ADVERTISEMENT

1 run*

First base ump said hold my beer...
I let that POS have it! What a BS call! I was down the first base line from him and we all LOST IT! I even waited a few pitches til it quieted down some then let him have it again when I knew he could hear me. F that guy! Just wanted to have a say in something that mattered… Never seen such a bad call on an appeal before.

I let that POS have it! What a BS call! I was down the first base line from him and we all LOST IT! I even waited a few pitches til it quieted down some then let him have it again when I knew he could hear me. F that guy! Just wanted to have a say in something that mattered… Never seen such a bad call on an appeal before.

Just in case anyone is wondering why this one pissed everyone off… does that look like a swing to ANYONE?? His wrists look broken to you? The bat is not even parallel with his body! I saw that same blind POS waive off multiple swings tonight where the bat broke a full foot+ past the body of the batter. This is inexcusable.

Reactions: Lakecock1

Just in case anyone is wondering why this one pissed everyone off… does that look like a swing to ANYONE?? His wrists look broken to you? The bat is not even parallel with his body! I saw that same blind POS waive off multiple swings tonight where the bat broke a full foot+ past the body of the batter. This is inexcusable.

Worst I have EVER seen there TBH.

Without a doubt, he checked his swing in plenty of time. It was a very bad call.

Without a doubt, he checked his swing in plenty of time. It was a very bad call.

It was late, game started an hour late and Blue wanted to get their beauty sleep for Sunday's game.

Make no doubts about this ODU will win tonight against UVA... Blue doesn't want to face Carolina fans all day today and tomorrow...

Why isn't this this reviewable? Visual evidence would have easily confirmed he didn't swing.

Agree it was a bad call but I have coached and umpired. That's a tough call to make live. That said, if you are going to ring him up you better be certain that he swung.

Reactions: F-86F
Why isn't this this reviewable? Visual evidence would have easily confirmed he didn't swing.

Agree it was a bad call but I have coached and umpired. That's a tough call to make live. That said, if you are going to ring him up you better be certain that he swung.

Thus the problem.............many, and I mean many umps get their kicks making the ringing a guy up sign way (more so than calling someone safe). If you don't believe it, watch their emotion with the out call vs safe. I call it the Barney Fife effect. The guy last night knew he messed up, but it was too late, so he calls the same stupid check on an ODU batter later (when no one was on base and it didn't matter much). It was a "makeup" call. The dumbass doubled up on the same crappy call instead of learning from it.

I'm sorry, I can't remember any game changing calls in any sport that went our way (and I'm going back 40 years). I've seen us get favorable calls, but it's always something which is meaningless overall or a makeup call after a game was decided. Anyone remember the UF game at our place a few years ago?

I will say this, games move fast and not sure I could do any better but that's why I am a big proponent of replay (regardless of how long it takes). To make that call not reviewable by definition is comical. Not a worse feeling for a player than to have an obvious blown call decide the outcome. (And for all you dips that want to use the "score more runs" pious comments, that's what we were attempting to do. Calls like that stop scoring.....can't score a run if an ump is going to blow that call).

With all this, you could see Farr was tired, throwing the ball high (which means tired), and losing velocity. No, and I mean NO reason to trot him out there in the 8th. He did his job. Batters and coaches needed to reciprocate.

Thus the problem.............many, and I mean many umps get their kicks making the ringing a guy up sign way (more so than calling someone safe). If you don't believe it, watch their emotion with the out call vs safe. I call it the Barney Fife effect. The guy last night knew he messed up, but it was too late, so he calls the same stupid check on an ODU batter later (when no one was on base and it didn't matter much). It was a "makeup" call. The dumbass doubled up on the same crappy call instead of learning from it.

I'm sorry, I can't remember any game changing calls in any sport that went our way (and I'm going back 40 years). I've seen us get favorable calls, but it's always something which is meaningless overall or a makeup call after a game was decided. Anyone remember the UF game at our place a few years ago?

I will say this, games move fast and not sure I could do any better but that's why I am a big proponent of replay (regardless of how long it takes). To make that call not reviewable by definition is comical. Not a worse feeling for a player than to have an obvious blown call decide the outcome. (And for all you dips that want to use the "score more runs" pious comments, that's what we were attempting to do. Calls like that stop scoring.....can't score a run if an ump is going to blow that call).

With all this, you could see Farr was tired, throwing the ball high (which means tired), and losing velocity. No, and I mean NO reason to trot him out there in the 8th. He did his job. Batters and coaches needed to reciprocate.
Remember what happened just before "the hit" against Michigan? That was the worst call in the history of college sports. The ref just wanted UM to have a first down.

Of course, Clowney made up for it, but it was still a horrible call.

IMO, it's not mechanics or plate appearances that has allowed us to win games. If those were the deciding factors, we wouldnt win any. That's a damn shame.
No if we win today, it will be because we're seeing the ball well. If we find a way to do that, we will have a good day. See the pitch and more importantly, see contact. Too often we dont the latter.

Exactly- the call is already made as a ball. You appeal to see if the ump on first thinks the home plate ump missed something OBVIOUS. They should never ring up a called ball on even a boarder line situation. Inexcusable.

Remember what happened just before "the hit" against Michigan? That was the worst call in the history of college sports. The ref just wanted UM to have a first down.

Of course, Clowney made up for it, but it was still a horrible call.
Dang.....I totally forgot that one until you mentioned it. Just another example. But if our hitters don’t change their approach some we are in trouble. I remember thinking the past seven or eight years if we had a deep pitching staff to go with our power we can be tough. Now we have some decent pitching and are hitting his left.

Regardless of all my bitching, I still love my Gamecocks.

Reactions: cockofdawn

I recall very few big Pivotal calls that went our way in my lifetime. From the push off to a ref literally tackling Garcia as he ran to the end zone vs LSU… We always seem to get the shaft from the refs, in every sport.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Yea the damn refs hate us and are out to get us. They are the reason we have had such mediocre success in sports with the exception of our golden years in baseball.

IMO, it's not mechanics or plate appearances that has allowed us to win games. If those were the deciding factors, we wouldnt win any. That's a damn shame.
No if we win today, it will be because we're seeing the ball well. If we find a way to do that, we will have a good day. See the pitch and more importantly, see contact. Too often we dont the latter.
Still the hardest thing to do in all of sports. Even on a 3-0 pitch, the odds of making an out is well over 50%. Not you, but people on here act as though hitting is so easy....it is anything but. I honestly believe that many on here believe that hitting a ptich is as easy as completing a pass. I can promise that no one wants a hit more than the guy standing at the plate who is trying to figure out how the pitcher is going to pitch him. I remember getting behind in the pitch count and just tryig to make contact....not to get a hit, but simply to get foul balls while hoping that the pitcher would make a mistake and throw a bad ball that I wouldn't have to chase. It is DAMNED hard.

Geesh, I love this sport....a helluva better than football.

It's close. It's considered a strike if the barrel head of the bat crosses the front edge of home plate or the batter's front hip. From this angle, it looks like the head of the bat has crossed over the front edge of home plate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT