ADVERTISEMENT

6 years 600,000 per year for Kingston .**

600K per year is not chump change. Not sure why fans are equating salary with whether or not USC hired a good coach.There are very few million dollar salaries in college baseball. Posted this elsewhere, but worth reposting.

You have to look at success based on the resources around you. Look at the programs where Kingston has been a head coach. Neither had a good history of success. Neither paid him much. Neither had a fan base. Neither had a lot of resources to help the program be successful. Look what he did, now think about what a guy like that can do at a place that DOES have all of the above.

Illinois State
- 10 years before Kingston, 2 winning seasons.
- 5 years with Kingston - 5 winnings seasons, 2 conference championships, 1 conf. tournament championship

South Florida
- Prior to Kingston - 0 NCAAs since 2002
- 3 years with Kingston - 2 NCAAs, 40+ wins this year (first 40+ win season at USF since 1994)
- his team this year had a higher RPI than USC, and had wins over Florida and Florida State.

The guy knows how to win, now he's getting a chance on a bigger stage at place with money, facilities, history etc. to help him succeed.

Reactions: lawcalcock
The most important question for me .... is he bringing Current (excellent young hitting coach) and Mohl (same with pitching) with him?

I find it very embarrassing that so many who post here apparently suffer from an inferiority complex. Whining and bashing of our coaches and administration really has gotten old. Predictable bashing of Tanner with his hires based on only speculation and zero real knowledge of what he is actually doing in his searches.

Come on guys, grow a pair, we are not playing marbles in a 4th grade schoolyard. Apologies to our ladies on the forum but I did not know of a similar suitable admonishment.

Sure, I admired how Florida played in the CWS and what that said about their coach but I certainly don't blame him for staying there if Tanner even approached him, which we do not even know happened.

Those (me included) who did not favor our overly cautious approach lately and bunting tendencies should be happy as Kingston looks to be seriously offensive minded. If we can gather some good bats to match his approach, we may be in for a good ride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT