ADVERTISEMENT

107.5 circling wagons around Chad....

Kitchenlabs

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
May 20, 2000
Looks to me like they are trying to avoid taking calls criticizing the state of the baseball program. I even heard Jay say that most people are not upset about a bad year, just anonymous people on message boards. Huh?

lol, radio media types criticizing their competitor who is currently eating their lunch - internet media

SHOCKING

They is right. You don't see nearly as much negative talk about USC baseball on any other media sites.. Social or mainstream but the anonymous boards are 3/4 negative.

Go back and look at the negative posts calling for Holbrook to be fired on this site. The same 8-12 posters start every thread and then the other same 10 or so join in to support what ever the OP said. That gives the appearance that the numbers are greater than they are. You can pretty much tell which poster started the thread without even looking at who the OP is. It's funny because most of the same ones started the same threads in football and basketball. I attend every home baseball game and talk to a lot of different people, both that look at this site and those that don't. Everyone is disappointed the way the season has gone to date, but the number of fans calling for Holbrook's head is not as great as the 8-12 on here seem to think.

Originally posted by Kmart84:
Go back and look at the negative posts calling for Holbrook to be fired on this site. The same 8-12 posters start every thread and then the other same 10 or so join in to support what ever the OP said. That gives the appearance that the numbers are greater than they are. You can pretty much tell which poster started the thread without even looking at who the OP is. It's funny because most of the same ones started the same threads in football and basketball. I attend every home baseball game and talk to a lot of different people, both that look at this site and those that don't. Everyone is disappointed the way the season has gone to date, but the number of fans calling for Holbrook's head is not as great as the 8-12 on here seem to think.
Agree, the season sux but he is not going anywhere.

Originally posted by section907:
They is right. You don't see nearly as much negative talk about USC baseball on any other media sites.. Social or mainstream but the anonymous boards are 3/4 negative.
I was at the PC game. The attendance was horrible. There is also a negative contingent that just happens to be silent and isn't going to spend 4 hours on a Tuesday to watch us lose.

You'd be surprised how many people are frustrated with him. All the Carolina fans I work with and know aren't impressed with him. My dad, who's a '75 Carolina grad, knows a former BOT member who's not pleased with him. That being said, we all know he's not going anywhere anytime soon.
This post was edited on 4/16 3:15 PM by sclawman77

The loser culture that has been establish at USC over decades is not something that is going to die easily in most of our fans. Most are perfectly fine with "bad years" because that is what the know the best. It's sad.

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:
The loser culture that has been establish at USC over decades is not something that is going to die easily in most of our fans. Most are perfectly fine with "bad years" because that is what the know the best. It's sad.
You dont fire coaches in the middle of the season, you dont talk about firing coaches in the middle of the season if you are the AD. Nobody is fine with losing. geez

Originally posted by jeff2001:
You dont fire coaches in the middle of the season, you dont talk about firing coaches in the middle of the season if you are the AD. Nobody is fine with losing. geezYou are wrong about that. Plenty of people are. And there is only one AD. If the AD is not going to say what everyone is thinking, others will.

You dont fire coaches in the middle of the season, you dont talk about firing coaches in the middle of the season if you are the AD. Nobody is fine with losing. geez

You are wrong about that. Plenty of people are. And there is only one AD. If the AD is not going to say what everyone is thinking, others will.
Dude you know Tanner is not going to say something in public.

Sometimes the loud minority makes a little noise on forums. Problem for them, it doesn't go to far with the people in charge that have much more common sense.

Holbrook is here, he is not going anywhere, nor should he....

You are wrong about that. Plenty of people are. And there is only one AD. If the AD is not going to say what everyone is thinking, others will.
Dude you know Tanner is not going to say something in public.
So he is saying it privately? Lol. Well, he doesn't have to say it publicly because others surely will do it whether he likes it or not? And honestly, unless he going say that he is coming back to coach, I really don't care one bit what Tanner has to say.

Originally posted by bosoxcock:
Sometimes the loud minority makes a little noise on forums. Problem for them, it doesn't go to far with the people in charge that have much more common sense.

He was a bad, lazy hire in the first place and there isn't much hope for the guy. We should have hired someone with some prior success as a head coach.

Funny thing is is doesn't really matter what the few on here say or think. Thanks goodness for that!

Talk radio is still the media. The media has an agenda and if they are affiliated with a college athletic program, they will protect it. It's politics, pure and simple. Spin the truth and avoid any negativity.

You have Gamecock posters that continue to protect and defend the team and staff. You also have Gamecock posters that continue to criticize and insult the team and staff.

What I'm concerned about, are the well balanced fans that are in the middle. The fans that go to all of the games. Fans that might quit going to the games, if it looks hopeless. The lunch bucket REAL fans that don't spend time on message boards or listen to talk sports ad nauseam. I'm afraid that those fans are going to stop caring. Based on the fan attendance I'm hearing about, I'm not encouraged right now.

I say Tanner needs to assess the staff after the season I think at a minimum there will be changes with assistant coaches. This staff and team just hasn't handled adversity well. I do agree with 107.5 that Tanner will not let the program slide into the abyss.

Originally posted by cockydev:

Originally posted by section907:
I was at the PC game. The attendance was horrible. There is also a negative contingent that just happens to be silent and isn't going to spend 4 hours on a Tuesday to watch us lose.
I guess it was that 8-10 guys that were coming to games before this season. I mean, everyone else is totally okay with the season. The drop in attendance is a coincidence.

yeah. Every fan I know is pissed. Chad is safe for this year, but he's got a lot of work to do next season. You take over the best program in the country and start getting hammered in conference and make a habit of losing to little in state teams..danger.

en.Re: 107.5 circling wagons around Chad....

"bad, lazy hire...isn't much hope"

Wow!!, just wow!

Exactly how do you know this? I've been around Carolina athletics for quite and I DO NOT have a loser mentality. I've greatly enjoyed the success that the baseball team has had. I am one that also realizes that ALL programs have "one of those years" every now and then. LSU, won the title in 09, did NOT make the tourney 2 years later. They have the same coach and have been a top 5 team all season. Arizona, defeated us for the title in 2012, did NOT make the tourney the following year. Virginia, final four team on more than one occasion, this year currently projected as a 3 seed with a losing ACC record. No coaching changes.
While we have been a national program, our success has been due to a bit of luck also. This year, that luck isn't happening. It has been a poor year, one that NOBODY is happy with. Throwing Holbrook in the fire already is asinine though. The man has won 70% of his games coming into this season, 2 40+ win seasons. Again, ALL teams go through a year like this every so often. Now if next season is more of the same then all you nellies will have a reason to moan and groan. But, NO ONE on this board has seen enough of Holbrook as a head coach to make a judgement yet.

Some of you amaze me in calling for mid season firings. Exactly who do you expect to hire at that juncture? Who runs the team in the interim? The assistant coaches that are certain to be fired at the end of the season? I am sure they would be feeling real loyal about all this. Which coach? Any choice will create further division and paranoia. Having RT step in would not be a solution. It would scare potential successors that the AD is non supportive and over meddling. Those Calling for CH to be fired mid season are showing the judgement of a 5 year old throwing a temper tantrum in the grocery store. It feels good to yell and scream but you are doing NOTHING constructive to help the situation and you are still not getting that candy bar and probably getting spanked when you get home.

The role and task of the AD is to give every coach the resources and support they need to succeed. Would you want your boss to make public proclamations to your staff and customers that would sabotage you? When an AD decides to fire they want to do it in a manner that does the least damage to the program. That does not mean that an AD will not already be making discreet inquiries about possible replacements before the end of the season.

Originally posted by winloseortie:
Some of you amaze me in calling for mid season firings. Exactly who do you expect to hire at that juncture? Who runs the team in the interim? The assistant coaches that are certain to be fired at the end of the season? I am sure they would be feeling real loyal about all this. Which coach? Any choice will create further division and paranoia. Having RT step in would not be a solution. It would scare potential successors that the AD is non supportive and over meddling. Those Calling for CH to be fired mid season are showing the judgement of a 5 year old throwing a temper tantrum in the grocery store. It feels good to yell and scream but you are doing NOTHING constructive to help the situation and you are still not getting that candy bar and probably getting spanked when you get home.

The role and task of the AD is to give every coach the resources and support they need to succeed. Would you want your boss to make public proclamations to your staff and customers that would sabotage you? When an AD decides to fire they want to do it in a manner that does the least damage to the program. That does not mean that an AD will not already be making discreet inquiries about possible replacements before the end of the season.
Good post. I might also add that another important role of the AD is to engage in fundraising.

RT knew about CH's background when he hired him as "coach in waiting." Yes, it's hard to support the team right now, especially when they don't seem to be giving their best, but we do need to support them.

If y'all expect the radio guys to go on air and bash coaches who they have to interact with occasionally you are a raging hypocrite. How many of you would talk freely and openly about coworkers you think suck if you knew they were listening?

Originally posted by winloseortie:

THIS!

Nicely stated.

Originally posted by bosoxcock:

We'll see if you're saying that a year from now. If the majority are all on board, why were there 500 Carolina fans at the ballpark tonight in the SEC game of the week matchup? It's pretty obvious who the minority is if you ask me and I'm sure the powers that be are fully aware. Holbrook will definitely be back next year but you're kidding yourself if this type of baseball is fully accepted.

Haven't seen anyone state that this type od baseball is acceptable. Fully doubt it's acceptable to Holbrook. Bottom line, it's one of those years. We've had years where we did better than we should have. The opposite is happening this year.

The 107.5 team will be spinning like a ballerina tomorrow.

giphy.gif

Originally posted by raycock2001:
Haven't seen anyone state that this type od baseball is acceptable. Fully doubt it's acceptable to Holbrook. Bottom line, it's one of those years. We've had years where we did better than we should have. The opposite is happening this year.
Saying that the administration is fully behind Holbrook and he has 100% support except for the fans on this board that are frustrated sounds like the current state of this baseball program is acceptable to the "majority".

This post was edited on 4/16 10:50 PM by sclawman77

sports media folks love being buddies with the sports celebrities they cover- interferes with their ability to cover them without bias- see the same thing with political media up here in DC- reporters get too star struck with the lawmaker "celebrities" and can't accurately hold them accountable. that leads to bad government and - in this case- bad sports teams. One scenario more tragic than the other.
Don't know enough about media history but I wonder what happened post-Watergate to turn media folks into fawning fans of the people they are supposed to cover- must be tied to the rise of celebrity culture- if you can't be one some must think the next best thing is to be around one- and having a press pass is an easy way to get close to one.

As the ole sayin goes, the proof in in the pudding. If you don't think things are seriously bad, look at the stands.

Originally posted by Kitchenlabs:
Looks to me like they are trying to avoid taking calls criticizing the state of the baseball program. I even heard Jay say that most people are not upset about a bad year, just anonymous people on message boards. Huh?
They obviously don't listen to the "geniuses" on this message board and others. If they did they would already know there's no need to "circle the wagons" as Tanner doesn't have the balls to fire his bestest friend ever in the whole wide world.

Right?

I thought these message boards mattered so much that it was swaying recruits away from us...

Why... Our very words on here made all those football players get hurt feelings and decommit.

Good to know what we say doesn't matter to anyone.
Originally posted by GamecockWarrior:
Originally posted by Kitchenlabs:
They obviously don't listen to the "geniuses" on this message board and others. If they did they would already know there's no need to "circle the wagons" as Tanner doesn't have the balls to fire his bestest friend ever in the whole wide world.

Right?

Nailed it guys.

5va6eg.jpg

107.5 not where you want to go to listen to people that are objective. Nice guys- yes. Objective? Not close. They are too close to some of the coaches to be objective. They are going to defend until the end. Heck, they did it with Horn and that is all you need to know.

Of course a message board where fans are posting isn't the place to go to read objective opinions either.

Originally posted by Rollerdude123:
107.5 not where you want to go to listen to people that are objective. Nice guys- yes. Objective? Not close. They are too close to some of the coaches to be objective. They are going to defend until the end. Heck, they did it with Horn and that is all you need to know.

Of course a message board where fans are posting isn't the place to go to read objective opinions either.
1075 is not a student station run by the University, although it sounds like it much of the time. They have the right to be objective and critical while still being fair. If they sound like a lapdog that's by choice not by obligation.
It's the same station that spent four years praising Darrin Horn.

That said, Holbrook has already been to a SuperRegional and a Regional. He deserves more time.

Originally posted by Garnet Man:

Nailed it guys.
Here's the funny part. If Holbrook gets the ax next year, you're the same crowd that'll call him a lousy coach and say the next coach has until doomsday to turn things around.

When people on this board said Ward should be fired or demoted and someone else was needed take over the defense, you called them idiots, complainers, negative posters, etc. Then it happens. Well, shucks, of course it did. It was about time!

And when Horn was taking that program off the cliff, you were saying the same thing. "He's forgotten more about basketball than you idiots..." And now that Frank is the coach, he can win 5-6 in conference to infinity because you say Horn left the program in ruins.

Seriously, if you were one of the people I just referenced, you should abandon FGF out of shame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT