ADVERTISEMENT

8 Team Playoff in 2018

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
I’m not saying there should be one, but If we had one the matchups based on the CFP rankings would be:

1st Round:
1) Alabama
8) UCF

2) Clemson
7) Michigan

3) Notre Dame
6) Ohio State

4) Oklahoma
5) Georgia

I’m taking Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Georgia in those game. (My personal picks, not guaranteed results)

Media / Fans who hate the SEC better be careful what they wish for. I think we could see more SEC vs SEC in title games if this happens anytime soon. Wouldn’t have happened this season as there could’ve been a rematch in second round between Bama and UGa. But I bet they would’ve changed UGA’s ranking to make sure that didn’t happen.

Probably wouldn’t happen until Saban is close to leaving Alabama though.

Last edited:
I agree with your top 8. Then what - winner of 1-8 vs winner of 4-5
Winner of 2-7 vs winner of 3-6

That'd be -
Bama vs UGA
Clem vs OSU

That would be awesome! I wish it would happen. At least Clemson would have to beat one more good team. UCF deserves a chance also.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
We are going to need another 10 years and parody before 8 comes into play

I'm with you on the eight games when more parody, but after reading some good responses to an earlier thread I started, I think we could actually go to 6 team playoffs now...

I agree with your top 8. Then what - winner of 1-8 vs winner of 4-5
Winner of 2-7 vs winner of 3-6

That'd be -
Bama vs UGA
Clem vs OSU

Yeah, like I said, I bet committee would’ve put UGa 6th instead of 5th to avoid 2nd round rematch with Alabama.

8 teams is terrible idea! Nothing drives me more crazy than games that don't matter! Professional leagues allow multiple losses to play in playoffs. Just think about top college players that could play but start faking injuries so they don't have to play against a lower league team because the hopes for big NFL payday.

So now not only are one loss teams very acceptable but now 2 loss teams are good too. Now Bama had a second loss because they played Citadel with all non-nfl players playing and NFL draft candidates protecting themselves but they still make it in. Bama at full strength with 2 losses is still stronger than a no loss G5 team so UCF gets cut out playoffs cause they played a close game against a team that is FCS or whatever.

People will not be happy with 8, then they will want 16, then they will want a play in game! I don't want to dilute wins. College is so great because every game matters. Stupidest system ever is when you can lose 80 games and still make playoffs. When you can win 60% and be a wildcard team with potential to win all? My love of college is the high level of needing to win every week, not oh well we lost this week but we should win rest and make it in.

Reactions: Gutpyler
The only way we go to 8 is if power 5 conference get automatic qualifiers... at least one from each, leaving 3 at large bids.

So it most likely would be:

1) Alabama
8) Washington

2) Clemson
7) Michigan or UCF (depending on Group of 5 inclusion agreement)

3) Notre Dame
6) Ohio State

4) Oklahoma
5) Georgia

The only way we go to 8 is if power 5 conference get automatic qualifiers... at least one from each, leaving 3 at large bids.

I disagree with having conference champs automatically in. What if Pitt had managed to upset the taters this year? (obviously that's a stretch) But just about any year with an upset, you could end up with a 7-5 ACC champ that certainly doesn't belong in the CFP.

I still say eliminate ALL qualifiers and put in the top 8 - just that simple.

So it most likely would be:

1) Alabama
8) Washington

2) Clemson
7) Michigan or UCF (depending on Group of 5 inclusion agreement)

3) Notre Dame
6) Ohio State

4) Oklahoma
5) Georgia

Good point. And in no way am I advocating for an 8 team playoff. Just matching up based on the CFP’s final rankings to see how it would play out. A P-5 automatic bid may be a negotiatio to make that happen. If so they need to eliminate Conference Title games. Could you imagine a 7-5 Pitt team upsetting Clemson and making the playoff? Obviously that wouldn’t happen this season because Pitt had no chance, but I could see a scenario where a 7-5 team upsets a 10-2 type team. Need to get 8 qualified teams.

I’m taking Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Georgia in those games.

I always find it funny when people assume that higher ranked teams will win, especially when we see so many upsets in college football. Last year Oklahoma took Georgia to two overtimes, how can you assume Georgia wins that game? If not 50-50, it certainly isn't much better than 55-45. Ohio State lost to Purdue by 29 while Notre Dame has an undefeated season. At best that game is 60-40. Alabama may be able to physically steamroll UCF, but I wouldn't bet my house on Clemson beating Michigan.

an 8 team playoff makes too much sense imo. Should have already been done. It's like the bowl season is already set up for it. As it is now, four teams have to wait nearly 4 weeks to play. How stupid is that? Make sense to cut that to 2 weeks and start elimination.
Yes, P-5 conference champs get automatic bids. You want in, win your conference. Easy enough message. The rest at-large are decided by highest left in the CFP ranking.

I always find it funny when people assume that higher ranked teams will win, especially when we see so many upsets in college football. (Agree, that’s why I picked 50% of the lower ranked teams). Last year Oklahoma took Georgia to two overtimes, how can you assume Georgia wins that game? (Assume? I said “I’m taking UGA”. Yes, I’d PICK Georgia in that matchup to win. Nowhere am I prophesying a victory or assuming a victory in a totally hypothetical situation.). If not 50-50 (If I had listed odds instead of just saying who I, personally, would pick in a hypothetical scenario, I would’ve listed this game as 50/50) it certainly isn't much better than 55-45. Ohio State lost to Purdue by 29 while Notre Dame has an undefeated season. At best that game is 60-40 (Ok, so maybe you would take ND. I would take Ohio State on a neutral field right now. Doesn’t mean I am assuming they win. I do find it ironic you start out criticizing folks for taking the higher ranked teams and then you criticize a pick of mine in which I choose the lower ranked team) Alabama may be able to physically steamroll UCF, but I wouldn't bet my house on Clemson beating Michigan. (Again, I’d pick Clemson. You can dream up any scenario you want. That’s all this is)

Responses in red. In case anyone else was wondering, I am no prophet for hypotheticals. Not advocating for expansion of the playoff. Simply offering a hypothetical, not based on my rankings, but off the final CFP Rankings...

Last edited:
I disagree with having conference champs automatically in. What if Pitt had managed to upset the taters this year? (obviously that's a stretch) But just about any year with an upset, you could end up with a 7-5 ACC champ that certainly doesn't belong in the CFP.

I still say eliminate ALL qualifiers and put in the top 8 - just that simple.
The Presidents in the Power 5 conferences will not agree to move to 8 teams unless they are guaranteed a bid.

The Presidents in the Power 5 conferences will not agree to move to 8 teams unless they are guaranteed a bid.

Agree with both. But that’s why they’ll have to do away with Conference Championship Games to avoid the “Pitt scenario”.

I’m not saying there should be one, but If we had one the matchups based on the CFP rankings would be:

1st Round:
1) Alabama
8) UCF

2) Clemson
7) Michigan

3) Notre Dame
6) Ohio State

4) Oklahoma
5) Georgia

I’m taking Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Georgia in those game. (My personal picks, not guaranteed results)

Media / Fans who hate the SEC better be careful what they wish for. I think we could see more SEC vs SEC in title games if this happens anytime soon. Wouldn’t have happened this season as there could’ve been a rematch in second round between Bama and UGa. But I bet they would’ve changed UGA’s ranking to make sure that didn’t happen.

Probably wouldn’t happen until Saban is close to leaving Alabama though.

If LSU didn't lose that 7 OT game they would have been top 8 as well, and last year Auburn would have made the 8 team playoff. More times than not the SEC will/would have three teams in the playoffs....

Reactions: Carolina4
8 should happen, but that should be as far as it ever goes. Granted, I'm saying that in a year in which 8 would make sense. Some years, you may get someone who really doesn't deserve it.

Here's how you make it more fair and make conference championships still matter though- first round is played at home stadiums. Thus if you're #1-4, you get to play a home game in round 1.

So in the case of this year's SEC championship where both would've gotten in to an 8 team playoff no matter the outcome, they would be fighting for a home game in round 1, which would be huge. Not to mention playoff games with home crowds would be absolutely insane.

Agreed just think if Northwestern, Pitt, and Utah had all won their Championship games this year it would be nightmare playoff.

Yeah, in basketball that would be considered fun. But football is different. Want the most deserving teams in that Top 8. 7-5 isn’t deserving even if they win their conference championship game. They would’ve merely benefitted form playing in a bad division to get to that upset game.

A scenario with one undeserving team would be funny once every now and then. But every year would be awful and to have 3, as you mentioned, would suck really bad.

Reactions: 92Pony
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT