ADVERTISEMENT

A little bit about S. Dakota WBB opponent for Sunday

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
Ranked in the top 25 and considered # 2 mid major

i

2. South Dakota (11-1)

Now 4-0 against the major conferences after recent wins against Ohio State and Creighton, South Dakota saved the biggest test for last, with Sunday's trip to South Carolina (SEC Network, noon ET). The Coyotes are second in the nation in 3-point accuracy and third in 3-pointers made. South Carolina's first six opponents shot 19.2% from long range, but the Gamecocks' past five opponents shot 40%. Previous ranking: 3

Who are the leading candidates for mid-major player of the year?

Ciara Duffy, South Dakota: A year after Macy Miller wrapped up her career at South Dakota State, the state is still home to the best the mid-major ranks have to offer. Duffy leads Summit League players in assists and ranks third in scoring and 12th in rebounding. Oh, yes, she's also averaging more than two 3-pointers per game at a 54% clip, the third-best accuracy in the nation. She accumulated those numbers against a more demanding schedule than those of most of the teams in the conference. With lines such as Duffy's in a win against Ohio State (22 points, 12 rebounds, 7 assists), the 6-foot guard plays a hard-to-define and harder-to-defend game similar to that of Oregon State's Mikayla Pivec, who is vying for national player of the year.

I’m thinking more like 20-25. As everyone knows, there is a huge talent drop in Women’s Basketball. It’s definitely not like Men’s Basketball. There are no Cinderella Women’s Basketball Programs in the NCAA.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Do any of y’all research opponents before just picking out a number that we win by?
I expect to win Sunday and believe that we have superior talent, but don’t sleep on SDak. Louisville slept on UT Martin and was lucky to win in double OT on Thursday.
SDak starts 4 guards all 5’10” or taller with a 6’3” center. They have an 8 player rotation all Jrs and Srs. Those eight players shoot 49% from the field, 45% from 3pt, and 83% from ft. Those are elite numbers. No Chic fil a Sunday.
We are a final four team that right now is better defensively than on offense and we are pretty damn good on offense. We could win by 40 or it could be a game going into the fourth quarter.

Reactions: Gamekem
We're not guaranteed a big win, but we're at home and SD isn't used to playing in front of a big crowd. I think Dawn will have them ready.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT