ADVERTISEMENT

.156, .176, .186 and .217

nursegirl25

Aug 29, 2005
We can call out the pitching (especially relief) but when your outfielders who are seeing significant playing time ( I realize Hopkins and Noah are out) are hitting the above numbers----you aren't winning many games. Sure, stats can be used lots of ways but generally in baseball good teams get production from 2 of the 3 OF spots at least.....I have to think our starting pitchers feel like they have to be near perfect to win....Not a lot of help with the bats.

Been saying it all season.. You win series with a bunch of .200 hitters..

As you noted when you're a mediocre team and your 3 best hitters have been out, what do you expect? (And don't say "win anyway"... there's no depth on this team to "win anyway"). I just hope they can get everybody back and get productive before the season is over.

Yeah, it's easy to say " win anyway" when Christian Walker is on first, Roth is on the mound, and Wingo is on 2nd.

as you know from our discussions last spring, this is the reason I wanted Holbrook fired so bad... Anyone following the program knew this would be a very challenging year... The injuries made it more difficult for Kingston to effect swift improvements

We have had 6 (six) different starters at first base it's become like a sandlot pickup game. It's all about hitting and pitching but you have to have a good solid starting lineup for a team to mature. Injuries have put 3rd baseman at 2nd base, catchers at 3rd base and practice players in the game.

It’s especially troubling when you see, Clemsux, Duke, and N.C. State all in the top 12. Not to mention UNC beating the crap out of us the last three years. Obviously these schools benefited from our shitty situation. Much like other schools would say about us in football

We can call out the pitching (especially relief) but when your outfielders who are seeing significant playing time ( I realize Hopkins and Noah are out) are hitting the above numbers----you aren't winning many games. Sure, stats can be used lots of ways but generally in baseball good teams get production from 2 of the 3 OF spots at least.....I have to think our starting pitchers feel like they have to be near perfect to win....Not a lot of help with the bats.

old chinese proverb: "hits don't win ball games, runs do".

Reactions: lawcalcock
I understand injuries are a part of the game, but ours are absolutely lineup killers. We're missing numbers 1-3 in the lineup with guys that have basically been ineffective. Teams like Florida would even struggle with this scenario and it's no more than a case of bad luck.

Hopkins and Campbell are also our best two base runners with Hopkins leading the SEC in steals at the time.

The lineup should look like this with batting averages and on base percentage.

Campbell. .289 .404
Hopkins. .314 .462
Stokes. .383 .526
Bride. .333 .446
Tolbert. .325 .428
Row. .328 .377
Cortez. .217 .351
Williams. .273 .351
Taylor. .250 .326

Overall that's a .301 ba with .408 obp. That's a pretty good lineup. Replacing Stokes, Hopkins, and Campbell with the likes of Hogan, Blair, Olsen and Jacobsen(with all due respect) is a huge drop off.

With Olsen, Hogan, and Cullen replacing those guys as we saw Sunday, the batting average drops to .261 with a .355 obp.

The injuries have made all the difference in the world between a potentially dangerous lineup and a lineup that struggles to score runs.

It may sound like an excuse but when you are missing three guys that are hitting .383, .314 and .289 out of the lineup that is a big, big deal especially on a pretty average team. And you have to believe that at some point Cortes will snap out of this slump and start knocking the walls down.
I think Morris is starting to establish himself as an elite starter and if we can get everybody healthy at the same time we can make some noise in our last 25 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT