ADVERTISEMENT

A few interesting Media Day tidbits...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
A few nuggets I picked up from USC's football team media day today…

Sophomore WR Pharoh Cooper said that spur Jordan Diggs has been the toughest matchup for him in the one-on-ones and pass skeleton. Cooper cited how physically Diggs plays as the reason for this. Diggs was listed by GCC as one of the top five performers of Saturday night's practice due to what he showed in coverage.

I asked cornerback Rico McWilliams who the toughest matchups were for him in practice and he gave some interesting insight into several of the receivers.

He said that the toughest was Shaq Roland. He said that while covering Damiere Byrd was difficult because of his straight line speed, he said Roland gets to his top end speed very quickly and that he basically do some of everything including leaping over you. He said that Nick Jones was a tough cover because of his experience and that he "knows what he's doing." He said Jones was a very smart receiver. He also mentioned Shamier Jeffery and said "some of the stuff he catches…" before just shaking his head.

As I've mentioned previously, Cedrick Cooper is up in the 240 range and can run a sub-4.4 forty. After talking with him and some others today, his biggest adjustment in moving to defensive end has been learning how to engage 300-pound offensive linemen and using his hands and using his speed to get around them. I was told that he's had a very good first couple of practices as well, but of course once the pads come on that will tell the story of where he's at with his progress.

I got the sense that Joe Robinson feels the team will benefit from having more experience across the board this season at key special teams positions such as safety and linebacker. The wide receivers have also been pivotal for USC on special teams lately, and some of USC's RB corps could also play a role there this season. With special teams, you obviously want guys that move well, speed, and physicality but to create continuity the coaching staff has to identify those guys very early and try to get everyone on the same page going into the season.

Robinson raved about kicker Elliott Fry. He said that Fry handles attention and pressure very well and that he's constantly looking to improve. As an example, he said that Fry mentioned a couple things in practice on Saturday that he was really trying to work on to make himself better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News