ADVERTISEMENT

Angel Reese uses Gamecocks as excuse to diss Clark

stu1cocks

Nov 19, 2019
Interesting, Angel Reese gave Caitlan Clark a couple of hand gestures today and partially used Caitlan's disrespect of us as justification. And then she played the race card to futher justify her classlessness. I don't know what to say about all that. Mulkey can coach for sure but you won't find one iota of sportsmanship or class on any of her teams as evidenced by her dancing all over the court during the game and not being called for it even when she mnade contact with an official at one point.

I don’t watch basketball so I missed it. I don’t care about Jon Cena you can’t see me hand gestures. But do spill the race card drama!

Interesting, Angel Reese gave Caitlan Clark a couple of hand gestures today and partially used Caitlan's disrespect of us as justification. And then she played the race card to futher justify her classlessness. I don't know what to say about all that. Mulkey can coach for sure but you won't find one iota of sportsmanship or class on any of her teams as evidenced by her dancing all over the court during the game and not being called for it even when she mnade contact with an official at one point.
Have you seen all the people come out and call her classless? Did you notice what all them look like? Its easy to infer that race is an issue when a bunch of middle aged white men call her classless and having poor sportsmanship, when that wasn't the narrative when Clark did it. Race may not have been a factor, but I certainly can understand why Reese would feel like it might be.

Last edited:
Have you seen all the people come out and call her classless? Did you notice what all is them look like? Its easy to infer that race is an issue when a bunch of middle aged white men call her classless and having poor sportsmanship, when that wasn't the narrative when Clark did it. Race may not have been a factor, but I certainly can understand why Reese would feel like it might be.

As I have said, it's the usual suspects. You can predict it easily.

They never once do any self reflection and wonder maybe they just don't see it because they don't have the same experience. It obviously it never occurs to them. It is what it is. Thankfully, they don't matter.

But again, it's a smaller and smaller group at this point.

Last edited:
Its easy to infer that race is an issue when a bunch of middle aged white men call her classless and having poor sportsmanship, when that wasn't the narrative when Clark did it. Race may not have been a factor, but I certainly can understand why Reese would feel like it might be.

It's interesting that when Clark did it to another team, it wasn't a big deal. The discussion around her doing it was all positive.

It's interesting that when Clark did it to another team, it wasn't a big deal. The discussion around her doing it was all positive.

It was excessive on Reese’s part - following her around the court and trying to get in front of Clark to make sure it was seen.

But as the OP suggested, I don’t blame race for LSU’s players lacking class (or dignity) - they learned from their coach. That kind of behavior is celebrated by Mulkey. But, when you win, you can do what you want and everyone else just has to take it.

Clark’s response to it in postgame presser was excellent. She said it didn’t bother her — she went on to give the LSU players and Mulkey high praise. A bit of class on her part. Angel Reese has always been a classless player. Even in high school she was notorious for her classless comments and gestures to other teams and their players. She says she doesn’t tolerate disrespect yet she disrespects everyone she plays against.

Last edited:
Clark’s response to it in postgame presser was excellent. She said it didn’t bother her — she went on to give the LSU players and Mulkey high praise. A bit of class on her part. Angel Reese has always been a classless player. Even in high school she was notorious for her classless comments and gestures to other teams and their players. She says she doesn’t tolerate disrespect yet she disrespects everyone she plays against.
Wrong she did not respect us....She used the perceived disrespect of her SEC sisters (Lsu,USC)by Clarke, the IOWA coach , some fans and the media as motivation to the championship. She played her cards and she won.

People that are making this an issue have no clue of Caitlin Clark using the John Cena gesture at players all season. If you are going to dish it out, you have to take it. So, this is a non-issue to me. Just some butt-hurt people that wanted to see Caitlin Clark win.

Flanders is correct. The timing and intent to get in Clark's face at the end of the National Championship game was in poor taste. If she does that during a game, she would have been issued a technical.

However, microaggressions in Women's College Basketball aren't worth getting whipped up into a frenzy either. That's what rivalries are built on.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Did Clark actually do it to another team the same way Reese did?
It wasn't quite as vicious. However, she does it all the time after hitting 3 point shots and it can get quite annoying if you are on the other side of it. It was Reese's message of getting the last word and was to be expected if you ask me. If you put yourself out there as a talker or gesturer, you have to expect someone having the last word if you lose.

It wasn't quite as vicious. However, she does it all the time after hitting 3 point shots and it can get quite annoying if you are on the other side of it. It was Reese's message of getting the last word and was to be expected if you ask me. If you put yourself out there as a talker or gesturer, you have to expect someone having the last word if you lose.
But don't players gesture indiscriminately all the time in games? It was more annoying from Clarke because she was constantly making big plays.

If that had happened at the end of a men's game, there would have been a brawl. Also, if roles had been reversed and Clarke had done the same at that moment, she would have immediately been labeled persona non grata.

But don't players gesture indiscriminately all the time in games? It was more annoying from Clarke because she was constantly making big plays.

If that had happened at the end of a men's game, there would have been a brawl. Also, if roles had been reversed and Clarke had done the same at that moment, she would have immediately been labeled persona non grata.
Isn't that what a lot of people are trying to do with Reese right now? Honestly, I think it is a good thing. I hope Clarke remembers it all summer and it pushes her to make her game even better. That is how sports works. The winner gets the last word until there is another game. There will be another game and Clarke will have another chance to make her point that she is the best player in the women's game and can carry her team over the top next time. Until that time, LSU, Kim Mulkey, Angel Reese, and those surrounding that program have the soapbox. Iowa, Caitlin Clark and others have to take a backseat just like we had to do this past Friday.

I'm no fan of Reese, and I was pissed at the officiating during our game. I don't condone the way Reese did her gesture, shouldn't have followed her around the court, but the difference is, when Clark did it to Louisville, there was laughter like she was showing them up and she knocked them out of the tournament, but when Reese did it, it became a racial issue and automatically America started with the "them" crap. Sports have always had trash talking, every team does, let the crap go, the moment is gone

Did Clark actually do it to another team the same way Reese did?

I didn't watch the game. I read about it.

Does it have to be exactly 100% the same in your mind for it to matter?

Does the revenge always have to be 100% at the same level or is their any realization that if you dish it out, you might get it returned to you even worse?

Reactions: GreatestCock
when Clark did it to Louisville, there was laughter like she was showing them up and she knocked them out of the tournament, but when Reese did it, it became a racial issue and automatically America started with the "them" crap. Sports have always had trash talking, every team does, let the crap go, the moment is gone

I don't think it's lost on some people that when Clark did it- it was no big deal- and was laughed off- and then ignored.

but when others did it, it was a big deal for some people.

funny how that works.

I don't think it's lost on some people that when Clark did it- it was no big deal- and was laughed off- and then ignored.

but when others did it, it was a big deal for some people.

funny how that works.
I for one was glad she got her smug ass handed to her. Glad Reese reminded her of it too.

As I have said, it's the usual suspects. You can predict it easily.

They never once do any self reflection and wonder maybe they just don't see it because they don't have the same experience. It obviously it never occurs to them. It is what it is. Thankfully, they don't matter.

But again, it's a smaller and smaller group at this point.

While I don't see the issue with this incident, your assumption that it's a small group and getting smaller is bass ackwards. Trust me a lot more people are getting fed up with everything being about skin color or whatever the special group of the week is.
When everyone is treated as an individual and not as a member of some group, then we can claim success. Oddly most people already see it that way but yet some wont let go of the narrative. It's a nice crutch to fall back on when things don't go your way.

Reactions: mikeypen
While I don't see the issue with this incident, your assumption that it's a small group and getting smaller is bass ackwards. Trust me a lot more people are getting fed up with everything being about skin color or whatever the special group of the week is.
When everyone is treated as an individual and not as a member of some group, then we can claim success. Oddly most people already see it that way but yet some wont let go of the narrative. It's a nice crutch to fall back on when things don't go your way.

It's a small group - and getting smaller - notwithstanding some on this board.

Clearly some are "fed up" with it but again- it's a dwindling group overall. They are very clear they want some people to stay in their place and just shut up already. That's never going to happen- thankfully.

Most people claim they see it "that way" because society has changed so much (thankfully) that it's now against their interests to claim anything else- but their actions and words demonstrate otherwise.

It's a small group - and getting smaller.

Clearly some are "fed up" with it but again- it's a dwindling group overall. They are very clear they want some people to stay in their place and just shut up already.

Most people claim they see it "that way"- but their actions and words very clearly demonstrate otherwise.
You are so wrong on both. Carry on.

The problem with this is the extreme positions. One extreme thinks everything is about race, and the other extreme is in denial that race ever plays a factor.

Reactions: adcoop
The problem with this is the extreme positions. One extreme thinks everything is about race, and the other extreme is in denial that race ever plays a factor.
........Although I think this is more about a smug, annoying (but still great) player getting it handed right back to her in the last game of the season on the biggest stage. In the NBA, Stephen Curry gets away with being annoying because he is small and non-threatening. However, trust me Stephen Curry annoys a lot of players and its talked about through the league a lot. ......and he's Black. So, I see the issue is more of "Being a Nuisance" than any racial dynamic.

Um not in my mind. I still believe sportsmanship is important but most don't anymore.

I didn't watch the game. I read about it.

Does it have to be exactly 100% the same in your mind for it to matter?

Does the revenge always have to be 100% at the same level or is their any realization that if you dish it out, you might get it returned to you even worse?

Yeah things should probably be comparable if you're going to compare them.

Yeah things should probably be comparable if you're going to compare them.

Then you'd never compare anything - ever.

Because there are always differences.

If Clark rubbing it in the face of Louisville wasn't a big deal, but someone rubbing it in her face was a big deal, then I'd say the person that is upset is the real problem

unless of course you typically have a pattern of taking out a stop watch and comparing the exact amount of trash talking someone does and comparing it to the length of time someone else does it-

and then you take the words that you think they used and try to compare those to the other person.

Personally, I don't think all that is necessary to realize that Clark was trash talking and made a specific point to do it in the Louisville game and then got it handed back to her in the title game.

Then you'd never compare anything - ever.

Because there are always differences.

If Clark rubbing it in the face of Louisville wasn't a big deal, but someone rubbing it in her face was a big deal, then I'd say the person that is upset is the real problem

unless of course you typically have a pattern of taking out a stop watch and comparing the exact amount of trash talking someone does and comparing it to the length of time someone else does it-

and then you take the words that you think they used and try to compare those to the other person.

Personally, I don't think all that is necessary to realize that Clark was trash talking and made a specific point to do it in the Louisville game and then got it handed back to her in the title game.

You're just refusing to be reasonable.

Did Caitlin Clark pick out a particular Louisville and follow her around to do it?

You're like comparing two people speeding, but one of them actually ran over someone. Only an unreasonable person would say they're comparable events.

You're just refusing to be reasonable.

Did Caitlin Clark pick out a particular Louisville and follow her around to do it?

You're like comparing two people speeding, but one of them actually ran over someone. Only an unreasonable person would say they're comparable events.
The two situations really don't have to be compared. The point is that somebody is going to get you if you talk the talk and lose. Caitlin just needs to win it all next time and she can do all the John Cena's she wants. Caitlin is also a big girl. She wouldn't be a top notch basketball player by being soft. So, she doesn't need all this outrage in her defense and 99% of the people crying foul would get embarrassed by Angel Reese in a basketball game anyway. So, let them duke it out and she how it comes out if they play again next year.

The two situations really don't have to be compared. The point is that somebody is going to get you if you talk the talk and lose. Caitlin just needs to win it all next time and she can do all the John Cena's she wants. Caitlin is also a big girl. She wouldn't be a top notch basketball player by being soft. So, she doesn't need all this outrage in her defense and 99% of the people crying foul would get embarrassed by Angel Reese in a basketball game anyway. So, let them duke it out and she how it comes out if they play again next year.

So your team winning allows you to do whatever you want with no criticism for being obnoxious?

So your team winning allows you to do whatever you want with no criticism for being obnoxious?
Not really, but attacking a kid on Twitter or Message Boards does nothing about it. What you will find as you age, is that you have no control over how someone responds to you. You only have control over how you put yourself out to this world. For example, a lot of people didn't like how the Miami Hurricanes celebrated in the 80's. Could you really do anything about it? No. The only way you shut them up was to win.

Not really, but attacking a kid on Twitter or Message Boards does nothing about it. What you will find as you age, is that you have no control over how someone responds to you. You only have control over how you put yourself out to this world. For example, a lot of people didn't like how the Miami Hurricanes celebrated in the 80's. Could you really do anything about it? No. The only way you shut them up was to win.

You're just talking out of both sides of your mouth at this point.

It was pretty obvious that Reese was being obnoxious and anyone defending it is sticking their head in the sand one that one.

You're just talking out of both sides of your mouth at this point.

It was pretty obvious that Reese was being obnoxious and anyone defending it is sticking their head in the sand one that one.
Actually, I am admitting that Reese was being obnoxious and stating that a lot of people don't care because Clarke has been obnoxious to players all year and nobody said a thing. She had it coming in my opinion.

Actually, I am admitting that Reese was being obnoxious and stating that a lot of people don't care because Clarke has been obnoxious to players all year and nobody said a thing. She had it coming in my opinion.
Pretty sure Raven got back at Clark by sinking the next couple of 3's she took. Suddenly Clark was out guarding her. That's how you get revenge not with cheap talk and gestures but by sticking buckets. Unfortuanately, the rest of the team couldn't do it.

Pretty sure Raven got back at Clark by sinking the next couple of 3's she took. Suddenly Clark was out guarding her. That's how you get revenge not with cheap talk and gestures but by sticking buckets. Unfortuanately, the rest of the team couldn't do it.
Reese did that too. You guys are trying to tell this kid how to win and be a sportsman and I don't think that's fair. Especially, when Clarke was allowed to clown people all year. The minute Clarke gets a little of her own medicine, everyone wants to whine about sportsmanship. You guys can have a problem with Reese all you want. I'll take someone with some edge to her on my team all day long. I bet you Kim Mulkey will to. Maybe if we had a little of that, we would have won Friday night. I know the Sportsmanlike thing is to be modest and shake hands after the game. However, if you played in any sort of sport at a high level, the goal is to kick the other team's "you know what" and let 'em know about if that is what you choose to do.

Trust me, you can win and not belittle your opponent in the process. Nobody does it anymore, so nobody knows what it looks like. Of course the goal is to win. Be classy in doing it is all I am saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT