ADVERTISEMENT

5 Takeaways after Watching Kentucky...

BobbyB1975

Sep 9, 2018
1. They are a very talented team upfront . I feel In the past few years we simply got out coached and out hustled . Different team this year. DL and OL are very physical and talented
2. Snell and Josh Smith (#41) are as good as any RB and OLB in the country . They would start anywhere and be contributing.
3. Shut down Snell and the power run game and Kentucky is dead in the water . I would put 8 in the box and play press and make the QB and WR’s win . Last time I checked Randall Cobb plays for the Packers . They did hit some big plays down the field against UF but I would roll the dice .
4. If we can protect the QB and Jake doesn’t airmail every pass we should be able to crush them on the outside . None of their DBs have the speed or skill level to stop Deebo , Shi , or Edwards . Just gotta neutralize #41. Roll a TE or RB to his side every snap . There should never be a play in the game that he is 1-1 against anyone on our OL.
5. We can win but outside of UGA and CU Kentucky May be the most complete team we play this year . It will be a very tough game and if we get out of there with any kind of W it will be well earned . They are no fluke . Beating UF in the Swamp and Miss St, a VERY physical team , is no joke . Would not be exaggerating if I said next week may be the most pivotal game in Champs tenure so far .

Just my 2 cents

1. They are a very talented team upfront . I feel In the past few years we simply got out coached and out hustled . Different team this year. DL and OL are very physical and talented
2. Snell and Josh Smith (#41) are as good as any RB and OLB in the country . They would start anywhere and be contributing.
3. Shut down Snell and the power run game and Kentucky is dead in the water . I would put 8 in the box and play press and make the QB and WR’s win . Last time I checked Randall Cobb plays for the Packers . They did hit some big plays down the field against UF but I would roll the dice .
4. If we can protect the QB and Jake doesn’t airmail every pass we should be able to crush them on the outside . None of their DBs have the speed or skill level to stop Deebo , Shi , or Edwards . Just gotta neutralize #41. Roll a TE or RB to his side every snap . There should never be a play in the game that he is 1-1 against anyone on our OL.
5. We can win but outside of UGA and CU Kentucky May be the most complete team we play this year . It will be a very tough game and if we get out of there with any kind of W it will be well earned . They are no fluke . Beating UF in the Swamp and Miss St, a VERY physical team , is no joke . Would not be exaggerating if I said next week may be the most pivotal game in Champs tenure so far .

Just my 2 cents
KY's got a d_mned good football team. Can we win there? Yes. Will we? We'll certainly have to beat them in turnovers, BOTH LOS, and our DB's will have cover and tackle perfectly. Honestly, I don't think this team is "there" yet. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll certainly see.

JMHOFWIW

Reactions: Brace1
Stoops has them cashing in this year. Like us, they have recruiting limitations. But every few years, things line up through a few special players and upperclassmen along the lines. They cannot sustain this for several years though.
We recruit better than they do, so I expect at the least we have a good year every 3-4 where we seriously challenge for the East. If Stoops can do it we surely should be able to.

I agree with this. We can win, but they are better than any Kentucky team we have faced recently. Miss St isn't a joke, and they rolled them.

Yeah they did !!! Josh Smith looked like Khalil Mack out there last night . He was a wrecking crew all night long .

His name is josh Allen. Lol giving you a hard time can’t wait for y’all to come here. Expect a good game.

Good luck next week. Go cats

Just my 2 cents
I agree with all of that. On a less technical level, we need to FINISH drives. Ending great scoring opportunities with field goals and fumbles probably won't cut it against UK or other quality teams.

Just my 2 cents
[If you don't mind...]
6. If Kentucky can build a competitive SEC team in football, then certainly we should be able to.
7. If we win next week, it proves this rebuilding program is valid.
8. If we win next Saturday, we should win out in the SEC this season.

True but how many games in the rain have no fumbles?
25's fumble was bad. Way too easy to punch that out. 5's fumble was questionable, but no way to overturn that call when it happens in the pile like that... we got the benefit on one Deebo catch where they didn't review it.

Reactions: jonesz21
25's fumble was bad. Way too easy to punch that out. 5's fumble was questionable, but no way to overturn that call when it happens in the pile like that... we got the benefit on one Deebo catch where they didn't review it.
Playing fast helped for sure

KY's got a d_mned good football team. Can we win there? Yes. Will we? We'll certainly have to beat them in turnovers, BOTH LOS, and our DB's will have cover and tackle perfectly. Honestly, I don't think this team is "there" yet. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll certainly see.

JMHOFWIW

Yes, the Cocks certainly can win.

Road game will make it tough though, especially if Ky's crowd and stadium atmosphere is near that of the Miss St. game.

Hope you win every game with the exception of ours. SmokinSmile

[If you don't mind...]
6. If Kentucky can build a competitive SEC team in football, then certainly we should be able to.
7. If we win next week, it proves this rebuilding program is valid.
8. If we win next Saturday, we should win out in the SEC this season.

I mostly read and rarely post, however after this past weekends victory over Miss state I'm even more excited for this team.

I've always read this board and I respect your opinion(s).

Would you kindly revisit quotes #6 and #7 as if they read:
6. "If we lose next week..."
7. "If we lose next Saturday..."

I'd like to hear your thoughts from a Gamecock fan's perspective.

Thanks, and hope the Cocks win them all except for next week!

I mostly read and rarely post, however after this past weekends victory over Miss state I'm even more excited for this team.

I've always read this board and I respect your opinion(s).

Would you kindly revisit quotes #6 and #7 as if they read:
6. "If we lose next week..."
7. "If we lose next Saturday..."

I'd like to hear your thoughts from a Gamecock fan's perspective.

Thanks, and hope the Cocks win them all except for next week!
I will do what amounts to that someplace on this board following the game if the occasion arises.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I love the fact that all the hype is on Kentucky this year and we are in the role they have been excelling at in this series the last several years.

Reactions: vehemon
Stoops has them cashing in this year. Like us, they have recruiting limitations. But every few years, things line up through a few special players and upperclassmen along the lines. They cannot sustain this for several years though.
We recruit better than they do, so I expect at the least we have a good year every 3-4 where we seriously challenge for the East. If Stoops can do it we surely should be able to.
The Stoops brand in Ohio is growing bigger and bigger every year. Since Ohio St. is recruiting nationally, Stoops and coach Marrow are tearing it up there. Coach Gran is doing the same in S. Florida.

The Stoops brand in Ohio is growing bigger and bigger every year. Since Ohio St. is recruiting nationally, Stoops and coach Marrow are tearing it up there. Coach Gran is doing the same in S. Florida.
Every 5 star Urban takes from Texas, Illinois , Florida , etc. leaves a 4 star in Ohio that Kentucky has a real chance at landing . Their recruiting pitch is , Ohio State doesn't want you ? Come and play in the BEST football conference in America and your family can drive to watch you play .

Every 5 star Urban takes from Texas, Illinois , Florida , etc. leaves a 4 star in Ohio that Kentucky has a real chance at landing . Their recruiting pitch is , Ohio State doesn't want you ? Come and play in the BEST football conference in America and your family can drive to watch you play .

This approach has paid off for UK very nice the past several years, as Lexington is just a 60-90 minute drive from talent rich Southern Ohio. Kentucky has been trying to expand north into Michigan recently and they landed two future studs from there in last year's class.

I agree with this. We can win, but they are better than any Kentucky team we have faced recently. Miss St isn't a joke, and they rolled them.
Being a running team and the weather they received, the dice rolled in their favor that night. Not saying that's a primary reason for their win but it definitely helped.

Extremely surprised that Vegas decided to give us the points.

Deebo scares the crap out of me.
IMHO his injury totally changed the game last year.

Should be a good college football game.
Injury free !!!!

Bentley hit Deebo on an RPO slant route to start the game last season and Deebo took it to the house. I think Deebo will be extra motivated in this game, so UK defense better be ready. I like our chances if we beat UK at their own game and establish the run early like we did against Vandy.

Honestly if we lose this year I can say we got beat by the better team . Even during our really low points we were head and shoulders more talented than KY and got out coached and out hustled . Even with Connor Mitch and Perry at QB we had no excuse to lose to KY at home . This year is different . They are a talented and well coached team and I really think it could go either way . At the beginning of the year I would have said another loss to KY and heads need to roll . However , they are legit and will probably be the best team we face besides UGA and CU . Expecting a battle .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT