ADVERTISEMENT

2019 QB Group w/ Recruit Analysis

M

Matt OBrien

Good afternoon Gamecock fans -

Each year, I add some thoughts/analysis on the Gamecock football commits. This year, I thought I'd change it up a bit and add in how I believe each commit will impact their respective position, in addition to sharing some analysis on them.

--------------------------
First up, is the Quarterback position:

I have to start off this group discussion with Jake Bentley, as the 2019 Gamecocks will still be his team. Although Bentley struggled at times this past season, he has shown the ability to be a top-tier quarterback - look no further than his 2018 performance against Clemson. It's frustrating as fans to see an experienced QB like Bentley continue to make the same mistakes and come out flat, or downright bad, in some games. However, right now, Bentley should be penciled in as starter as he gives the team the best chance to win in game 1.

Could the incoming Ryan Hillinski beat out Bentley in year one? Never say never. Hilinski is as highly-touted of a QB prospect that has ever come to Columbia, which means that South Carolina coaches will likely be asked about his depth chart standing early and often. If Bentley goes on a streak of average or below-average games, and the team is losing, I expect there to be some pressure to put Hilinski in. See recruit analysis on Hilinski below.

So, where does that leave RS Freshman Dakereon Joyner? This is Bentley's team and all eyes will be on the incoming Hilinski in the spring. However, there is one advantage that Joyner has over the other two - his running ability. Bentley and Hilinski have similar profiles in terms of style of play, so while Hilinski could be the #2 QB heading into the season, Joyner could be featured in game plans each week as a change-of-pace QB or Wildcat option. Joyner is a true dual-threat and his passing game shouldn't be overlooked either, as he throws a nice deep ball and is a weapon on designed roll-outs.

The number four guy is Jay Urich. I don't see Urich competing for the QB spot in 2019, but I do believe he could make an impact in other areas. I've seen quarterbacks switch to WR, TE, and even defense in some cases, and believe Urich has the athleticism and IQ to transition to another position or excel on special teams. I'd personally like to Urich gain another 20-30 pounds and see what he can do as a TE and potentially as a goal-line Wildcat.
------------------
Ryan Hilinski additional analysis:

Hilinski is similar in style of play to Jake Bentley, which is of course a compliment. Hilinski has good size, throws with zip, and has a nice knack for changing velocity and aim on throws depending on his receiver type (this area is an improvement over Bentley.) Hilinski also has the personality and intangibles needed to make for a quick college adjustment process.

My biggest concerns for Hilinski are with some things I saw on tape with his throwing mechanics. Hilinski throws the ball a little bit lower than ideal for his size, so he'll need to be more cognizant of defensive linemen's hands at the college level. Hilinski also spins the ball before he throws to his primary receiver (this is a timing technique some QBs have - Jake Fromm on UGA does it at times too). When he spins the ball, it serves as a pause for when he should begin his wind up to throw. This is a habit that can be corrected.

Hilinski is rated as a 5.9 four-star prospect by Rivals and I agree with this rating. I personally define a 5.9 four-star as: These are your all-conference players who show the potential to become early round draft picks. To me, the only thing keeping Hilinski from being rated higher is that he's not a dual-threat QB whom can extend plays outside of the pocket or be a consistent run threat.

EDIT after Hilinski's Rivals Bump: Hilinski got what many consider to be a well-deserved bump in the Rivals ratings, finishing as a 6.0 four-star and 45th overall in the country. I define this as 6.0 four-star: These are your all-Americans who show the potential to become early round draft picks. The real difference would be a guy leading the country and being in Heisman consideration, rather than all-conference and projected early take in the NFL.
----------------

So, what do you all think of the QB situation in 2019? Will Ryan Hillinski come in and challenge Bentley from day one? Does Dakereon Joyner see the field in certain packages?

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News