ADVERTISEMENT

2 More Bowls Cancelled

If any time in the future folks around the world wonder how the United States of America, supposedly the wealthiest country in the history of the world, could have the worst outbreak of this virus on the entire planet, they should just read this thread for insight.
Outbreak of the super cold. The more you test, the more positives you find. This actually could bring the herd immunity on despite previous actions.

Some of this is convenience. TAMU for instance. Yea, they had a few positive Covid tests, but those would probably have been cleared by game time. Bigger issue with then was the transfer portal impacting the roster and Jimbo didn't want to go play with an incomplete team. But suddenly, everybody jumped on the bandwagon and decided that college needed to officially be pro football. At this point, with folks getting a scholarship, NIL money, and were already getting a stipend, that it is time for college players to sign contracts just like guys in the NFL. You play through the end of the season. No matter what insignificant bowl you may be in. If you decide to opt out, transfer out, or not play in bowl game to train for NFL, fine. But then you have to pay back all of your scholarship, NIL, and stipend money. It's just business.
NIL endorsements cannot be “pay for play;” tying them to a season or bowl appearance would change them significantly.

Although I agree with most of your comment, I believe it begins with recruiting the right player(s). Like many programs across college football, USC hasn’t had the luxury of passing on a character issue 4⭐️ player because they were a bad fit.

But the opt out issues resolve themselves if we recruit the right players for the culture of our FB team. We can’t just be about chasing stars for the sake of having a highly rated recruiting class. Having coaches that can actually evaluate and identify talent and then develop players is the solution.

You're putting most of the burden on the players, however the yearly coaching carousel has a big impact on the bowl system as well. There are several teams (Nevada which on TV as I write this) is one of teams impacted, the HC leaves takes some assistants with him leaving a short handed staff and putting them in a almost impossible situation.
Which brings up the contracts you mention, and 2 points I would like to make.
1. College coaches all have contracts with their university and as we know, there is more than a fair amount of movement every year. It is not the detriment as some would hope/believe.
2. Having a player sign a contract with a school is a situation that should try to be avoided. Should a player sign a contract, that now makes them a employee of the school (too many pitfalls to mention) . If anyone thinks we have an uphill climb dealing with the likes of Bama, UGA, UF, Texas, Oklahoma with deep pockets, does anyone really beleive we could match paying for athletes to come and more importantly stay here ?
ABSOLUTELY we can!...we are all SEC & we certainly have just as much $$$, if not more...we just need to be willing to SPEND it!!...RMO III

Last year was just a bit different. We had just fired one of the worst coaches we've ever had and just hired a new coach. It was less about covid and more about the circumstances, which is what we're seeing this year.
Is it really? We've already seen several bowls get canceled due to covid alone. Yeah, I can maybe see the Muschamp factor. The only place I see as a real difference is that last year's team hadn't earned a bowl game. And everyone knew it.

• Love
Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
The more teams that cant qualify for a bowl, the more important the bowls become imo. About the time we went to 12 games but kept qualifying at 6... well the esteem of it all just doesnt seem the same. I wouldnt doubt that that whole vibe extends to the players as well.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
I'm somewhat baffled by so many on here truly upset about some of these bowl cancellations. There have been many posters (and you know who you are ) that have 1) complained of too many bowls 2) State they don't even watch any before Christmas Day 3) Unless it's the CFP or we are in the bowl most likely will not watch.

Now some minor bowls have been cancelled or some teams have opted out and now they are all up in arms about some bowls they normally would have no interest in.
Not asking for much here, just be consistent.

I'm somewhat baffled by so many on here truly upset about some of these bowl cancellations. There have been many posters (and you know who you are ) that have 1) complained of too many bowls 2) State they don't even watch any before Christmas Day 3) Unless it's the CFP or we are in the bowl most likely will not watch.

Now some minor bowls have been cancelled or some teams have opted out and now they are all up in arms about some bowls they normally would have no interest in.

I fall into both categories here. I certainly haven’t been too upset over any of the bowls being canceled so far. It would’ve sucked had the Gator Bowl been canceled because of its history. The rest of them? Nah.

Some of this is convenience. TAMU for instance. Yea, they had a few positive Covid tests, but those would probably have been cleared by game time. Bigger issue with then was the transfer portal impacting the roster and Jimbo didn't want to go play with an incomplete team. But suddenly, everybody jumped on the bandwagon and decided that college needed to officially be pro football. At this point, with folks getting a scholarship, NIL money, and were already getting a stipend, that it is time for college players to sign contracts just like guys in the NFL. You play through the end of the season. No matter what insignificant bowl you may be in. If you decide to opt out, transfer out, or not play in bowl game to train for NFL, fine. But then you have to pay back all of your scholarship, NIL, and stipend money. It's just business.
Interesting regarding the NFL....I believe they said the Chiefs played yesterday down 20 players (for one reason or another) and their HC....and they still won.

I don't think anyone is really upset about the cancellations. The only ones that I could see having any real issues would be those that were traveling to watch the cancelled games. Why some would feign outrage I have no idea.

Post of the year. "It's just business"....."they're businessmen"...."they're their own brand"... smdh. 95% Odds due to age and lack of experience that they don't know how to file a simple 1040 or balance the use of a Credit Card but they're "bidness men".

NIL endorsements cannot be “pay for play;” tying them to a season or bowl appearance would change them significantly.

Although I agree with most of your comment, I believe it begins with recruiting the right player(s). Like many programs across college football, USC hasn’t had the luxury of passing on a character issue 4⭐️ player because they were a bad fit.

But the opt out issues resolve themselves if we recruit the right players for the culture of our FB team. We can’t just be about chasing stars for the sake of having a highly rated recruiting class. Having coaches that can actually evaluate and identify talent and then develop players is the solution.
In theory...sure. Clemson has had a remarkable run at doing what you're suggesting. BUT....even with a setup that looked bullet proof....the NIL and transfer portal is poking tommy gun quantity holes in even the best program setups for recruiting.
I wish there was a solution....but as evidenced from every program that I know about outside of Alabama....this transfer portal and NIL is giving reasons for kids to jump at a moment's notice if the water pressure in the showers isn't considered adequate by his standards.

We might be next on dropping out. Supposedly we are dangerously close to the limit. And again I'm not sure how true it is...for kawasaki, tncock, and whoever else wants to ride today lol
Listened to Tony Morrell on Tater Radio this morning. That was his take as well, we're very close to not having the numbers. They're testing today. We should know by tomorrow if it's happening or not.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
This may be one of the few items you and I agree on.

I guess next will be hoopsters opting out of the NIT.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Listened to Tony Morrell on Tater Radio this morning. That was his take as well, we're very close to not having the numbers. They're testing today. We should know by tomorrow if it's happening or not.
I saw us out at the Charlotte motor speedway and tons of folks no mask, etc. Seemed pretty careless to be there in the first place. That's something you can do after the bowl game. Unnecessary risk imo...masks or no masks, vaccine or no vaccine. Even if you disagree with the protocol you know it beforehand.

I saw us out at the Charlotte motor speedway and tons of folks no mask, etc. Seemed pretty careless to be there in the first place. That's something you can do after the bowl game. Unnecessary risk imo...masks or no masks, vaccine or no vaccine. Even if you disagree with the protocol you know it beforehand.
Agree. The protocol is known, so work around it. That being said, I don't know what that would look like. Some kind of team "bubble" for a period of time leading up to it? Just bad timing though when you assume some guys went home for Christmas, even if it's for a day, which is totally understandable wanting to be with family.

You're putting most of the burden on the players, however the yearly coaching carousel has a big impact on the bowl system as well. There are several teams (Nevada which is on TV as I write this) is one of teams impacted, the HC leaves takes some assistants with him leaving a short handed staff and putting them in a almost impossible situation.
Which brings up the contracts you mention, and 2 points I would like to make.
1. College coaches all have contracts with their university and as we know, there is more than a fair amount of movement every year. It is not the detriment as some would hope/believe.
2. Having a player sign a contract with a school is a situation that should try to be avoided. Should a player sign a contract, that now makes them a employee of the school (too many pitfalls to mention) . If anyone thinks we have an uphill climb dealing with the likes of Bama, UGA, UF, Texas, Oklahoma with deep pockets, does anyone really beleive we could match paying for athletes to come and more importantly stay here ?
Isn't signing a National Letter of Intent a contract (albeit different than what you are stating)?

So does everyone get tested if one player tests positive? Or are we testing only players showing symptoms?

Isn't signing a National Letter of Intent a contract (albeit different than what you are stating)?
Most NLI's are that are signed states that the student agrees to attend the institution for one year
in exchange for the institution promise in writing to provide athletics financial aid for the entire academic year.
Bowl games are played after the academic year.
It's quite the imperfect system and I don't pretend to know all the legalities, but just from observations, it does not appear the schools have a way to stop the opting out that we are seeing, in addition per NCAA rules once an athlete declares for the draft he is ineligible.

Reactions: rogue cock
Most NLI's are that are signed states that the student agrees to attend the institution for one year
in exchange for the institution promise in writing to provide athletics financial aid for the entire academic year.
Bowl games are played after the academic year.
It's quite the imperfect system and I don't pretend to know all the legalities, but just from observations, it does not appear the schools have a way to stop the opting out that we are seeing, in addition per NCAA rules once an athlete declares for the draft he is ineligible.
Don't the bowls take place halfway through the academic year?

A tidbit which bears repeating is that while you are correct re: NLI and the one year period, Bobby Dodd felt that barring egregious behaviour on the student's part, the honourable thing was to provide athletics financial aid for all four years. If the student turned out to be not so great on the court or gridiron, that's the fault of the school/coach for not doing a better job of evaluating the prospect.

I think everyone is tested that isnt vaccinated which is faulty logic but it is what it is.
Honestly, that's the only reason that my son got the vaccination. At his school, it's either get the vaccine and not be tested, or not get the vaccine and be tested 3 times per week. He still ended up getting Covid.

Honestly, that's the only reason that my son got the vaccination. At his school, it's either get the vaccine and not be tested, or not get the vaccine and be tested 3 times per week. He still ended up getting Covid.
The thinking is that with a vaccination, either you won't get sick or won't get as sick as you would if you were not vaccinated.

The thinking is that with a vaccination, either you won't get sick or won't get as sick as you would if you were not vaccinated.
Understand.

IMHO, it's still faulty logic (and I would say even more dangerous) in that you could not be aware that you even have it, yet pass it on to others. But at this point, I've resigned myself to the fact that things just are the way they are, I'm not going to be able to change it. I just control what I can control, and leave everyone else be.

Now UCLA drops out hours before kickoff. I doubt we have a championship game. The NCAA should have followed the bubble model or just scrapped all the bowls or relaxed protocol.

Reactions: chief2791
Now UCLA drops out hours before kickoff. I doubt we have a championship game. The NCAA should have followed the bubble model or just scrapped all the bowls or relaxed protocol.

The bowls are just private exhibitions - outside the NCAA purview.

I do think the CFP teams pretty much self-bubbled since they actually have something to lose by not playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT