ADVERTISEMENT

After watching SEC media days I feel a little better about the upcoming season.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
The obvious two keys (which everyone knows)
1. Keeping Jake healthy.
2. And a much improved defense.

But, if those don't happen we are looking down the barrel of another losing season.

Reactions: SumterGamecockGuy
1. Keeping Jake healthy.

But, if those don't happen we are looking down the barrel of another losing season.

What has happened to make the defense "much improved"? What has happened to make the O-Line any better?

I worry about both OL/DL. If we keep Bentley healthy we probably beat Kentucky last season. We were pretty competitive with A and M, Georgia and Miss State without Bentley. Can't help but wonder if we could have been an 8 win team had he started earlier.

If we lose Bentley we are going to be ranked below 105 in total offense and lucky to score 10 points a game. Take that to the bank.

I'm hoping the offense can play ball control and move the chains enough to keep the defense off the field or the defense can cause enough turnovers to offset some of the yardage given up. I'm not buying that we will be great on defense by any means.

What has happened to make the defense "much improved"? What has happened to make the O-Line any better?

The defensive players are playing the same scheme for the second year for the first time in 3 or 4 seasons. We have much more speed and athleticism at DB, and unlike last off season, our entire DL was able to participate in off season strength training workouts. Sawyer and Blackshear did not participate last off season due to injuries.
On the offensive side, we have more depth on the OL with 2 guys returning from season long injuries and added a JUCO transfer. Also the second season in the same scheme for the offensive guys so the play book should be wide open for our skill position players.

We won't be great on defense besides the word "great" has become the most over used word in the English language. Hopefully the JUCO guys will be able to step into the schemes and help out right away but overall we will be stronger physically also. Getting Skai back will mean automatic improvement not just with his skills but with his leadership. From what I have read this group is tight with each other and with the staff and chemistry is huge. It's like Albert Einstein said " Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character" and the attitude is good with this team it appears.

Reactions: SumterGamecockGuy
The only other thing I would add is Jake spoke very confidently of the offensive at SEC Media days. He made the comment that offensively they are good enough to play with anyone, or something to that affect. That gives me some hope.

I worry about both OL/DL. If we keep Bentley healthy we probably beat Kentucky last season. We were pretty competitive with A and M, Georgia and Miss State without Bentley. Can't help but wonder if we could have been an 8 win team had he started earlier.

If we lose Bentley we are going to be ranked below 105 in total offense and lucky to score 10 points a game. Take that to the bank.

I'm hoping the offense can play ball control and move the chains enough to keep the defense off the field or the defense can cause enough turnovers to offset some of the yardage given up. I'm not buying that we will be great on defense by any means.
Why do you assume Bentley will be lost? The lines on both side will be significantly improved this year, which doesn't mean we will be great on either, but I think both will hold it's own. Be optimistic, there is reason, I know it has been a tough three years, but we aren't that far removed than the best stretch in USC history, and power house level.

The defensive players are playing the same scheme for the second year for the first time in 3 or 4 seasons. We have much more speed and athleticism at DB, and unlike last off season, our entire DL was able to participate in off season strength training workouts. Sawyer and Blackshear did not participate last off season due to injuries.
On the offensive side, we have more depth on the OL with 2 guys returning from season long injuries and added a JUCO transfer. Also the second season in the same scheme for the offensive guys so the play book should be wide open for our skill position players.
Well put, fair assessment...

1. Keeping Jake healthy.

I don't see many people talking about this but IMHO, is the single biggest factor of what kind of season we have.

Why do you assume Bentley will be lost? The lines on both side will be significantly improved this year, which doesn't mean we will be great on either, but I think both will hold it's own. Be optimistic, there is reason, I know it has been a tough three years, but we aren't that far removed than the best stretch in USC history, and power house level.

Don't think anyone thinks Bentley WILL be lost, but if he is, we're screwed. IMHO, he's the difference between a 7-9 win team and a 3-5 win team.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Can't play ball control. Well, we can if we score every time. We are going to have score as many points as possible. It will look like 2014.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Can't play ball control. Well, we can if we score every time. We are going to have score as many points as possible. It will look like 2014.

You think we will have one of our worst defenses in 10 years? You expect them to digress?

I see our D being very similar to last year. We will have to turn other teams over like we did last year to have a really successful year. QB play will be key. First, we need Bentley to play at a very high level. Second, we need QB play in our division to be as bad as last year. Might be possible with Tenn and aTm breaking in a new one, Eason still an unknown in my mind, as well as Fla. Might steal a couple games I'm not counting on if that's the case. Despite the D, I think we outscore some teams with suspect QB play. Something that didn't happen last year (UK, UGA)

Don't think anyone thinks Bentley WILL be lost, but if he is, we're screwed. IMHO, he's the difference between a 7-9 win team and a 3-5 win team.

@johnnyplaid Thank you for getting it. I don't WANT Bentley to get injured but IF it happens teams will stack the box and we will be lucky to throw a 5 yard forward pass. We have a good QB but absolutely no depth at that position. It will be harder to run and as most people have noticed our defense is a weakness.

Any USC fan that saw Dickie Demasi at QB knows what I'm talking about. If you're not that old, then just think about McElwain.

You think we will have one of our worst defenses in 10 years? You expect them to digress?

Maybe slightly better. If you look at the depth chart and see something different then I wish could be more optimistic.

Last edited:
@johnnyplaid Thank you for getting it. I don't WANT Bentley to get injured but IF it happens teams will stack the box and we will be lucky to throw a 5 yard forward pass. We have a good QB but absolutely no depth at that position. It will be harder to run and as most people have noticed our defense is a weakness.

Any USC fan that saw Dickie Demasi at QB knows what I'm talking about. If you're not that old, then just think about McElwain.
I thought Scar had a decent spring so saying we have NO depth at the position is not 100% correct and with our skill people a stacked box could be just what the Dr. ordered with a quick release.

I'm talking about depth at the QB position, not the team. Bentley is a game changer. Our offense was HOR-RI-BLE before Bentley took over. I hope he makes it through the next few years without so much as a hangnail.

Having said that, if he were to go down Deebo Samuel would probably be our best bet at QB and that tells you what depth we have at the QB position. And guys this is the SEC and there are a lot of years where a team doesnt start and end the season with the same guy.

With Bentley I think we win 7-8 games this year and maybe more. I'd compare this years team to the 1989 team. Before Todd Ellis went down the team was 5-1-1. After the Ellis injury, the team was 1-3 (only beat a really bad North Carolina team by 7) because it had no depth at quarterback. Like this team that team had a lot of skill position players (Harold Green, Robert Brooks, Mike Dingle) but without a QB they struggled to move the ball.

Maybe slightly better. If you look at the depth chart and see something different then I wish could be more optimistic.

I didn't say that. Just curious why you're expecting them to be worse. Why else compare it to 2014 and one of our worst defenses in quite a while?

I thought Scar had a decent spring so saying we have NO depth at the position is not 100% correct and with our skill people a stacked box could be just what the Dr. ordered with a quick release.

I don't know Jim. QB is such an important position. If it was that easy, it wouldn't matter who's under center and we all know that's not true.

I don't know Jim. QB is such an important position. If it was that easy, it wouldn't matter who's under center and we all know that's not true.
You're absolutely right but if Bentley went down (bite my tongue) we would have to simplify things enough so hopefully Scar or whoever could handle it.

How do you explain Clemson University adding new majors several years ago making it easier for JUCO guys to transfer?

Can you name three JUCO players that have signed with Clemson in the last five years? (Not counting those who may have gone to a prep school for a year without affecting their 4 years of eligibility.)

Can you name three JUCO players that have signed with Clemson in the last five years? (Not counting those who may have gone to a prep school for a year without affecting their 4 years of eligibility.)

This is a Gamecock site, so I have no interest in playing your little game, or researching anything about Clemson. I merely stated a fact that was well reported; Clemson University added several majors to make it easier for JUCO athletes to transfer. If you don't like it, then go somewhere else. Did Clemson not add new majors in an effort to make it easier to transfer? If the staff doesn't care to accept JUCO transfers, then why make it easier to accept them?

Reactions: Gradstudent
Okay. I can't find any statement from Clemson (or anybody else except for Big Tom) that they added majors that would make it easier for the football team to recruit JUCO players. Could this be a case of "fake news"? There is a lot of that going around these days. The fact is that Clemson very rarely recruits JUCOs. I can't name three in the last five years.

I don't know about Clemson, but I would surely love to have another Jasper Brinkley right now. With our depth issues on defense, I concede to Muschamp and staff to evaluate and bring in some JUCO's that can really help us out in the short term.

1. Keeping Jake healthy.

The offense will certainly have plenty of weapons at the skill positions and a pretty experienced OL.

As for the defense, it all depends on whether they get improved play from the DL. USC was #90 in the country last year in rushing defense and #97 in sacks. Improving on both of those stats will be the key. You have to think that a defensive coach like Muschamp will get that fixed over time.

Okay. I can't find any statement from Clemson (or anybody else except for Big Tom) that they added majors that would make it easier for the football team to recruit JUCO players. Could this be a case of "fake news"? There is a lot of that going around these days. The fact is that Clemson very rarely recruits JUCOs. I can't name three in the last five years.

http://www.tigernet.com/update/coach/New-majors-added-to-help-Clemson-recruit-JUCO-players-15152

As reported by your very own taternet. A simple Google search pulled up dozens of articles.

I don't appreciate you questioning my integrity.

Reactions: galebreak
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT