ADVERTISEMENT

ACC compared to SEC this year. Match em up. It's laughable.

uscusc1987

May 30, 2008
Go from best to worst and tell me who wins on a neutral field.
Bama vs Clempson
Georgia vs Syracuse
LSU vs Virginia
Kentucky vs Virginia Tech
Texas AM vs Miami
Mississippi State vs Duke
Florida vs Boston College
Auburn vs Georgia Tech
USC vs NC State
Vandy vs Wake
Mississippi vs FSU
Missouri vs Pittsburgh
Tennessee vs Louisville
Arkansas vs UNC

Seriously, South Carolina would lose to Clempson Clempson and I guess possibly 1-2 other games at the most. 11-1 to 9-3 would be the season. Most likely 10-2.

You can change the order around some after the first 2 listed, but it would be same result. I seriously don't see more than 1 game the acc would win if you match them up from best to worst on a neutral field. Somebody would luck up and win one.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonesz21
I am not a prognosticator, but i dont see a sure fire ACC win in the bunch.. Maybe FSU would play really really well and Beat ole Miss, Maybe Ga tech's crazy Triple option would screw up the Athletes at Auburn?? I truly do not see one game where vegas would have an ACCC team favored..

Go from best to worst and tell me who wins on a neutral field.
Bama vs Clempson
Georgia vs Syracuse
LSU vs Virginia
Kentucky vs Virginia Tech
Texas AM vs Miami
Mississippi State vs Duke
Florida vs Boston College
Auburn vs Georgia Tech
USC vs NC State
Vandy vs Wake
Mississippi vs FSU
Missouri vs Pittsburgh
Tennessee vs Louisville
Arkansas vs UNC

Seriously, South Carolina would lose to Clempson Clempson and I guess possibly 1-2 other games at the most. 11-1 to 9-3 would be the season. Most likely 10-2.

You can change the order around some after the first 2 listed, but it would be same result. I seriously don't see more than 1 game the acc would win if you match them up from best to worst on a neutral field. Somebody would luck up and win one.

There is absolutely no denying the fact that the ACC is down this year. I don't think any reasonable person would argue with you there. However, doesn't it bother you that you just rated South Carolina 9th out of 14 teams in your own rankings? Being a below average team in an above average conference doesn't make you a good football team. Actually, it makes it harder for you to get to the top.

Also, if you matched up those same schools over the last three to five years you would find a much different result. As a matter of fact, the ACC was 16-12 against the SEC from 2014-2016.

There is absolutely no denying the fact that the ACC is down this year. I don't think any reasonable person would argue with you there. However, doesn't it bother you that you just rated South Carolina 9th out of 14 teams in your own rankings? Being a below average team in an above average conference doesn't make you a good football team. Actually, it makes it harder for you to get to the top.

Also, if you matched up those same schools over the last three to five years you would find a much different result. As a matter of fact, the ACC was 16-12 against the SEC from 2014-2016.

Right...having the ninth best house out of fourteen in your neighborhood makes it hard to sell.

THIS year. That is what the OP is all about, . and yes South Carolina (so far this year) is the 7th or 8th best team based on results..

THIS year. That is what the OP is all about, . and yes South Carolina (so far this year) is the 7th or 8th best team based on results..

Fair enough. If all we are talking about it THIS YEAR, the SEC is stronger than the ACC. No argument from me.

However, I was replying to comments from above such as the one from 67gamecock where he states "It's ALWAYS been this way. ALWAYS." This makes the conversation about much more than just this year.

I am not a prognosticator, but i dont see a sure fire ACC win in the bunch.. Maybe FSU would play really really well and Beat ole Miss, Maybe Ga tech's crazy Triple option would screw up the Athletes at Auburn?? I truly do not see one game where vegas would have an ACCC team favored..
Sadly for us the only one that really matters is Clemson/South Carolina

It's the reason why beating Clemson five times in a row didn't hurt them and didn't help us. They won the ACC during that, because how could they not? And we made it to Atlanta once and got destroyed.

Exactly. They lose the Saturday after thanksgiving and still have a conference championship and BCS game to play. They could build even when they were below us.
Now they are good but every week it’s like they play a D2 team. Partly because of their team but mostly because of their opponents.

The problem with your logic, is that if you matched 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc...It would be ALWAYS. 2014-2016 was not that way. It was normally a higher rated ACC vs a lower rated SEC.

That record want acc num 2 vs Sec num 2 on down. That was the argument. Yes we know over the last few years the acc number one has beaten us as we were middle of the road Sec or lower.

tenor.gif

Who doesn’t love cupcakes?

This is the kind of argument that we like to lean on to make ourselves feel better about losing. Even though we do play in a traditionally tougher football conference. One would think that we could use that SEC banner to bring in better talent than an ACC team. But with very little tradition than them or our fellow SEC east teams, we have a tough road to being good, great, or elite. It pisses me off that we squandered those 11 win seasons under Spurrier "The Quitter".

A perfect storm of a weak ACC and a terribly flawed BCS system put Clemson where they are today. Dabo used that to his advantage and that's the biggest reason they are who they are.

I wish the ACC could give Clemson some competition, but there's only a few schools that truly give two craps about football and those schools are way down this year. The majority of the fan bases in that conference are already focused on basketball.

A 5-4 Pitt team is leading the coastal division. That should say everything you need to know about the ACC.

A 5-4 Pitt team is leading the coastal division. That should say everything you need to know about the ACC.
yeah the one team other that Clemson who IMO had the best chance to finish the season in the top 25 based on their remaining schedule lost. The acc's true colors are starting to show.

For arguments sake, and facts:

1. SEC vs ACC historical record is:
307-164-10 in favor of the SEC

2. The ACC is worse this year than most, and they have NEVER been a football conference

3. PITT at 5-4 is in 1st place in the ACC's Coastal Division / enough said

4. Clemson currently has a really good football program, there is no argument. However they quite frankly have zero competition. Not their fault that FSU, Miami, VT, and others SUCK now, but it is a fact.

5. The best thing that ever happened to USC was joining the SEC, but it has made our patch to success in most sports tougher. I LOVE the tradition of our opponents bring to WB and that we witness on the road. Stadiums with 90,000 fans vs 20-40,000 at WF, DU, UNC, UVA, PITT, Syracuse, and other venues.

6. USC has numerous conference titles, division titles, and three National Championships since joining the SEC. I'm oid enough to remember the ACC days if Carolina sports. No damn comparison in which conference I prefer the best.

7. The biggest advantage that CU has for their football program is their membership in the ACC. They simply are better, pour more money into their program, and have the best fan support than ANY other ACC school. Basically there are four 'football schools' in the ACC. Those being Clemson, FSU, VT, and Miami. The rest are waiting for basketball to begin in November.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT