ADVERTISEMENT

A Couple Questions from a Knight Fan heading up to Columbia tomorrow

JagKnight5

Aug 15, 2014
Hey guys,

Despite our recent struggles, a few of us have decided to book a last minute trip up for the South Carolina game tomorrow. None of us have ever been to your stadium and its on our "bucket list" have a couple of quick questions that I was hoping you could help me out with:

Lodging:

We are likely staying at the Econolodge in Cayce, SC. However, we were told if we stay there we will have a difficult time getting over towards the stadium on gameday. We are planning to head over via cab/uber around 8:30 or 9. Is staying here and getting to the stadium at this hour reasonable, or do we need to look at closer hotels?

Post-Game Partying:

After the game is over, where are the best spots to go to watch afternoon games in the area?

Thanks for your guys help.

Not sure why someone said staying in Cayce would make it difficult to get to the stadium. You'll just take a right out of the parking lot onto Airport Highway and follow it to the merge with Knox Abbot Drive, follow it through Cayce, then across the Blossom Street bridge to a right on Huger to a right on Olympia and straight up to the stadium. Honestly, if it were me, I'd just drive over myself and find a place to park in Olympia to tailgate. Not sure I'd wait until 9 am to head over. Go earlier, and have breakfast out there while tailgating.

After the game, my best guess would be The Vista area in downtown.

Hey guys,

Despite our recent struggles, a few of us have decided to book a last minute trip up for the South Carolina game tomorrow. None of us have ever been to your stadium and its on our "bucket list" have a couple of quick questions that I was hoping you could help me out with:

Lodging:

We are likely staying at the Econolodge in Cayce, SC. However, we were told if we stay there we will have a difficult time getting over towards the stadium on gameday. We are planning to head over via cab/uber around 8:30 or 9. Is staying here and getting to the stadium at this hour reasonable, or do we need to look at closer hotels?

Post-Game Partying:

After the game is over, where are the best spots to go to watch afternoon games in the area?

I would say head to the vista downtown, great food and bars.

We were told it would be difficult from Cayce due to the overwhelming gridlock and I imagine it would be like that at gametime just didn't know if that was a realistic concern in the morning. We will be pregaming with our alumni association at:

Seawell's Catering
1125 Rosewood Drive
Columbia, SC 29201

Most hotels closer to the stadium are looking for $400-$500 a night which is insane to me. Thanks for your guys help

Waiting closer to 830-9 to head over, yes you will experience more traffic issues. Parking gates will be opening around 7ish. I just like having my car available to me, which is a reason I suggested drive on your own. We're one of the few schools in the nation that has ample parking around the stadium, thanks to being off campus. If you drive over yourself, and park somewhere in Olympia (I think the old Olympia school sells spots on gameday still), you can walk right over to Seawells.

Also, I'm not sure how easy it would be for an Uber driver or Cab to get to the stadium after the game to pick y'all up, as most roads will be one way going away from the stadium.

Just something to keep in mind. Have fun, and welcome to Columbia.

Last edited:
Don't know why anyone told you it would be hard to get there from Cayce, lol. Especially at that hour. I mean, of course there will be game traffic. But nothing exceptionally out of the ordinary.

Hey guys,

Lodging:

Post-Game Partying:

3-4 hrs b4 ko should be no problem, i'd expect a late arrivin' tailgatin' crowd as rain is expected.....& i'd advise u drive yer own car 2 have possible shelter from the rain prediction....safe travels

We were told it would be difficult from Cayce due to the overwhelming gridlock and I imagine it would be like that at gametime just didn't know if that was a realistic concern in the morning. We will be pregaming with our alumni association at:

Seawell's Catering
1125 Rosewood Drive
Columbia, SC 29201

Most hotels closer to the stadium are looking for $400-$500 a night which is insane to me. Thanks for your guys help

You should be fine. I would not go through Olympia though. Just go straight across the Blossom St bridge to Assembly St. Take a right and that takes you to Rosewood Dr. Take a right on Rosewod and Seawell's is a block up on the right. This way you can make a right hand turn into Seawell's. Traffic flow is usually pretty good if you go that way and the police do a good job of keeping things moving. Assembly street is turned into virtually a one way street to the stadium with about 5 or 6 lanes of traffic. You could have a little bit of a wait at Blossom and Assembly to make that right, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Reactions: TheCockyGasMan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT