ADVERTISEMENT

2019 RB Group w/ Kevin Harris + Coach Brown Analysis

M

Matt OBrien

Each year, I add some thoughts/analysis on the Gamecock football commits. This year, I thought I'd change it up a bit and add in how I believe each commit will impact their respective position, in addition to sharing some analysis on them.
------------
QB Analysis here
------------
Running Back is my second group to review and I'll also be adding in some thoughts on the recent RB coaching hire, Thomas Brown.

As of right now, this group has six returning scholarship RBs - five of which have at least one 100-yd all purpose games under their belts - making this the deepest RB room I've seen at South Carolina in recent years. Still, this is one of the least imposing RB groups in the SEC, as a combination of injuries, inconsistencies, and lack of top-end talent leaves this group rotating in a different featured back each week.

I'm starting this group out with Mon Denson as I thought #34 was the best RB South Carolina had in 2018. Denson hits the hole better than any of his peers and runs hard every opportunity he gets. Denson may not be the most talented runner on the team, but he always steps up when the guys ahead of him go down.

Rico Dowdle is the team's most talented rusher, but he has struggled with injuries and has not yet fulfilled his potential. Dowdle rushed for over 100 yards in two SEC wins in Vandy and Tennessee, and that is probably a good indicator of what the team needs to do to win in tough conference contests. South Carolina needs #5 to step up in order make it through the gauntlet of a schedule in 2019.

Not too far behind Dowdle in terms of talent is Ty'Son Williams. South Carolina had high hopes for #27 from the moment he transferred from North Carolina and while we've seen Williams make highlight runs, hurdles, and scores, he just hasn't been able to do any of it consistently. This past season, Williams also suffered a hand injury and missed some big games down the stretch.

Rounding out the group of four rising seniors is the team's Mr. Do-it-all player - A.J. Turner. While Turner switched to defense for last couple of games, it's important to discuss him here since I sense that he could be used on both sides of the ball in 2019; especially since Turner was the team's best perimeter rusher from the RB position.
------------
Deshaun Fenwick impressed people around the program from the moment he stepped on campus; both from a physical standpoint and readiness to compete. A couple of years ago, a former SC teammate of mine, Matt Coffee, texted me after watching Fenwick play, saying that Fenwick was the truth and would be legit RB in the SEC. We got to see some of this hype come to live in the UT-Chattanooga game, where Fenwick rushed for over 100 yards and scored his first college TD.

The second RB in the 2018 class was Lavonte Valentine. This guy is flat-out fast and will easily be the Gamecocks fastest running back option in 2019. While Valentine has yet to showcase what he can do after recovering from injury & has to compete with a crowded RB group, I expect the coaches to incorporate his speed into the offense.
--------------
This leads us down to the newest addition to the Gamecocks RB group -2019 signee Kevin Harris. An under-the-radar guy, Harris won coaches over with an impressive 4.5 40-yd dash time in camp, validating that he could run away from tacklers at the SEC level. I don't expect Harris to climb ahead of everyone on the depth chart in year one, but he will at the very least provide more competition to the room. ** full analysis on Kevin Harris below **
------------
The Gamecocks also added in a RB Coach this offseason, bringing in Thomas Brown. Brown was a run college RB to watch at UGA, where he also served as a dangerous kick returner. (Check out Coach Brown's highlights here if you haven't seen) Brown has coached a few different spots; most notably the U of Miami, Wisconsin, and Georgia.

This was a critical hire in my opinion, as the Gamecocks have been missing a true coach at the RB position for the past few seasons. Brown brings his experience both a high-performance player in the SEC and as a coach to some of the best RBs in college football this decade; Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, and Sony Michel.

I don't expect Brown to coach up any of the current players to the levels of those players listed, but he will be able to teach the SC guys the subtle nuances of playing the position; patience behind the line, setting up blockers, maneuvering body position at contact for extra yards, etc.. These are things that can only be taught by someone who has either played at a high level or has been close to those that have, and Brown happens to check both of those boxes.

I expect the RB group, from personnel rotation to production, to be better in 2019 with the hiring of Coach Brown. Outstanding hire.
-------------
Kevin Harris additional analysis:

At 5'10" 230-pounds and running a 4.5 40-yd dash, Harris would be a tough stop for most second-level players at the college level. Harris has a nice burst once he gets the ball, which will help him break through arm tackles near the line of scrimmage. Harris finishes of his runs through contact and I expect him to be fun to watch in this regard at South Carolina.

Harris also shows the ability to catch the ball in contested situations, something that the Gamecocks have been missing from the RB position. The South Carolina coaches have been looking for a back who will hit the hole hard, fights through contact, and can withstand the physical wear and tear of SEC play. Harris seems to check all of those boxes.

Harris is rated as a 5.7 three-star Running Back in the 2019 class. I agree with this rating and feel that Harris could have a high-ceiling as a short yardage and goal-line runner. Harris doesn't seem to stand out in any one area, but I don't have any negatives on him - which means that I anticipate his transition to the college game to be smooth and quick.
-------------
So what do you think of the 2019 Gamecocks Running Back group?

Do you think all four of the rising senior RBs will come back to play for SC in 2019?

Do you expect any of the three Freshmen RBs (Fenwick, Valentine, Harris) to crack the rotation on a regular basis?

Do you think the Gamecocks should add-in another 2019 RB signee or a grad transfer RB?

Which RB do you think will benefit the most from having Coach Brown on staff?

Any additional thoughts or questions are welcomed, as well! Thank you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News