closest I could get to answering your question:
Top-ranked teams
Since the women's tournament began in 1982, 17 teams have entered the tournament ranked #1 in at least 1 poll and gone on to win the tournament:
  • 1982: Louisiana Tech
  • 1983: USC
  • 1986: Texas
  • 1989: Tennessee
  • 1995: Connecticut
  • 1998: Tennessee
  • 1999: Purdue
  • 2000: Connecticut
  • 2002: Connecticut
  • 2003: Connecticut
  • 2009: Connecticut
  • 2010: Connecticut
  • 2012: Baylor
  • 2014: Connecticut
  • 2015: Connecticut
  • 2016: Connecticut
  • 2019: Baylor
Just for interest, the Men's #1 results since 2007:
2007 1-seed Florida 1-seed Ohio State 84-75
2008 1-seed Kansas 1-seed Memphis 75-68
2009 1-seed UNC 2-seed Michigan State 89-72
2010 1-seed Duke 5-seed Butler 61-59
2012 1-seed Kentucky 2-seed Kansas 67-59
2013 1-seed Louisville 4-seed Michigan 82-76
2015 1-seed Duke 1-seed Wisconsin 68-63
2017 1-seed UNC 1-seed Gonzaga 71-65
2018 1-seed Villanova 3-seed Michigan 79-62

Last edited:
This was the closest I could get to answering your question:
Top-ranked teams
Since the women's tournament began in 1982, 17 teams have entered the tournament ranked #1 in at least 1 poll and gone on to win the tournament:
  • 1982: Louisiana Tech
  • 1983: USC
  • 1986: Texas
  • 1989: Tennessee
  • 1995: Connecticut
  • 1998: Tennessee
  • 1999: Purdue
  • 2000: Connecticut
  • 2002: Connecticut
  • 2003: Connecticut
  • 2009: Connecticut
  • 2010: Connecticut
  • 2012: Baylor
  • 2014: Connecticut
  • 2015: Connecticut
  • 2016: Connecticut
  • 2019: Baylor
Just for interest, the Men's #1 results since 2007:
2007 1-seed Florida 1-seed Ohio State 84-75
2008 1-seed Kansas 1-seed Memphis 75-68
2009 1-seed UNC 2-seed Michigan State 89-72
2010 1-seed Duke 5-seed Butler 61-59
2012 1-seed Kentucky 2-seed Kansas 67-59
2013 1-seed Louisville 4-seed Michigan 82-76
2015 1-seed Duke 1-seed Wisconsin 68-63
2017 1-seed UNC 1-seed Gonzaga 71-65
2018 1-seed Villanova 3-seed Michigan 79-62
thanks! so by the law of averages, we had a 60% chance to win the championship based on the previous ten years. i would love to be handed the trophy after year end results, but I honestly couldn’t justify it based on tournament results from prior years. the whole ucf thing i get because they didn’t get a fair shot, (would’ve been smoked in the playoffs). But bball is completely different when your talking about a tournament consisting of the best teams in the league getting hot at the right time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT