ADVERTISEMENT

40 conference wins in 4 years

So make another thread to bash.

This is about accomplishing something that has not happened since Frank McGuire was coach and we were in the acc

To be fair, we played 14 conference games in the McGuire era versus 18 today. McGuire went 44-12 in conference our last four years in the ACC. Martin is sitting at 39-28 over the last four years.
Not bashing Martin, but getting to 40 or even 44 (winning out) isn't the same as what McGuire accomplished. Although he does have a Final Four appearance, something McGuire couldn't do.

Not bashing either, but it is like making a bowl game. If 6-6 gets you in a bowl game, then it truly is not an accomplishment. It is a participation prize. However, making a bowl game prior to the year 2000 was a nice accomplishment. It meant you probably won 8-9 games or more.

Frank has done a masterful job to turn around this team. I wish that turnaround would have been done in the off season, as the damage has been done in the first 10 games we played. The seniors needed a wake up call and the freshman needed minutes on the court to grow up and gel. But they are rolling now. Now we need to take the next step and beat a decently ranked team. No moral victory like a 12 point loss to Tenn or Kentucky. Win a big ones boys. We rolling.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
I’d say it would be more remarkable to average 10 conference wins in a season but only make the tournament once in that span. Not bashing at all...just amazing.

We got screwed in 2016. This year we screwed ourselves. Hopefully we can run the table and make the field. If we do that, you can look back at the last 4 years and see progress.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Not bashing either, but it is like making a bowl game. If 6-6 gets you in a bowl game, then it truly is not an accomplishment. It is a participation prize. However, making a bowl game prior to the year 2000 was a nice accomplishment. It meant you probably won 8-9 games or more.

Frank has done a masterful job to turn around this team. I wish that turnaround would have been done in the off season, as the damage has been done in the first 10 games we played. The seniors needed a wake up call and the freshman needed minutes on the court to grow up and gel. But they are rolling now. Now we need to take the next step and beat a decently ranked team. No moral victory like a 12 point loss to Tenn or Kentucky. Win a big ones boys. We rolling.

I agree 6-6 and going to a bowl game is not much of an accomplishment. That most likely means you are sub .500 in conference. This is not sub. 500 in conference. This is 10 games over .500 (conference) over the course of 4 years. I'm not saying "wow, we are so good" but I am saying this has not been done in a long time. I was at school during the end of Odom and ,well, you know who. So I'm pretty happy at our trajectory as a program. Yes it's very unfortunate our team lost those early season games but we are heading in the right direction as a program. IMO

I’d say it would be more remarkable to average 10 conference wins in a season but only make the tournament once in that span. Not bashing at all...just amazing.

We got screwed in 2016. This year we screwed ourselves. Hopefully we can run the table and make the field. If we do that, you can look back at the last 4 years and see progress.

Quirky for sure. Should've been a tourney team 2016, 2017, 2019.

Reactions: Carolina4
With one more victory the men's bb team will have 40 conference wins over 4 seasons

And Coach Martin has taken the program to 9 or more SEC wins in a season three times, something that no other head coach at USC has done.

It's like Muschamp being the first head coach of the FB program to win 21 games in his first 3 seasons, and take the program to 3 bowl games in those first 3 years. After the Belk Bowl result, not too many people are jumping up and down over it.

But it is a definite step in the right direction, if only a baby step. Hopefully both staffs are able to capitalize on the progress and continue to build their programs to accomplish even greater successes, and on a more consistent pace...

To be fair, we played 14 conference games in the McGuire era versus 18 today. McGuire went 44-12 in conference our last four years in the ACC. Martin is sitting at 39-28 over the last four years.
Not bashing Martin, but getting to 40 or even 44 (winning out) isn't the same as what McGuire accomplished. Although he does have a Final Four appearance, something McGuire couldn't do.
McGuire?

We're up to #83 in the NET rankings....highest weve been all year. If we can reel off another 5, 6, or 7 in a row I'd have to think we'd get in but that's a tall order. One game at a time though

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
We're up to #83 in the NET rankings....highest weve been all year. If we can reel off another 5, 6, or 7 in a row I'd have to think we'd get in but that's a tall order. One game at a time though

Up to #82, now. As big a win over Ole Miss was, our next game at Miss. State is an even bigger one. They have a higher RPI & NET than the Rebels did have. Beating them on the road will be a pretty tough task, but how we've been playing lately, we'll have a chance. Miss State plays UGA in Athens tonight....

Frank Martin is coaching his ass off and is making a case now of being the best coach ever at USC if he keeps doing what he is doing. Anyone bashing his accomplishments up to current day is a dam fool. He is building our program up well and i have never seen in 20 years a USC basketball team fight as hard and play as hard as these guys are playing now. That man deserves a raise for what he has accomplished here already. All of our coaches are doing well and getting better at USC. These boards are full of idiocy sometimes.

Were you guys more surprised we didn't make it in 2016 or that we were a 7th seed in 2017? I was shocked that we were a 7th seed...I was thinking a 9 or 10 seed. And I was equally shock that there was no invite in 2016

Honestly more surprised at the 7 seed and Greenville opening round, which honestly may have been a bit of a reparations for the snub in 2016. I'd say it was worth it ha.

Man.. Got me going down memory lane. If Sin wasn't sick I think we may have won it all. He was averaging 26/game going into Gonzaga and only went 4 for 10 for 15 that day.

I always wondered the same thing. Whether intentional or not, it created the perfect storm for us (well, for Duke).

What was hilarious was DUKE FANS complaining about us having a home court advantage (which was true for sure). But for Duke Basketball to complain about South Carolina Basketball having any sort of advantage is hilarious.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT