ADVERTISEMENT

8-4 So Says a BIG TIME Clemson Backer (Banker) - For One of Us

SportsSuites1

Oct 17, 2007
With the 'winner' in Columbia finishing 9-3.

Met this morning with a casual friend, long-time 'big-time' banker, lifelong Clemson fan and VERY LARGE personal Tiger supporter to discuss a few REO opportunities they're stuck with (still way too rich for my blood) so, after the 15-minutes of potential (though never probable - I suspected they haven't yet gagged on this stuff quite long enough 'fore I even got there) 'business' we talked for about 40-minutes 'bout football.

HE AIN'T BUYING THE KOOL-AID.

Thinks they'll get by Louisville OK ("they're unranked and pretty depleted from last year") but LOSE their 'by-then' 9/10 ranking after starting out 3-0 when they get whacked by Notre Dame at home (to the chagrin of 'this year's' crop of starry-eyed tigerpaw followers).

He thinks MANY Clemson fans will go into absolute 'panic' mode when GA Tech also beats 'em at home the following week (dropping 'em completely OUT of the Top 25 at 3-2) but thinks things settle down after that and Clemson wins-out ('cept for FL State) coming into Williams-Brice 8-3 to face the Gamecocks climbing back to be ranked somewhere in the 20's.

He thinks we lose to UGA, Mizzou and aTm all on the road but beat UT traveling and handle LSU at home to also come into late November's game against Clemson 8-3 ranked anywhere from 16 to 22 depending on the records of the guys who beat us.

He said if Watson's STILL playing the line should be around +/- 3 one way or the other, but if Watson's out he thinks 'Carolina will be favored by at least 7 at home.

Winner ends up 9-3
ranked somewhere between 15-20 while the loser drops to 8-4 and is lucky to stay in the Top 25.

If WE win he thinks we go 'Outback Bowl' and beat whomever to finish 10-3, if not, Liberty Bowl to 'maybe' win 9 depending on how hard the players put out.

If Clemson wins he thinks they go Gator and maybe/maybe not win 10 ... if not also Liberty where he thinks they get SMACKED to finish 8-5.

He says if the Gamecocks beat Clemson AGAIN in 2015 it won't be 'the end' for Dabo (unless they come into the game 6-5 or some such) BUT regardless of how it plays out IF 'Carolina starts another "winning streak" that streak will NOT get past TWO (2015/2016) before Dabo's offered the job of 'recruiting coordinator' IF he stays at all.

Old guy who still prefers ties and he sure seemed to know his football. When I told him so he laughed and said from where he sits he's heard a LOT of BS in his day and 'this year' AIN'T gonna' be our 'glory year'. He believes if the stars stay aligned 2017 (schedule-wise and personnel-wise) could be Clemson's shot at something big, but his opinion of 2015? Good, always competitive, not GREAT.

He was CERTAIN the HBC will have a 'better' year in 2015 than last year, but he thinks we're a year away (2016) 'schedule-wise' to have a real shot ... first needing to get those teams we MUST beat in our own house.

It's a real pleasure to talk with people who actually WENT to Clemson. They do get an excellent education.
I had to smile when we walked out of the bank together and he climbed up into that black 4-door Ford F-150 with its painted tiger paw pewter insert jammed into that trailer hitch. Old guy with his banker-tie has style.

And pretty good sense.

Well stop the presses.....the season is done...lol....

getPart

Met this morning with a casual friend, long-time 'big-time' banker, lifelong Clemson fan and VERY LARGE personal Tiger supporter to discuss a few REO opportunities they're stuck with (still way too rich for my blood) so, after the 15-minutes of potential (though never probable - I suspected they haven't yet gagged on this stuff quite long enough 'fore I even got there) 'business' we talked for about 40-minutes 'bout football.

Thinks they'll get by Louisville OK ("they're unranked and pretty depleted from last year") but LOSE their 'by-then' 9/10 ranking after starting out 3-0 when they get whacked by Notre Dame at home (to the chagrin of 'this year's' crop of starry-eyed tigerpaw followers).

He thinks MANY Clemson fans will go into absolute 'panic' mode when GA Tech also beats 'em at home the following week (dropping 'em completely OUT of the Top 25 at 3-2) but thinks things settle down after that and Clemson wins-out ('cept for FL State) coming into Williams-Brice 8-3 to face the Gamecocks climbing back to be ranked somewhere in the 20's.

He thinks we lose to UGA, Mizzou and aTm all on the road but beat UT traveling and handle LSU at home to also come into late November's game against Clemson 8-3 ranked anywhere from 16 to 22 depending on the records of the guys who beat us.

He said if Watson's STILL playing the line should be around +/- 3 one way or the other, but if Watson's out he thinks 'Carolina will be favored by at least 7 at home.

Winner ends up 9-3
ranked somewhere between 15-20 while the loser drops to 8-4 and is lucky to stay in the Top 25.

If WE win he thinks we go 'Outback Bowl' and beat whomever to finish 10-3, if not, Liberty Bowl to 'maybe' win 9 depending on how hard the players put out.

If Clemson wins he thinks they go Gator and maybe/maybe not win 10 ... if not also Liberty where he thinks they get SMACKED to finish 8-5.

He says if the Gamecocks beat Clemson AGAIN in 2015 it won't be 'the end' for Dabo (unless they come into the game 6-5 or some such) BUT regardless of how it plays out IF 'Carolina starts another "winning streak" that streak will NOT get past TWO (2015/2016) before Dabo's offered the job of 'recruiting coordinator' IF he stays at all.

Old guy who still prefers ties and he sure seemed to know his football. When I told him so he laughed and said from where he sits he's heard a LOT of BS in his day and 'this year' AIN'T gonna' be our 'glory year'. He believes if the stars stay aligned 2017 (schedule-wise and personnel-wise) could be Clemson's shot at something big, but his opinion of 2015? Good, always competitive, not GREAT.

He was CERTAIN the HBC will have a 'better' year in 2015 than last year, but he thinks we're a year away (2016) 'schedule-wise' to have a real shot ... first needing to get those teams we MUST beat in our own house.

It's a real pleasure to talk with people who actually WENT to Clemson. They do get an excellent education.
I had to smile when we walked out of the bank together and he climbed up into that black 4-door Ford F-150 with its painted tiger paw pewter insert jammed into that trailer hitch. Old guy with his banker-tie has style.

And pretty good sense.
I can't imagine any sane person having that long of a conversation with you. You sure it it wasn't just a voice in your head?

Last edited:
There is no way they can fire Dabo. If they did they wouldn't even have the money to pay Brad Scott to come out of retirement and coach their buffet.

Reactions: SliderUSC
I can't imagine any sane person having that long of a conversation with you. You sure it it wasn't just voice in your head?

Dang! This is getting to be like wrapping a Maypole ... got two tether balls flying 'round on flat planes looking to get whacked ... treetiger and tigerbrown - obviously home from school playing Ferris Bueller-wannabe's ... but no rich friends and no rich daddy's, so you're STUCK!

I didn't say the guy was sane I said he was a banker. Yes, a very successful banker but to me of the one's I've known (or met) not named Mills B. Lane, Hugh McColl, Billy Long, Luke Benson, Ed Crutchfield, John Lumpkin or Stan Gibson they may have enjoyed the perks and jaunts 'banking stardom' sometimes offered them but the 'rest of it' always seemed boring to me. I never met 'Hootie' Johnson, though I doubt he was ever bored.

When BOA stadium was under construction in the 90's (soon to be known as Ericsson Stadium) Billy Long took me to lunch with Crutchfield on top of First Union's HQ Building in Charlotte - and the 'view' of the stadium from there was actually better than from the BOA HQ down the street.

Crutchfield could have cut his baguette with the crease on his 5-point linen hankie and was as delightful as he was powerful to talk with. His table (his bank) his rules and he laid 'em out ...

"
How you been, Billy?!!! Hello, **********; we've got an hour. We're gonna' talk about girls for 12-minutes, football for 35-minutes then you've got 8-minutes to tell me what you want and I'm reserving 5-minutes to answer you; but I expect we'll finish lunch early."

We did.

What charisma, what style!!! ... what a great personality and what a wonderful smile. But 'far as what I wanted I missed by a MILE. Hellava' view of those footings, though ... and a very decent piece of fish.

Enjoy playing with that walkie-talkie thing tether ball.

Dang! This is getting to be like wrapping a Maypole ... got two tether balls flying 'round on flat planes looking to get whacked ... treetiger and tigerbrown - obviously home from school playing Ferris Bueller-wannabe's ... but no rich friends and no rich daddy's, so you're STUCK!

I didn't say the guy was sane I said he was a banker. Yes, a very successful banker but to me of the one's I've known (or met) not named Mills B. Lane, Hugh McColl, Billy Long, Luke Benson, Ed Crutchfield, John Lumpkin or Stan Gibson they may have enjoyed the perks and jaunts 'banking stardom' sometimes offered them but the 'rest of it' always seemed boring to me. I never met 'Hootie' Johnson, though I doubt he was ever bored.

When BOA stadium was under construction in the 90's (soon to be known as Ericsson Stadium) Billy Long took me to lunch with Crutchfield on top of First Union's HQ Building in Charlotte - and the 'view' of the stadium from there was actually better than from the BOA HQ down the street.

Crutchfield could have cut his baguette with the crease on his 5-point linen hankie and was as delightful as he was powerful to talk with. His table (his bank) his rules and he laid 'em out ...

"
How you been, Billy?!!! Hello, **********; we've got an hour. We're gonna' talk about girls for 12-minutes, football for 35-minutes then you've got 8-minutes to tell me what you want and I'm reserving 5-minutes to answer you; but I expect we'll finish lunch early."

We did.

What charisma, what style!!! ... what a great personality and what a wonderful smile. But 'far as what I wanted I missed by a MILE. Hellava' view of those footings, though ... and a very decent piece of fish.

Enjoy playing with that walkie-talkie thing tether ball.

SportsSuites is like the regular at the bar that all the other regulars avoid because they know if they are unfortunate enough to be seated next to him that they are in for an endless soliloquy about who he knows and what he knows. "Cheers" analogy: he aspires to be like Norm Peterson but he's really just a more obnoxious Cliff Clavin. Handle with care though as SportSuites could go postal.

Last edited:

Winner ends up 9-3

And pretty good sense.

What are the chances he had that conversation with a mannequin at a clothing store?? I'd say really good.

Reactions: cockynSC66

Winner ends up 9-3

everyone you know is "big time"

And pretty good sense.

Winner ends up 9-3

And pretty good sense.
who axed?

everything with you is "big time"

not sure there is a remedy for your issues

SportsSuites is like the regular at the bar that all the other regulars avoid because they know if they are unfortunate enough to be seated next to him that they are in for an endless soliloquy about who he knows and what he knows. "Cheers" analogy: he aspires to be like Norm Peterson but he's really just a more obnoxious Cliff Clavin. Handle with care though as SportSuites could go postal.

Oh, tigger-brown!!! ... leave it to you to draw a 'TV' analogy rather than one from real life, having so few life's experiences.
I'm not exactly 'proud' my pitch got deep-6'd by Crutchfield but I did get a free lunch! FWIW - the guy who set it up (Billy Long) later got it financed with private-equity. Did you know the ceilings balloon up to 14-feet when you get to those top floors?
Probably not.
FWIW ... (cut & paste)
WILLIAM A. LONG is President, Chief Executive Officer and Director of
Yadkin Valley Bank and Trust. Prior to joining Yadkin He was President,
Director and CEO of Main Street Bankshares, Inc. as well as President,
CEO and Director of Piedmont National Financial Services, Inc. Mr. Long
is the former Chief Executive Officer of R.B. Johnston & Sons, Inc. and
was Area Vice President and City Executive of First Union National Bank.
Mr. Long is a member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee
of the North Carolina Bankers Association and also serves as a Board
member of the North Carolina Citizens for Business and Industry. He
graduated from East Carolina University and the LSU School of Banking of
the South.
That was 2010 ... Billy retired in 2011 and I PROMISE you lives the 'good life' in Statesville, NC.
Everybody's from somewhere, sport. Before finally graduating at ECU Billy earned a few hours during a few semesters at USC ... the BEST stories we share are probably those from the old Tally-Ho.
Those 'friends' you allude to in 'Cheers' ... if you ever make any my advice is to 'stay in touch' with 'em. One day they might be able to get you a nice table with a view.
Question? Do you EVER 'go home'? Or do you simply prefer living over here, you tether ball?

lucy in the sky with diamonds?

" ... Picture yourself on a train in a station
With Plasticine porters with looking-glass ties
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes."

I was partial to George Jones even in the 60's ... never really got into the Beatles. Lyrics (like those you referenced) never seemed 'real' ... but maybe that's your point. It didn't seem 'real' when Donald Trump walked over to our little two-top in the Trump Tower atrium to inquire if we thought the seeded swirl pumpernickel and rye was fresh, either.

And Arnold, I mean Chucktown ... if you bump into Bill Murray at a 'riverdogs' game tell him 'sportssuites' says 'hey'! And remind him "Reds, Shem Creek, top-deck ... be there or be square." He'll get it.

I met a guy that likes Clemson, want to hear about it?...... nope

Last edited:
[SIZE=6 said:
"wob[/SIZE], post: 703749, member: 2326"]Not sure what's been dropped more - names in this thread or SS1 on his head as a child.

Wob is a word used to describe a sick dubstep track with a ridiculous amount of dirty wobble.

Not to be used for any old song..
guy 1: "Mate, can you put some wob on?"
guy 2: "Yeh, I'll fish out Skreams 'in for the kill' on vinyl - classic tune"
guy 1: "amazing."

And you are, truly. Maybe you can do a dance with the bedpost while 'Arnold' watches. Give it a 'wiggle' wob.

Oh, tigger-brown!!! ... leave it to you to draw a 'TV' analogy rather than one from real life, having so few life's experiences.
I'm not exactly 'proud' my pitch got deep-6'd by Crutchfield but I did get a free lunch! FWIW - the guy who set it up (Billy Long) later got it financed with private-equity. Did you know the ceilings balloon up to 14-feet when you get to those top floors?
Probably not.
FWIW ... (cut & paste)
WILLIAM A. LONG is President, Chief Executive Officer and Director of
Yadkin Valley Bank and Trust. Prior to joining Yadkin He was President,
Director and CEO of Main Street Bankshares, Inc. as well as President,
CEO and Director of Piedmont National Financial Services, Inc. Mr. Long
is the former Chief Executive Officer of R.B. Johnston & Sons, Inc. and
was Area Vice President and City Executive of First Union National Bank.
Mr. Long is a member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee
of the North Carolina Bankers Association and also serves as a Board
member of the North Carolina Citizens for Business and Industry. He
graduated from East Carolina University and the LSU School of Banking of
the South.
That was 2010 ... Billy retired in 2011 and I PROMISE you lives the 'good life' in Statesville, NC.
Everybody's from somewhere, sport. Before finally graduating at ECU Billy earned a few hours during a few semesters at USC ... the BEST stories we share are probably those from the old Tally-Ho.
Those 'friends' you allude to in 'Cheers' ... if you ever make any my advice is to 'stay in touch' with 'em. One day they might be able to get you a nice table with a view.
Question? Do you EVER 'go home'? Or do you simply prefer living over here, you tether ball?

Cliff, Cliff, Cliff. SMH

Rough night? Did you over-medicate or under-medicate? I'm guessing the latter based on your latest delusional rant. What took you so long to reply? Those voices in your head had you doing your research on Google?

Hey, do you take requests? I mean if I wanted to ask questions of some famous or prominent person(s) can you make that happen? Do they have to be living? You and the voices in your head do speak to the dead, right?

Do you believe in reincarnation? I'm guessing you do. I'll bet you were someone famous in a past life.

Say hello to Trump the next time you two get together. Any truth to the rumor you might be his first choice as a VP running mate?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT