ADVERTISEMENT

1st time in 6 years that we've been out of Baseball America poll

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:

Originally posted by sclawman77:

^
Yep, but the regression (inconsistent hitting, bullpen breakdown) is all about statistical trends-it has nothing to do with Chad.
ohwell.r191677.gif
We had 56 wins and like 25 SEC wins in 2000-Ray's 4th year at Carolina (since everyone wants to compare Chad to Ray). Chad has a long way to go to get there. We lose Martin, Caldwell and Schrock next year.
Nothing to do with chad? Inconsistency is to blame, but the coach is not be blamed for such inconsistency that is getting worse every second he is the coach? No one is trying to compare Holbrook to Tanner that just want a coach that can keep a team with championship pedigree from sinking and that is exactly what is happening. Anyone who can't see that needs to get their head out of the sand. The reason why we are not in the poll is because this team has not played like a top 25 team all year. We should have lost our ranking weaks ago.

This post was edited on 4/7 5:19 PM by ReadR00ster
It was sarcasm-hence the emoticon.

Originally posted by Kmart84:
If all it took was to have an experienced head coach to not have a team go into a slump and lose some close games then;

Texas the most successful program in college baseball and a CWS team last week year, with one of the most experienced and best coaches in college wouldn't be on a 7 game losing streak and have a 17-15 record.

The Virginia team with a head coach there since 2004 and last years CWS runner-up wouldn't be 6-9 in the ACC and 19-12 overall with midweek loses to VMI, Old Dominion and Georgetown. All of which have losing records in their own conferences

Florida wouldn't be 6-6 in the SEC, same as us.
If Tanner was coaching this team, I would gladly give him that excuse because he's already led us to the top. Holbrook has not as manager.

This post was edited on 4/7 8:27 PM by sclawman77

Yes the hot Maryland team hadnt been in the ncaa playoffs since the early 70's and they completely embarrassed us at home!

It's amazing how smart Tanner became after winning two championships. But, what everyone seems to forget is after a CWS runner-up finish in 2002 and appearances at the CWS in 03 and 04 Tanner followed that three year run with the following by year;

05 - 16-14 SEC 3rd(EAST), Lost in a regional to GA Tech

06 - 15-15 SEC 4TH(EAST), Lost in a super to Ga.

07 - 17-13 SEC 2nd(EAST), Lost in a super to UNC

08 - 15-15 SEC 5th(EAST), Lost in a regional to NC St

09 - 17-13 SEC 2ND(EAST), Lost in a regional to East Carolina

During that 5 year time period a Tanner coached team finished a total of 10 games over .500 in the SEC and hosted exactly ONE regional. So don't say a Tanner coached team would never have experienced a mediocre season. Ray Tanner understands better than anyone the cycles that college programs can experience. I bet during that time some of you were declaring the demise of the program and that Tanner must be fired, that the program will never get back to the CWS.

Originally posted by cock 69:
Yes, but June's last two years he had an excuse...Hutton was gone and June was on the golf course many times when the team was practicing. ..ask Marcum. But Holbrook and staff are actually working...as I said, we will see how the coach, no head coaching experience, in waiting works out....
BS. Raines rode the program down for 20 years until it was below ground. No excuses.

It's amazing how smart Tanner became after winning two championships. But, what everyone seems to forget is after a CWS runner-up finish in 2002 and appearances at the CWS in 03 and 04 Tanner followed that three year run with the following by year;

During that 5 year time period a Tanner coached team finished a total of 10 games over .500 in the SEC and hosted exactly ONE regional. So don't say a Tanner coached team would never have experienced a mediocre season. Ray Tanner understands better than anyone the cycles that college programs can experience. I bet during that time some of you were declaring the demise of the program and that Tanner must be fired, that the program will never get back to the CWS.

I followed all of Tanner's teams and am fully aware of our Omaha "skid" between 2005 and 2009. I know for a fact I was not calling for his head and I highly doubt anyone on this board was either so please stop creating things. He'd already proven he could get us to Omaha-national title game in 2002 and one game away from the title series in 2004. Once again, Ray had already proven he could get us to Omaha as a manager-Chad so far has not. Since you want to compare the two, let's see if Chad can get us to the NCAA tournament as the #1 seed next year like Ray did in his 4th season. I know we lost to UL-Lafayette in the supers at home that year but that team paved the way for the future as the 2001 team (who was a run away from Omaha) and of course the 2002-2004 Omaha teams.
This post was edited on 4/8 9:40 AM by sclawman77

Originally posted by sclawman77:

I followed all of Tanner's teams and am fully aware of our Omaha "skid" between 2005 and 2009. I know for a fact I was not calling for his head and I highly doubt anyone on this board was either so please stop creating things. He'd already proven he could get us to Omaha-national title game in 2002 and one game away from the title series in 2004. Once again, Ray had already proven he could get us to Omaha as a manager-Chad so far has not. Since you want to compare the two, let's see if Chad can get us to the NCAA tournament as the #1 seed next year like Ray did in his 4th season. I know we lost to UL-Lafayette in the supers at home that year but that team paved the way for the future as the 2001 team (who was a run away from Omaha) and of course the 2002-2004 Omaha teams.

This post was edited on 4/8 9:40 AM by sclawman77
People most definitely were calling for his head and Calvi' head, especially after the way 2009 ended and the way 2010 started. I still say that memories of how 2009 ended and 2010 started are clouded by how 2010 ended.

77, you may not have been calling for Tanner's head, but others were. Tanner even knew he had a short time to produce at least a trip to the CWS after Carolina Stadium was built. The slip that occurred during those five years was no different than what is going on now. College baseball goes in cycles, we have been to the CWS a total of 11 times, but some of you act like we have been every year the event has taken place and it is a given that we go every year. Chad and the team know the expectations are to make Omaha, however, only 8 teams make it every year. To say the program slipped last year because we lost a home regional when 1/3 of the lineup was injured for most of the year shows how ignorant some fans can be.

^
Maybe so though I don't recall it. The people calling for Tanner's head in '09 were a very small minority then and probably aren't even worth mentioning. We just opened our new baseball stadium in '09 that Ray had fought so hard for. He wasn't going anywhere and still had full support from a large majority of the fanbase. Yeah, the expectations are to make it to Omaha (though it obviously doesn't happen) but the way this is playing right now we'll be fortunate just to get an invitation to the NCAA tournament to a road regional. If that's not a major step backwards, then tell me what is. And next year we lose Martin, Caldwell and Schrock so things won't be any easier.

This post was edited on 4/10 10:00 PM by sclawman77

REALITY CHECK:

Baseball, WBB, MBB, and all other sports are just "fill-in" time between football seasons. Most of those are "bandwagon" fanswhen teams are winning.

If baseball is great (ala CWS years), 8000 people go to game.
WBB was close to NC and had 10,000.

Take the wins out of those sports and look at attendance. 4000-5000 in baseball and maybe 1000 for WBB.

Football is KING. 0-11 and 80,000 still go for the atmosphere. You can't do that in ANY OTHER SPORT PERIOD!

So that's the reality.

One week later:

Chad:

15 - 6-9 SEC T4 (EAST) T8 overall 1G out of LAST; 6-12 since KY; 0-4 streak, regional not likely

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT