ADVERTISEMENT

70’s hoops

Rick Henry literally reads three stories he found on the internet during the day and calls it the sports segment.
I know nothing about the guy personally but his "reporting" is lacking

Oh I agree. Reggie Anderson is by far the best sports guy in town because of his focus on high schools and various high school sports. He covers even minor sports.

The guy on ABC Columbia is also good, and the folks at WACH 57 do a really good job.

Rick's sports report effort is very weak.

I've heard he was very moody in person and wasn't the laugh a minute guy- very, very insecure. Is that correct?

I know Dean Martin going his own way about destroyed him. Jerry looked at Dean almost like a father figure. But he drove Dean nuts. Dean will be on stage trying to sing one of his songs in a serious way and Jerry was behind him trying to steal the focus with his antics.
Lewis was dour, almost morose. Lucille Ball was another one who was nothing like the characters she played. She was serious and businesslike when not on camera. Not to be trifled with.

I have read that Bruce Willis is a jerk. James Garner was a class act. While filming The Notebook here in SC at the low country, he was about to leave the set for a round of golf when a bus of tourists recognized him. He stopped and signed requested autographs, missing his tee time. Tom Hanks is a lot like Garner.

According to USC media guides, WIS started televising all USC home basketball games in the 1967-68 season. They also carried the Chesley ACC network games when we were in the ACC.
My dad's last Christmas was 1969. For Christmas that year, he gave me a small b&w Sears TV. Without me knowing, he also had the cable company, now Comporium, come to the house and put in cable to my room. Why? Because cable carried WIS and he knew I wanted to watch Gamecock basketball.

OT: Regarding Lucille Ball, I see that Nicole Kidman was nominated for an Oscar for her portrayal of Ball in the movie "Being The Ricardos". Saw the movie and she was very good. Jessica Chastain was nominated for playing Tammy Faye Bakker in "The Eyes of Tammy Faye Bakker". Saw that movie too and she was very good. While Nicole will probably win, I feel Jessica did a better job. Kidman played Ball in mostly, one week of Lucy's life. Jessica played Bakker over a 30-year period, which is way more difficult to do. I came away feeling sorry for Tammy Faye Bakker, to my big surprise.

I apologize for hijacking the original intent of the thread.

Lewis was dour, almost morose. Lucille Ball was another one who was nothing like the characters she played. She was serious and businesslike when not on camera. Not to be trifled with.

I heard a bit of Turner Classic Movies- TCM's podcast of Lucille Ball and I Love Lucy. Apparently it's a 6 part series going back to when Ball was born in New York, her childhood, growing up and of course Hollywood.

The bit I heard was like a commercial for it but made me want to listen to more. It sounded like it covered all her warts and all - and Desi's as well and a lot of behind the scenes stuff.

The part I heard was when they had famous Hollywood actress Tallulah Bankhead on one of their post I Love Lucy shows. Bankhead was a wreck in rehearsals and couldn't remember her lines. Lucy was nervous to be around such a famous actress of old Hollywood but she got upset that Bankhead was screwing up her lines thinking the Live Taping was going to be a disaster.

When the live taping happened, Bankhead nailed all her lines perfectly and stole the show and Lucy forgot some of her lines and had to improvise. Lucy was blown away at how Bankhead just turned it on when it counted.

Last edited:
OT: Regarding Lucille Ball, I see that Nicole Kidman was nominated for an Oscar for her portrayal of Ball in the movie "Being The Ricardos". Saw the movie and she was very good. Jessica Chastain was nominated for playing Tammy Faye Bakker in "The Eyes of Tammy Faye Bakker". Saw that movie too and she was very good. While Nicole will probably win, I feel Jessica did a better job. Kidman played Ball in mostly, one week of Lucy's life. Jessica played Bakker over a 30-year period, which is way more difficult to do. I came away feeling sorry for Tammy Faye Bakker, to my big surprise.

I apologize for hijacking the original intent of the thread.

I saw Being The Ricardo's. I thought it was well done.

I have read that Bruce Willis is a jerk. James Garner was a class act. While filming The Notebook here in SC at the low country, he was about to leave the set for a round of golf when a bus of tourists recognized him. He stopped and signed requested autographs, missing his tee time. Tom Hanks is a lot like Garner.

I've heard Garner was very friendly

and I've heard Hanks is too.

Another guy I heard good things about was James Best - Roscoe on Dukes of Hazzard. I know he lived out at Lake Murray for a short time.

Best had tons of parts on shows in the 60s but in his downtime he taught young actors at an acting school in Hollywood.

I think it was him that was asked in an audition once if he could cry on cue and his answer was "which eye do you want the tears to first appear?" or something like that.

Another useless fact- Steve McQueen could not cry on cue. As a result, I don't think he had any movies where he cried. But of course he made up it with his facial expressions which were incredible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT