ADVERTISEMENT

a baseball first...

LazyIslander

Aug 2, 2015
Lady's Island
Baseball's a crazy game sometimes. I've been watching baseball since I was a kid... for about 40 years. I've seen a lot of unique plays over the years. Yesterday included a first for me. I had never seen a wild pitch on an intentional walk pitch-out. To add insult to injury, with a runner on third, it allowed a go-ahead run to cross the plate... in the 11th inning!

Like I said, baseball is crazy sometimes. But I feel quite certain that I will not see this happen again in the next 40 years of watching.

Baseball's a crazy game sometimes. I've been watching baseball since I was a kid... for about 40 years. I've seen a lot of unique plays over the years. Yesterday included a first for me. I had never seen a wild pitch on an intentional walk pitch-out. To add insult to injury, with a runner on third, it allowed a go-ahead run to cross the plate... in the 11th inning!

Like I said, baseball is crazy sometimes. But I feel quite certain that I will not see this happen again in the next 40 years of watching.

Either TAMU or MSU won on such a walk off the first weekend of the season.

I'm sure it has happened. But I had not seen it before. So it's just not something I anticipated, or even considered as a possibility.
Funny thing...I honestly was thinking about that very thing happening, especially with the recent changes to MLB rules that came down this week, and my big sis and I discussing what happened opening weekend.

When you bring in 7 pitchers you're obviously not stepping up in talent, then go with a 5'10 150lb freshman who the opponent can read his pitch timing and steal 2 bases that has no experience to win the game....3 years in a row. Another mismanaged series loss.

Reactions: tailgatecock
Really? I've seen it a number of times over those same number of years, if you're including MLB of course. Can't say I've ever seen us do it before though.

Like said above, that's the biggest sticking point for those against the new MLB intentional walk rule.

Reactions: rogue cock
As a former pitching coach myself as high as the 18U level, I can tell you if pitchers don't practice it, intentional walks can be a dangerous thing. They are never a given... especially with a somewhat inexperienced pitcher. That's why they have to go through the pitches instead of simply awarded a base based on the pitcher's intensions. I got to say I wasn't surprised by the wild pitch given how deep we'd gone to the bullpen. Seen it happen a lot. As with everything, the key is practice. This is one of those things that not all do. Those who do tend to do well, those who don't sometimes tighten up.

I have never seen or heard of a wild pitch in this situation but I have heard of the catcher dropping the ball on an intentional walk in the majors. I heard a MLB announcer say one time that is why baseball purist are not in favor of just sending a batter to first base instead of actually having the pitcher throw four pitches is because on rare occasions the catcher will drop a ball on an intentional walk.

Funny thing...I honestly was thinking about that very thing happening, especially with the recent changes to MLB rules that came down this week, and my big sis and I discussing what happened opening weekend.

What's the recent changes to MLB rules this year?

Really? I've seen it a number of times over those same number of years, if you're including MLB of course. Can't say I've ever seen us do it before though.

Like said above, that's the biggest sticking point for those against the new MLB intentional walk rule.
i was thinking they could have the team wanting to do the intentional walk let it be known thats what they wanted to do and then the other team either except or decline.....with that said, im not sure i would ever decline, which puts us right back with what has always been done.....i dont think the offensive team should get to be the only one to make that decision.....just my 2 cents

Yes - MLB is reviewing a rule where the coach can request an intentional walk from the dugout, and the umpire will award it without pitches. They are also looking at reducing the official review time from 5 to 3 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT