ADVERTISEMENT

23 years ago today

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
One of the best Carolina-Clemson games in the history of the rivalry, in the middle of a rather odd 7 year road winning streak. Taters struck first when Raymond Priester ran 65 yards(don't remember if he scored on the run or was tackled short of the endzone)we responded with Duce Staley scoring, it was 17-13 at halftime, we came out and scored 21 unanswered to go up on the taters 34-17, then they scored twice to cut it to 34-31, it came down to their kicker(can't remember his name) missing a last second field goal. 34-31 good guys. It was the 6th of what would be 7 years where the road team won. We had 2 backs go over 125 yards rushing(Staley and Troy Hambrick) and ran the ball down the throats of a Clemson program that at the time prided itself on power football and strong defense. I think we ran for more yards than them that night and wound up with over 300 yards on the ground(we had a reputation as a finesse team back then) haven't seen us run on Clemson like that before or since.

One of the best Carolina-Clemson games in the history of the rivalry, in the middle of a rather odd 7 year road winning streak. Taters struck first when Raymond Priester ran 65 yards(don't remember if he scored on the run or was tackled short of the endzone)we responded with Duce Staley scoring, it was 17-13 at halftime, we came out and scored 21 unanswered to go up on the taters 34-17, then they scored twice to cut it to 34-31, it came down to their kicker(can't remember his name) missing a last second field goal. 34-31 good guys. It was the 6th of what would be 7 years where the road team won. We had 2 backs go over 125 yards rushing(Staley and Troy Hambrick) and ran the ball down the throats of a Clemson program that at the time prided itself on power football and strong defense. I think we ran for more yards than them that night and wound up with over 300 yards on the ground(we had a reputation as a finesse team back then) haven't seen us run on Clemson like that before or since.

It was a fun night, & to think I felt the Bradstard had us on the correct path.

I was a student at USC visiting friends at Clemson for that game. We were actually sitting on that godforsaken hill. Along with Clemson's fast start, I remember them sacking A1 on 2 out of our first 3 offensive plays of the game. Their fans were roaring and I was thinking it was going to be a llooooonnnggg night. But Duce and Troy took over and the rest is history.

What was really funny though is that when their kicker missed the tying FG, they still fired their cannon like he'd made it and their fans were celebrating -- until they saw our players doing the same. :cool:

Matt Padgett was their kicker. He was a Lexington kid who played baseball for Clemson, too. I played in a poker game with his dad for years.

I was a student at USC visiting friends at Clemson for that game. We were actually sitting on that godforsaken hill. Along with Clemson's fast start, I remember them sacking A1 on 2 out of our first 3 offensive plays of the game. Their fans were roaring and I was thinking it was going to be a llooooonnnggg night. But Duce and Troy took over and the rest is history.

What was really funny though is that when their kicker missed the tying FG, they still fired their cannon like he'd made it and their fans were celebrating -- until they saw our players doing the same. :cool:
It never should have come down to that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT