ADVERTISEMENT

A few additional tidbits....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Morrell

Jun 1, 1998
I have confirmed that Joe Hills and Mark Barnes are indeed eligible for medical hardships (as "uscincayce" posted yesterday) and USC does plan to apply for one for each of them. The rule was changed this year by the NCAA and they made it friendlier to the student athlete in terms of the number of games they can participate in before suffering an injury. Hills' knee has not healed properly and M. Barnes has battled multiple injuries.

As for other potential redshirt candidates, Hutch Eckerson is a definite and will not be participating at all this season. Don't be surprised if Vandaral Shackleford and Bobby Wallace do indeed play again before season's end.

On to some recruiting news...

For obvious reasons, I'm not going to name the prospect at this point in the process, but I can tell you there is one recruit that may seem like a big priority for USC who really is not. I'll name him later in the process once the time is right. This particular recruit's senior film is less than impressive and USC will not be disappointed if they miss on him.

Offensive lineman B.J. Brand has some academic issues he's working through that may prevent USC from taking him. If they improve, I expect them to sign him. If not, look for him to end up at Troy.

Offensive lineman David Spurlock is ready to commit to USC, but they are waiting to take a thorough look at his senior film before deciding whether to add him to the fold.

The Gamecocks are still in good shape with Charles Whitlock. They've talked to him about playing receiver, cornerback and helping them as a return man. They don't have many on the team with his qualities with the ball in his hands.

Alabama is not going to offer linebacker Jacoby Thomas, and that's the offer he's holding out for. They're looking for bigger linebackers for their system, so that should be to USC's benefit.

E.J. Abrams-Ward may be the best overall prospect in North Carolina this year, and USC is working hard to become a bigger factor with him. He plays QB for his high school team, but USC likes him as a big, fast, athletic WR. North Carolina likes him as a TE, while other teams are recruiting him to play LB or DE.

Finally, don't be surprised if the running back the Gamecocks ultimately sign to go with Eric Baker is a guy who's currently completely off the radar.
This post was edited on 10/24 9:57 AM by Tony Morrell

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.