ADVERTISEMENT

Am I the only one who does not follow music AT ALL?

61 here and still love music and going to shows. This year have been fortunate enough to see Billy Strings, Dark Star Orchestra, Goose, and in the past two weeks Phish in Alpharetta and Widespread Panic in Asheville. Not bad for an old guy.

I did the Sirius thing a couple years ago for my work commute here b/c I do like oldies (50s/60s) and 80s/90s country. But I found that I was hearing the same songs multiple times a week while there were other songs I rarely or never heard. I don't know if they have contracts to play certain artists/songs more or less or whatnot. At one point, I heard "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys 3 times in one week. So I ended up dropping it. We do have Amazon Music on our phones to play kids music and I find that does as well if I ever do get a hankering for some oldies or something.
I have Elvira flagged as a favorite song on our radio so it alerts me anytime it’s playing on the satellite. What’s wrong with hearing it 3 times in a week?

I have Elvira flagged as a favorite song on our radio so it alerts me anytime it’s playing on the satellite. What’s wrong with hearing it 3 times in a week?
Ok funny story. One night playing a festival, I was singing Elvira. Came to the part "lips like cherry wine". I don't know why, but it came out "chips like larry wine". Judging by the crowd, nobody noticed, but our bass player did, he doesn't miss anything. I glanced at him he was rolling, hard to finish the song! :p

Last edited:
I know literally nothing about any current music. If you put a million bucks in front of me, I could not name 5 current songs and I’d be hard-pressed to come up with 5 current performers (is Beyoncé considered current?). My music knowledge doesn’t go past the 90s, and it’s spotty before then. I’ve just never been heavy into music and I’ve always been kind of mystified by those who are. A great friend of mine in grad school had thousands of songs on his computer. I was always amazed since I couldn’t name 1000 songs if you gave me 100 years.
count me in with you. i could care less about any kind of music with the loan exception of classical music. if i go into someones home and music is blaring i immediately leave without an explanation. the young punks of today dont know what real music is.

We primarily listen to Kids Bop versions of modern music which can sometimes be drastically different than the original. It has though opened us up to some newer music like AJR and Marshmello collaboration songs that we listen to a lot.

I love music. Spotify Premium is one of the best investments I've ever made, considering the cost-benefit analysis.

I'll listen to a ton of different genres and years, but like the OP, I would be hard-pressed to name current mainstream songs or artists. To my point, I generally have to google the super bowl halftime artist since I've not heard of them before...
This x 1000

I know literally nothing about any current music. If you put a million bucks in front of me, I could not name 5 current songs and I’d be hard-pressed to come up with 5 current performers (is Beyoncé considered current?). My music knowledge doesn’t go past the 90s, and it’s spotty before then. I’ve just never been heavy into music and I’ve always been kind of mystified by those who are. A great friend of mine in grad school had thousands of songs on his computer. I was always amazed since I couldn’t name 1000 songs if you gave me 100 years.
For me, Rachmaninoff is "modern."

For me, Rachmaninoff is "modern."

d2d17cb7f706b717c63322c44dedaa6a84a3f769.gifv

I have always had limited interest in music. I have the same experience- friends who can rattle off the obscure names and details of half the bands that have ever made an album… I just don’t care that much. I know more about what I don’t like than what I do…

My music knowledge doesn't really go past early '60s. In the early '60s I had a nice record collection and went to every concert in Greenville ( we called them Rock and Roll shows when I was in high school). But once I started college I didn't have time to really follow music that much. I did some but not to any appreciable extend.

First time I ever heard of Guy Clark, I was at a concert and he was opening for Nanci Griffith. Became an instant fan.
BTW: Love your post.
Read yesterday that Nanci passed away. 😞

Does anyone else watch the show Shazam with Jamie Foxx? It’s a fun time and you can even play along on your phone. I do pretty well except for the current categories.

Read yesterday that Nanci passed away. 😞

Does anyone else watch the show Shazam with Jamie Foxx? It’s a fun time and you can even play along on your phone. I do pretty well except for the current categories.
This just breaks my heart. Me and the wife were big fans of hers.
Thanks for the music Nancy, RIP
Last of The True Believers

When I hit 40, it all started sounding the same. There are times when I crave it but it seems to stimulate me less the older I get.

With one exception - college marching bands. I often listen to bands around the SEC at full volume and it still gives me chills. So full of emotion and reminds me of the intense feelings, euphoric highs and soul-crushing lows we all have felt for our teams. In a way it’s like a soundtrack for some of the most intense and emotion-filled moments of our lives.

I love music, it is my go to relaxation, my go to escape, my go to contemplative time. I listen to 98% instrumental contemporary jazz. No angry, depressing, mindless human words. Just great musicianship, and the range of human emotion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT