ADVERTISEMENT

82% of all TV programs viewed in 2022 were the NFL

Context

The NFL accounted for 82 of the 100 most-watched U.S. TV broadcasts in 2022, according to the report. That smashes the previous record of 75 out of 100, a mark that the NFL reached in 2021.

Context

The NFL accounted for 82 of the 100 most-watched U.S. TV broadcasts in 2022, according to the report. That smashes the previous record of 75 out of 100, a mark that the NFL reached in 2021.

Completely different subject.

I seriously doubt that 82 of the 100 most-watched shows in 2022 were the NFL. The NFL lost a lot of viewers when they disrespected our the Flag and National Anthem, bashed America, promoted BLM racism and associated rioting, and joined the war on police and public safety.

Mainstream TV is a shell of what it once was -- so it's logical that LIVE primetime shows on the big networks have taken a hit with streaming. However, they have ways to carving up ratings in an attempt to pump interest.

Blackrock and Fidelity now hold the majority interest in SI and Sportico (below). They also are intimately connected to the NFL and other professional sports leagues via Fanatics and other outlets. And they conveniently own all the channels the NFL is broadcast on.

This reeks of glad-handing. We need these companies broken up badly. They are not playing fair at all and it's certainly not in the public's best interest or safety:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/11/bla...ports-illustrated-owner-authentic-brands.html

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/06/f...as-it-evolves-into-a-digital-sports-platform/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/24/business/blackrock-vanguard-state-street-biden/index.html

Last edited:
by Zach Dean of Outkick.com

"It’s no secret that the NFL is king when it comes to TV ratings, but it’s truly a sight to behold when you see the data for yourself.

Of the top 33 most-watched broadcasts, only TWO – including the State of the Union – were non-NFL programming. Two.

Goodness, what a beatdown. Seriously, this is jarring to see, even when we all knew this to already be the case.

And college football doesn’t even check in until No. 34."

Last edited:
Care to clarify that those implausible numbers are only as a percentage of live sports watched on TV?

This should be no surprise given the NFL's dominance and popularity.

There just isn't anything remotely close.

It's why Google pays $2 billion a year for the NFL's Sunday Ticket.

Sunday Night Football is the highest rated show on television. It's averages about 20 million viewers each week in the ratings- not counting radio listeners to the popular NFL radio broadcasts. Actual viewers are estimated to be many more given how many people watch the games at restaurants and other venues where the NFL games are broadcast.

Amazon's effort (they pay $1 billion a year for NFL rights) last year resulted in the most streamed game in history - more than 13 million streamed the first game. Amazon also saw a record amount of customers sign up for Amazon Prime during the 3 hour game window.

Last edited:

Sunday Night Football is the highest rated show on television. It's averages about 20 million viewers each week in the ratings- not counting radio listeners to the popular NFL radio broadcasts. Actual viewers are estimated to be many more given how many people watch the games at restaurants and other venues where the NFL games are broadcast.

Amazon's effort (they pay $1 billion a year for NFL rights) last year resulted in the most streamed game in history - more than 13 million streamed the first game. Amazon also saw a record amount of customers sign up for Amazon Prime during the 3 hour game window.

Sportico's primary shareholder is Blackrock. Blackrock owns the media. They spout whatever Blackrock wants them to spout. They don't care about proof of receipts anymore.

ESPN and the NFL numbers typically flow together for the most part. ABC/ESPN has been struggling for the past few years.

Nothing better than FOMO to boost ratings.

Last edited:
Sportico's primary shareholder is Blackrock. Blackrock owns the media. They spout whatever Blackrock wants them to spout. They don't care about proof of receipts anymore.

ESPN and the NFL numbers typically flow together for the most part. ABC/ESPN has been struggling for the past few years.

Ignoring your conspiracy theories...

Thousands of advertisers are not paying the highest ad rates in media for NFL spots because of questionable ratings.

It hurts your feelings that the NFL is the most popular entity on television. But no one cares.

5% were NCAA Football.

Ratings are in for this weekend

"Audiences were raring to go for the Thursday night kickoff game, delivering a huge audience for NBC’s telecast of the Detroit Lions victory over the Kansas City Chiefs. The game averaged 27.5M viewers to rank as the largest NFL kickoff game audience since 2015, up 24% over last year."

"On Sunday, CBS’ late afternoon game (the Philadelphia Eagles’ 25-20 win over the New England Patriots for most of the country) drew the biggest week one audience for the network since 2015."

Huge numbers for the Monday night game.

A large segment of society has gotten over all that stuff. Besides, there is not a whole lot to do on Sundays in the fall besides football. With one game a week, it's an event and I could definitely see the NFL having a large number of those events having higher ratings than other programs. Just for some context, I had people trying to get me to boycott the NFL on behalf of Kaepernick and I looked at them like they were crazy. So, everyone doesn't get so offended that they are going to materially change their way of life just because they don't like an action of others.

Reactions: Ward Jr

Yep, the only reason I signed up for Amazon Video last year was for the NFL Thursday games. I have found some other good content on there, but the NFL was the draw. Some people just don't understand. Many people could care less about their little boycotts over the Kaepernick issue on both sides.

Yep, the only reason I signed up for Amazon Video last year was for the NFL Thursday games. I have found some other good content on there, but the NFL was the draw. Some people just don't understand. Many people could care less about their little boycotts over the Kaepernick issue on both sides.

my favorite was that crazy morning show on Fox News talking about an nfl boycott a number of years back then on Friday mornings in football season the same show and hosts would be promoting the nfl games on Fox for the weekend and how great certain games were going to be. LOL

Ignoring your conspiracy theories...

Thousands of advertisers are not paying the highest ad rates in media for NFL spots because of questionable ratings.

It hurts your feelings that the NFL is the most popular entity on television. But no one cares.

You mean the conspiracy of Blackrock holding majority interest in Sportico, Fanatics and mainstream media?

Look - It's feasible the numbers are true. My point is don't just grab a link and hope. Instead verify.

Find an actual independent ratings outfit stating the same thing.

The gullible era has ended, Dave. You just haven't figured it out yet.

You mean the conspiracy of Blackrock holding majority interest in Sportico, Fanatics and mainstream media?

Look - It's feasible the numbers are true. My point is don't just grab a link and hope. Instead verify.

Your idea of independent is Donald Trump's opinion on the matter and some old guys sitting at a sports bar sneaking peaks at NFL games talking about how they no longer watch NFL games because "those communists should be forced to stand for the national anthem or go to jail"

It's an investment company. They own an interest in everything especially if it's a money-making venture.

It's an investment company. They own an interest in everything especially if it's a money-making venture.

It's true. But you can't have the same people who are trying to sell you something providing data to justify that expenditure. There have to be checks and balances to verify data - not just trust what someone is telling you.

We're seeing that happen in business, medicine, etc. Blackrock/Vanguard/State Street hold majority interests in pretty much everything including the media. They also hold interests in each other. Collusion at its finest.

These companies are a monopoly wrapped in a soulless corporate structure. They don't care if they misrepresent what they are selling as long as their projected litigation costs (fraud, etc.) do not exceed their profits. It's corporate corruption on steroids and it needs to be broken up for public safety alone.

Americans don't have time to run everything up the flagpole and that's where we are at. And when our government turns into a mouthpiece for those same companies, it complicates matters ten-fold. (e.g Censorship, COVID, etc.)

Last edited:
Your idea of independent is Donald Trump's opinion on the matter and some old guys sitting at a sports bar sneaking peaks at NFL games talking about how they no longer watch NFL games because "those communists should be forced to stand for the national anthem or go to jail"

Why are most all of your arguments pegged to Trump? Help is out there.

Reactions: FORKCOCK

You've exposed the conspiracy. You can link totally unrelated pieces with their conspiracies.

Of course the folks that push that illogical approach don't apply it to everything - just certain things- whatever conspiracy that supports their political ideology - or their own conspiracies.

For example, your local retirement home that has 50 employees could be owned by a New York capital investment firm. Does the investment firm have anything to do with the local retirement home? No. The employees are the same. The administrator of the home is the same. Does the fact that the investment firm in New York supports a particular political agenda mean the local retirement home employees or executive staff supports the same agenda? We all know one has absolutely nothing to do with each other. But an outside "Ward jr" person can make the link on paper, and accuse them of anything that supports the conspiracy.

Even though anyone with a lick of sense knows we have many other measurements for the NFL's popularity: Arbitron ratings for radio, Nielsen for over the air tv ratings, streaming platforms often have their own measurement of engagement including Nielsen.

Heck, even things like obviously noticeable increased business sales for bars and certain restaurants when NFL games are being broadcast are well documented.

WestWood One's national radio broadcast of NFL games is measured at 46 to 56 million listeners per Nielsen depending on the game and including playoff weeks. (Half of WestWood's audience is Am/Fm radio and half is Sirius radio per a study). This is also backed up by Arbitron ratings.

(Streamers aren't paying massive fees for things that their own internal data tells them no one is watching, that would be self defeating and the equal to stabbing yourself in the face).

It's true. But you can't have the same people who are trying to sell you something providing data to justify that expenditure. There have to be checks and balances to verify data - not just trust what someone is telling you.

We're seeing that happen in business, medicine, etc. Blackrock/Vanguard/State Street hold majority interests in pretty much everything including the media. They also hold interests in each other. Collusion at its finest.

These companies are a monopoly wrapped in a soulless corporate structure. They don't care if they misrepresent what they are selling as long as their projected litigation costs (fraud, etc.) do not exceed their profits. It's corporate corruption on steroids and it needs to be broken up for public safety alone.

Americans don't have time to run everything up the flagpole and that's where we are at. And when our government turns into a mouthpiece for those same companies, it complicates matters ten-fold. (e.g Censorship, COVID, etc.)
Yes you can and you can also use it as a form of insider trading in a way. For example, if Blackrock started selling off shares of these companies, it's probably a sign of a bad trend on the horizon for that company. It's a pointless argument anyway. You stipulated that their data was probably true. You just don't like the source that it's coming from. I poo-poo all the whining about the mainstream media anyway. What those outside of the mainstream outposts are really saying is that I wish I could be mainstream, I just don't have the money or ideas to make it there yet. So, I am going to attack the mainstream at every turn so I can replace them. Good strategy if it works.

Last edited:
Yes you can and you can also use it as a form of insider trading in a way. For example, if Blackrock started selling off shares of these companies, it's probably a sign of a bad trend on the horizon for that company. It's a pointless argument anyway. You stipulated that their data was probably true. You just don't like the source that it's coming from. I poo-poo all the whining about the mainstream media anyway. What those outside of the mainstream outposts are really saying is that I wish I could be mainstream, I just don't have the money or ideas to make it there yet. So, I am going to attack the mainstream at every turn so I can replace them. Good strategy if it works.

The issue is that you're placing trust in those who have every reason to embellish/lie to satisfy shareholder interest and pad their bottom line.

Just look at what's happening with the pandemic response. That's a total disaster because these same corporations captured our medical system, were granted indemnity, owned the media outlets, and ran around stating an experimental product was safe and effective when it clearly wasn't. That was no mistake and now we have data to prove it.

There has to be separation between church and state. Corporate greed is one thing. This is quite another.

I mentioned above it's feasible the ratings are correct but it definitely comes across as suspect Again, this is a scenario where there is no option to cross check as the same people who are broadcasting the game are also telling you what the ratings are. That's China.

Last edited:
The issue is that you're placing trust in those who have every reason to embellish/lie to satisfy shareholder interest and pad their bottom line.

Just look at what's happening with the pandemic response. That's a total disaster because these same corporations captured our medical system, were granted indemnity, owned the media outlets, and ran around stating an experimental product was safe and effective when it clearly wasn't. That was no mistake and now we have data to prove it.

There has to be separation between church and state. Corporate greed is one thing. This is quite another.

I mentioned above it's feasible the ratings are correct but it definitely comes across as suspect Again, this is a scenario where there is no option to cross check as the same people who are broadcasting the game are also telling you what the ratings are. That's China.
Why do you have to trust the information. You can choose to trust it or take it with a grain of salt. People act like they don’t have a choice with information. A history proven in fact has more credence with me more than a lack of connection or influence over things. Usually an entity without influence has fewer resources to produce correct data. However, it’s your choice to believe what you like. Having a different perspective doesn’t mean someone is gullible. It just means certain factors may rank higher or lower in importance than they do with you.

So Watergate should have been ignored then using today’s media standards. Nixon should have simply answered 5 questions and went to bed. Wake up………the lack of reporting and ignoring news is staggering. It’s an attempt at manipulation by omission. And yes, as someone who worked at a large FM station years ago, we could make any Arbitron rating sound great.

Reactions: Ward Jr
So Watergate should have been ignored then using today’s media standards. Nixon should have simply answered 5 questions and went to bed. Wake up………the lack of reporting and ignoring news is staggering. It’s an attempt at manipulation by omission. And yes, as someone who worked at a large FM station years ago, we could make any Arbitron rating sound great.
Dude, you are taking this way out of context and way too seriously. It's about television ratings for Gosh sakes. ...and some people would have been more than willing to ignore Watergate. There are people that are willing to ignore the Trump indictments. Not saying they are wrong, but they choose to ignore it. My message is you have a choice to do what you want and not everything that you disagree with signifies the end of society as you may know it. As I get older, I see people take themselves and many issues way too seriously. Life carried on well before you and it will carry on well after you. However, stay on your little non-mainstream websites for news. I will use the mainstream ones or some non-mainstream ones if I so choose.

Reactions: tngamecock#
Why do you have to trust the information. You can choose to trust it or take it with a grain of salt. People act like they don’t have a choice with information. A history proven in fact has more credence with me more than a lack of connection or influence over things. Usually an entity without influence has fewer resources to produce correct data. However, it’s your choice to believe what you like. Having a different perspective doesn’t mean someone is gullible. It just means certain factors may rank higher or lower in importance than they do with you.

If you're corporation wants to spend $20mil+ on advertising during the NFL games, you wouldn't want to see numbers that have nothing to do with that one single outfit who is selling you the advertising? To complicate matters, they aren't disclosing this fact. They are instead using shell/satellite companies to deceive the customer into believing the company providing the stats are independent. The Nielsen TV ratings were once independent that most trusted. Now Blackrock owns them too but most people would have no clue.

Also, what if you learned that same corporation had been sued for fraud over and over again and had demonstrated that they simply don't care? They just pay the whatever damages and continue to operate in that same fashion?

You're correct that you could simply walk away in this case IF you track down the fact the company has both sides of the deal and the numbers are potentially cooked. There's no other vendor or means to verify so your company's only choice is forgo advertising on the NFL networks. They'll continue to get advertising from suckers who trust they are operating in good faith.

However, this setup becomes hazardous for society as whole when you apply it to industries where reliability and public safety are of great concern -- such as car sales, medicine, news reporting, food etc. This has nothing to do with politics. We're watching this play out in real time with the pandemic response. These same companies are at the center of this issue.

This is the exact reason we have anti-trust laws. However, our government is now in their pocket too.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaleoCock
If you're corporation wants to spend $20mil+ on advertising during the NFL games, you wouldn't want to see numbers that have nothing to do with that one single outfit who is selling you the advertising? To complicate matters, they aren't disclosing this fact. They are instead using shell/satellite companies to deceive the customer into believing the company providing the stats are independent. The Nielsen TV ratings were once independent that most trusted. Now Blackrock owns them too but most people would have no clue.

Also, what if you learned that same corporation had been sued for fraud over and over again and had demonstrated that they simply don't care? They just pay the whatever damages and continue to operate in that same fashion?

You're correct that you could simply walk away in this case IF you track down the fact the company has both sides of the deal and the numbers are potentially cooked. There's no other vendor or means to verify so your company's only choice is forgo advertising on the NFL networks. They'll continue to get advertising from suckers who trust they are operating in good faith.

However, this setup becomes hazardous for society as whole when you apply it to industries where reliability and public safety are of great concern -- such as car sales, medicine, news reporting, food etc. This has nothing to do with politics. We're watching this play out in real time with the pandemic response. These same companies are at the center of this issue.

This is the exact reason we have anti-trust laws. However, our government is now in their pocket too.
if you search for a conspiracy theory around every corner, you are certain to find it. Some of you guys are too old to be using all this emotional energy on things that you haven't changed yet and are not going to change. There are monopolies in business. The market sometimes set the stage for that happen and sometimes businesses do work behind the scenes to cause that result. However, in this case, you have provided no real evidence that Blackrock are Vanguard are doing anything wrong. They have just bought up a lot of stock in companies which investment companies do. They wouldn't buy up all that stock in the companies you listed if the companies were not profitable. I think the issue here is that you don't like the NFL isn't taking much of hit after the National Anthem issue and instead of just accepting that fact, you attack the source that Dee Dave set forth for no good reason. You have never said the information was wrong. You even implied that it was probably right. Yet, you go on this diatribe about monopolies and market manipulation. Alternative facts era. If you don't like the facts, just blame it on the mainstream media.

Last edited:
Also there are over a billion Chinese in the world who didn’t watch the NFL at all. The price of bottled water is going up by about ten cents a bottle. The weather was less humid today.

if you search for a conspiracy theory around every corner, you are certain to find it. Some of you guys are too old to be using all this emotional energy on things that you haven't changed yet and are not going to change. There are monopolies in business. The market sometimes set the stage for that happen and sometimes businesses do work behind the scenes to cause that result. However, in this case, you have provided no real evidence that Blackrock are Vanguard are doing anything wrong. They have just bought up a lot of stock in companies which investment companies do. They wouldn't buy up all that stock in the companies you listed if the companies were not profitable. I think the issue here is that you don't like the NFL isn't taking much of hit after the National Anthem issue and instead of just accepting that fact, you attack the source that Dee Dave set forth for no good reason. You have never said the information was wrong. You even implied that it was probably right. Yet, you go on this diatribe about monopolies and market manipulation. Alternative facts era. If you don't like the facts, just blame it on the mainstream media.

There is no conspiracy here. I've posted their interest in these companies directly. That is textbook anti-trust issues and I've also posted CNN discussing that fact. The only conspiracies of any relevance I've seen over the past few years have been from these companies and our government.

You're behind the curve on this one. Again, look at the pandemic debacle and our government and MDs pushed it because they were bribed. They tried to force it on us and employers did just that. It wasn't safe and effective and there are far more people injured than in any other medication in history. And it's still on the market and being pushed to kids via lies because of these companies. That is next level corruption. It's one thing to deceive when money is involved - it's quite another when it's your life.

I honestly could care less about the NFL and what they sell. The figures posted looked suspect and that's why I commented. Several people did the same.

Dude, you are taking this way out of context and way too seriously. It's about television ratings for Gosh sakes. ...and some people would have been more than willing to ignore Watergate. There are people that are willing to ignore the Trump indictments. Not saying they are wrong, but they choose to ignore it. My message is you have a choice to do what you want and not everything that you disagree with signifies the end of society as you may know it. As I get older, I see people take themselves and many issues way too seriously. Life carried on well before you and it will carry on well after you. However, stay on your little non-mainstream websites for news. I will use the mainstream ones or some non-mainstream ones if I so choose.
Ok….you’re right. OP made it read totally different than the results. I can easily see 82 out of 100 most watched shows being sports related. But Walter Cronkite left the building a looooonnnnngggg time ago. I laugh at the Fox bashers. You stick with CNN for the avoidance of news.

And as I got older, the government I thought was trying to do the right stuff as a kid is now filled with power hungry controlling a$$holes. So unless you were around in the 60s like me, you have no clue as to the change. The government tries to divide our nation now. Both parties suck. I am a Republican but would vote for John Kennedy in a heartbeat these days.

Mainstream is great if you want to see stories about Jill Biden reading to school kids or something. Better yet, as soon as you can link me to an ABC or CNN reporter asking our president a tough question or follow up question I’ll give them another try. Link me to a Hunter Biden deep dive by them. You can’t. So that only leaves one conclusion….they are helping to hide something. So it’s not news anymore.

Ok….you’re right. OP made it read totally different than the results. I can easily see 82 out of 100 most watched shows being sports related. But Walter Cronkite left the building a looooonnnnngggg time ago. I laugh at the Fox bashers. You stick with CNN for the avoidance of news.

And as I got older, the government I thought was trying to do the right stuff as a kid is now filled with power hungry controlling a$$holes. So unless you were around in the 60s like me, you have no clue as to the change. The government tries to divide our nation now. Both parties suck. I am a Republican but would vote for John Kennedy in a heartbeat these days.

Mainstream is great if you want to see stories about Jill Biden reading to school kids or something. Better yet, as soon as you can link me to an ABC or CNN reporter asking our president a tough question or follow up question I’ll give them another try. Link me to a Hunter Biden deep dive by them. You can’t. So that only leaves one conclusion….they are helping to hide something. So it’s not news anymore.

WOW!!! I hear you!!! BUT!!! AM I REALLY THE BAD GUY??? ..... or just the eye opener??? REPUBLICAN???? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: tngamecock#
I haven’t watched or thought about the NFL much for the past 8-10 years. It’s become a political propaganda machine.

IMO, when you get away from sports, pretty much everything on TV is crap. Been that way for at least several years now. I used to be a big sitcom watcher, now I don't watch any at all. And if I don't stop myself from scrolling, I'll get caught in a never ending loop looking for something interesting to watch.

You'd be a good patient for a mental health therapist or a great guest for Alex Jones. Even a POS scum Alex might not take you seriously though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT